K & N Filter Fitting

Posted this on the FZ8 site where another guy had the same problem. My top air box cover will not sit properly with a K & N Filter properly installed. I really don't want the box to be permanently distorted.

I Have been in contact with K & N and sent photos. I have also been on a couple of forums and am not alone with this problem so maybe K & N have changed something and need to be told it does not fit.

Mate, I had the same problem about a year ago....... returned it and went back to the paper oem one.

Ballmead, what are the DNA ones like?

Mate, I had the same problem about a year ago....... returned it and went back to the paper oem one.

Ballmead, what are the DNA ones like?

Excellent mate, perfect fit and it has one of the most filtered surface areas of all the aftermarket filters.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Posted this on the FZ8 site where another guy had the same problem. My top air box cover will not sit properly with a K & N Filter properly installed. I really don't want the box to be permanently distorted.

I had the same exact problem. It's the metal retaining bracket contacting the a ridge on the top air box cover. Trim the metal ring about 3-5 mm along the outer perimeter on the top, left, and right. Then it will fit just fine. I wouldn't suggest trying to mod the top cover just in case you ever decide to go back to stock. I am. Also make sure the air box is seated evenly all the way around afterwards or else you will have air leaks. Good luck.

FZ8 also

I have an FZ8 and have the same problem w/K&N filter. Same air box I suppose. I did trim the upper part of the metal bracket but still had a gap. I will trim more to see if it get's better.

How ironic.. I *just* dropped a K&N in, yesterday and sure enough I have exactly the same issue on my 07!

I took the filter back out and carefully inspected it to figure out the cause. Take a look at the pics below. I'm pretty sure that no amount of trimming the metal plate will help.

As you can see, the plate fits perfectly inside the top of the box.. nothing to trim here.

9d.jpg

Here is where I think the problem lies: The height of K&N + plate (carefully seated) sits higher than stock.

K&N:

2ndr.jpg

Stock:

vx9b.jpg

See how the stock filter edge sits deeper in the box? I see no way of making this work.

Disappointing and annoying, since it takes 350 bolts and screws to get to the filter and now I'll have to go through it again *insert violin smiley here*

Do you think that if the top air filter cover isn't closed all the way it could cause a vibration at those seems where it's not touching? I noticed mine is warped from using a K&n filter and even now with the filter out, the case stays warped. Anyway to fix it aside from ordering a new one?

Do you think that if the top air filter cover isn't closed all the way it could cause a vibration at those seems where it's not touching? I noticed mine is warped from using a K&n filter and even now with the filter out, the case stays warped. Anyway to fix it aside from ordering a new one?

Vibration is not the issue. Unfiltered air getting sucked into the engine through the gaps is what would worry me. Can't think of a way to fix a warped cover. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

Hi Erci, I came to the same conclusion on the K&N filter. I was going to either cut some out of the groove to lower the filter on the seat, or cut some off the top of the filter to lower the metal bracket. Then I thought WTF, I paid good money for this. I called the company I bought it from, they replaced it with a BMC filter free of charge. Why should you have to mess with it. Get your money back & buy one that fits.

My brother bought a K&N filter for his Peugeot 205 GTi which didn't fit properly either. They need to lift their game.

As for the warped air box cover, stick it in the sun to heat it up & it should mould back to its original shape.

Back