keeping oil off header during oil change???

cozmo2312

anyone have any tips?

i tried to make a tin foil funnelish thing last oil change and i still got oil on my header.

anyone have a better solution?

I use the cut off top of one of the angled plastic oil bottles to direct the oil into the pan thru the spout.

Cheers,

MrHix

anyone have any tips?

i tried to make a tin foil funnelish thing last oil change and i still got oil on my header.

anyone have a better solution?

I have always found that works for me, but is is a matter of making the tin foil cover the header across the length and width that you need and that the sides are turned up to funnel any spills down to the waiting catch pan. I double the tin foil to make it hold it's shape better. The other option is to remove the header assembly, but if you do you should replace the expensive crush washers, and it is a lot more work.

Trial and error will get it to work for you. I used to just let the header get oily and just use simple green and water to rinse it off after the change was done.

well color me dumb.

the bike was on a pitbull rear stand, took it off the stand and got it's lean on. not a drop of oil on the header with the bike on the sidestand.

+1 I always change it on the sidestand which also helps drain it completely. I just wipe off any that gets on the headers or engine casing after removing the oil filter. Or just spray brake clean or bean clean.

+1 I always change it on the sidestand which also helps drain it completely. I just wipe off any that gets on the headers or engine casing after removing the oil filter. Or just spray brake clean or bean clean.

Ditto! Just put a drip tray under the bike as the floor is harder to clean than the headers.

well color me dumb.

the bike was on a pitbull rear stand, took it off the stand and got it's lean on. not a drop of oil on the header with the bike on the sidestand.

----------
Same question on theother form.
I just commented to.
It's worth it here.

Be careful using brake cleaner around heat (as in cleaning off a header and then then firing up the bike - in this case).
Brake cleaner when heated has been shown to convert to phosgene gas - very poisonous! Phosgene gas was used in World War I in the trench warfare to kill. Some countries even now stockpile it as chemical warfare.
Be careful with brake cleaner around any heat source.

Look it up on-line.

I start off on the centerstand then go to the sidestand for complete drainage then just clean everything up or just wash it before reinstalling my chin cowl

Drip-schmip! I just let it burn off the headers... smells AWESOME! Makes a great smoke screen! :tup:

Seriously, I just wrap the header with a piece of foil, drain the oil, then peel off the foil when it is over.

If you want to make something more permanent, take a soda can and cut off the top and bottom then split it up the side. You now have a nice sturdy coil of aluminum that will wrap and clamp itself to the header. :tup: The oil will drip onto this and you just pop it off and let it rest on the drain pan afterward.

I never really bother about it since its so little from the oil filter, and it cleans up easily. The rest burns off, I just don't like that method since the smoke makes it look like something is wrong with your bike.

Back