Just stirring the pot

I used to want ink when I was younger. Most of my friends seem to have it. I couldn't ever decide on something I wanted for the rest of my life. Here in Richmond Va , most of the VCU students are covered in ink.

At 37 yrs old and being in the Army for 17 1/2 yrs I've had an earing for about 10 days until the hole closed up, never had a desire to go fwd with the tat and don't think it will happen anytime in the future, so, you're not alone. You're not alone, it just doesn't appeal to everyone contrary to what you may think.

Got up this morning and decided to stir up some thought. I'm old enough to be a Vietnam vet and a vet of a lot of other stuff as well, but one thing I never got into was inking my skin with graphics that didn't come with the original package. Tried the ear ring thing for about 20 years then ditched that brilliant idea for the same basic reason as not permanently screwing with the bod. I remember when the fad was to do something that caused a person to be a little different. Now you practically can't find a guy, or gal, for that matter, that doesn't have a pound of metal hanging from their ears or a few murals painted somewhere. Huh, just wondering how that's working for the 5 million people out there trying to apply for a job that's not behind the McDonald's counter? I guess I'm the one who's out of step, after 61 years I'm still clean, and different.

I'm 61, too. Vietnam vet, too.

As much ink as you see, more people don't have it than have it. At least that you can see. Mine is a tasteful little Sun King on my left shoulder. Hardly anyone sees it. (Including me.)

Got it when I was 34 from Lyle Tuttle in San Francisco.

To each his (or her) own.

Unfortunately it seems that tattoos have just become a huge fad. Just look at all of the tattoo shows on TV now. In a few years it will fade back out and many people will look at all the tattoos that they have that have no meaning other then they thought it was "cool" at the time.

I personally have thought long and hard about getting a tattoo in remembrance of my mother. I even drew up a sketch 3-4 years ago and still want to get it but don't trust an artist to get it right, as it is forever...

I am guessing that people with tatoos don't really care what stuffy folks think about tattoos. :poke:

Are you stirring the pot now? People do this for different reasons, and I agree some look like the Sunday comics. Good luck in the future covered in all that ink. A few in good taste in places you can cover with short sleeves when {stuffy} people are about is no big deal. Besides you got to admit even the stuffy members think my FZ1 tat is bad a$$.

I got my first and only tat when I was 59 cause my daughter wanted us both to have the same one for Xmas. So, mine is on my forearm and hers is on her lower back. To me, a tat only has value if it means something to you and not just a pic of a stupid bird. :)

Are you stirring the pot now?

Well kind of.... Seriously though, I do not know a single person that is ashamed of their tattoos. Most are quit proud and they really do not care what anyone thinks about it. Those who are invested enough in the topic to post in a motorcycle forum that don't even have any tatoos in my book are "stuffy". That does does not mean I don't like them! ;)

Besides you got to admit even the stuffy members think my FZ1 tat is bad a$$.

Indeed!

And yes I have two tattoos. Both on my shoulder. The second to cover up a tattoo of Tweetie Bird that I thought was cool in 1989. Before you laugh I met plenty of ladies on the beach back in the day that loved it. It served it's purpose. ;)

The new one is a slightly whimsical (close up) aztech style stone carving of the sun with flames around it. Tweetie Bird is now successfully and completely hidden in the flames. My mother was born in Peru and when I was a kid I had a photo of her somewhere around ruins with a sun dial stone carving. One of those things I always grew up thinking was cool.

I have no desire to get another... Until I saw the one of the FZ1. ;)

Last edited:
I cringe and think of dead end jobs when I see all of todays youth with their enlarged ear lobes. I believe it is called "gauging", but I wont even google it to confirm.

I wonder if the light will go on in this instance later on in life?!?

I cringe and think of dead end jobs when I see all of todays youth with their enlarged ear lobes. I believe it is called "gauging", but I wont even google it to confirm.

I wonder if the light will go on in this instance later on in life?!?

Previous generations said the same thing about other 'weird things' too don't forget. It seems that society rolls with the punches and each 'crazy freak generation' just becomes accepted. Eventually, another freakish generation will roll along to be judged by everyone. :D

Previous generations said the same thing about other 'weird things' too don't forget. It seems that society rolls with the punches and each 'crazy freak generation' just becomes accepted. Eventually, another freakish generation will roll along to be judged by everyone. :D

yes, but clothing, or the removal of said object, could not draw as much attention to it.

Remove the object from your ear, and you now have a huge hole with a saggin ear lobe.

I guess that is what will keep the plastic surgeons busy in the future years.

Back