K&N pod air filters Yes or No?

fazer1sniper

Been thinking about going with the k&n pod air filters on the 04 skunk. Was planing on the air induction removal and was wondering if the pod filters would be a good idea as well. Two questions: 1.Dose his mod require re-jetting? 2. In wet weather, do I run a risk of sucking up water into the carbs?

It is where you remove a portion of the lip that would obstruct the flow or air into carb. A very small lip that helps smooth out the flow of air to the carb.

I won't even pretend that I understand of the mechaniacs of what is taking place....but here are some pictures....

P1000998.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010007.jpg

Last edited:
According to Ivan, the pod filters work best in conjunction with the ported intake boots. Rejet with ivan's MB kit and buy a slip-on or full exhaust. Twist throttle and rip. I just re-installed my carbs this morning and put the K&N pods on. What a difference man... Those pods sound sweet too, you can hear em suck lol

Anyone have pictures of an FZ with pods? I think it would lean towards looking 'tacky', but then I lean towards 'purist' on a lot of mods to the overall look of the bikes.

boots... I could take them or leave them... no HUGE performance gain.... it's a matter of a couple horses... and a lot of noise... pod filters are loud....

For the ported boots.... anyone that spends $150+ for ported boots.... well... deserves to spend $150+ on ported boots.... it's so amazingly easy.... there's NO reason no to do it yourself.... if someone needs a set ported... drop me a PM... I might do it for you... make a video... and post for everyone else to see how easy it is.

It is as easy as Aaron says, a dremel, some burnt rubber smell, and some time to make the lip disappear.

the first boot I did, I went a bit too deep and exposed some of the metal, but does not really affect anything, and you don't see it when installed. The rest came out pretty decent.

and this coming from someone who never did ANYTHING with carbs until the FZ....

I run K&N filters and have gotten caught in the rain the K&N's do make a bit of a difference, the bike does breathe better! As for rain it won't hurt it helps clean the carbs, as for sucking water in I've never had a problem with it.

Anyone have pictures of an FZ with pods? I think it would lean towards looking 'tacky', but then I lean towards 'purist' on a lot of mods to the overall look of the bikes.

I'll have to get some pics up, I just put mine on the other day and they look awesome. They are completely visible unlike a lot of bikes out there running pods and they don't look tacky at all imo. I say go for it!

Don't get me wrong, it may look great, I guess I'm just still in love of the stock looking FZ.....oh, you know, mabe a can and seat or like that, but it may look carved out with the black plastic air cleaner box missing and expose a rats nest of hoses and 'stuff'.

Ok.... I saw my first FZ1 Gen 1 with the pods, of course it was just a picture, but it looked pretty clean and leaned up the look of the bike. I'm sure as VA says, it would have a new and entertaining sound to it, with the intake tract wailing....:) :) The stock bike has so much 'stuff' under the tank, I wouldn't know where to start..lol. I just cleaned the air cleaner ellement, or rather blew it out, it really didn't need it, but I wanted to make sure as I'm coming up on 8K with the bike. But looking down on all the 'stuff' it would be half a day removing everything to even install pods, and pluging up all the hoses and routing things for a un-cluttered look.

And back from the dead this post comes!!

So, after noticing that my intake boots are starting to crack, I began to think about K&N Pods.

Do these replace the intake boot parts that are cracking? How difficult is to replace them? Am I going to have to take the carbs off to do it?

And back from the dead this post comes!!

So, after noticing that my intake boots are starting to crack, I began to think about K&N Pods.

Do these replace the intake boot parts that are cracking? How difficult is to replace them? Am I going to have to take the carbs off to do it?

+1 (back from the dead again..)

So... I missed this last time. But... The boots that are cracking will not be replaced by going to pod filters... That's the wrong side of the carbs... The pod filters would replace the air box.. The boots are on the engine side of the carbs...

A note on cracking though.. The carb boots are exceptionally thick... Before you get too concerned about replacing them because they're cracked, start the bike and spray some carb cleaner or WD-40 at the suspect cracks... If the idle doesn't change, the boots aren't cracked all of the way through... If the cracks really bother you, get a tube of black RTV and fill the cracks... But... I've never seen a set of boots that had cracked all of the way through... They really are amazingly thick.

back from the dead again...

I have recently been considering running air filter pods. Where can I get K&N? how much are they? I found a cheap alternative on Amazon.com... also does anyone know what size MM the filters would have to be to fit onto the carb boots?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Filters-YAMAHA-YX600-radian-86-90/dp/B005DHY0DI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1339954296&sr=8-10&keywords=air+filter+pods]Amazon.com: 4 POD Air Filters YAMAHA YX600 YX 600 radian 86-90 52mm: Automotive[/ame]

I have recently been considering running air filter pods. Where can I get K&N? how much are they? I found a cheap alternative on Amazon.com... also does anyone know what size MM the filters would have to be to fit onto the carb boots?

Amazon.com: 4 POD Air Filters YAMAHA YX600 YX 600 radian 86-90 52mm: Automotive

I got a set off amazon for like 20 bucks. They weren't K&N but work just fine. I ordered 60MM and got a snug fit. The band clamp tightens them right up. I measured the carb boot with dial calibers and the OD is 2.29 in., or 58MM. I would imagine anything from 54MM-62MM would work just fine since they tighten on with a band clamp. Maybe even bigger, or smaller.

Back