Just picked up a sweet gen 2

Hey guys, new to the forum and FZ1 in general. My other ride is a 98 Honda Superhawk. Just found this 2008 locally here in upstate NY with under 6k original miles. So far I’m loving it, came with 2 brothers carbon pipe, power commander, k&n filter and dyno tuned/mapped. And the nelson rigg soft saddlebags are really trick! Thanks for keeping this forum going and happy riding!

Attachments

• IMG_1252.jpeg
    IMG_1252.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1083.jpeg
    IMG_1083.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
Welcome to what may legitimately be the smallest active forum on the internet! I thought my CBR forum was small but I think there are maybe 5 of us who post here on a semi-regular basis. 😄

How many miles on the Hawk? It looks sharp!

Oh, and hopefully you don't run into an issue with your oil/water pump on the FZ! Low miles usually means it sat for extended periods of time, allowing the myriad of seals, gaskets, and O-rings to dry out. I bought mine last summer with just over 8k on it, only to find that the very slight oil leak it came with was a serious issue beyond my mechanical ability to fix. Got the bike for a decent price but having to sink another $1k into it was a sour experience...

Welcome to what may legitimately be the smallest active forum on the internet! I thought my CBR forum was small but I think there are maybe 5 of us who post here on a semi-regular basis. 😄

How many miles on the Hawk? It looks sharp!

Oh, and hopefully you don't run into an issue with your oil/water pump on the FZ! Low miles usually means it sat for extended periods of time, allowing the myriad of seals, gaskets, and O-rings to dry out. I bought mine last summer with just over 8k on it, only to find that the very slight oil leak it came with was a serious issue beyond my mechanical ability to fix. Got the bike for a decent price but having to sink another $1k into it was a sour experience...

Hey Doc,

Thanks for the info! The VTR100F forum I belong to is similar, handful of knowledgeable guys post things/sell parts, but otherwise not much activity.
So my Superhawk has 24,500 miles or so, I’m the 3rd owner. Got it about 10 years ago now…nothing else like it and nobody makes V Twin sportbikes these days…
Anyhow, the guy I got my FZ1 from only put like 50 miles on it the last 5 years. I just did an engine flush/oil change today. Had to replace the oil drain plug o-ring cuz that was shot/fell apart in my drain pan lol!
Doesn’t seem to be any oil leaks or anything from what I can tell, but I’ll be sure to check everything over after I get more seat time on the bike. Cheers!

If you have no leaks from the oil pan area, you are probably gtg! Mine was very minor but had accumulated for quite some time apparently. I had to remove the headers to get it cleaned and found out there is a weep hole in the pan, which is where my leak was, leading to my very expensive repair.

Well, welcome aboard and hope you have a great summer riding!

Hey guys, new to the forum and FZ1 in general. My other ride is a 98 Honda Superhawk. Just found this 2008 locally here in upstate NY with under 6k original miles. So far I’m loving it, came with 2 brothers carbon pipe, power commander, k&n filter and dyno tuned/mapped. And the nelson rigg soft saddlebags are really trick! Thanks for keeping this forum going and happy riding!

Both are good looking bikes!

Like Doc mentioned keep an eye on the weep hole on the back side of the oil pan. It is primarily to be able to observe coolant leaking from the weep hole in the water pump. If the oil seal fails then oil will leak. I had to fix this recently as well unfortunately.

Welcome to the forum!

Both are good looking bikes!

Like Doc mentioned keep an eye on the weep hole on the back side of the oil pan. It is primarily to be able to observe coolant leaking from the weep hole in the water pump. If the oil seal fails then oil will leak. I had to fix this recently as well unfortunately.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks man, I’ll def keep an eye on it. I looked everything over again today after changing the oil this weekend, everything seems to be in proper order…🤞🏻
Happy riding!

Thanks man, I’ll def keep an eye on it. I looked everything over again today after changing the oil this weekend, everything seems to be in proper order…🤞🏻
Happy riding!

Good to hear! One other thing...do you know if the previous owner changed the rotor in the charging system? It has magnets that are not encased like the new design and can fly off with potential engine and/or stator damage. It's a pretty easy swap. There are several threads on this topic as well as YouTube videos.

These bikes are quite reliable otherwise so don't question your purchase!

Happy riding to you as well!

Wow. Just read this thread. I too just bought a Gen 2 with only 6300 miles on it. I previously moved on from my 2001 that I racked up 59k on. I'm now concerned about the oil/water issue. I did drive it to work the other day and noticed the overflow bottle was below the lower level and needed to be filled. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out now. :rolleyes:

Wow. Just read this thread. I too just bought a Gen 2 with only 6300 miles on it. I previously moved on from my 2001 that I racked up 59k on. I'm now concerned about the oil/water issue. I did drive it to work the other day and noticed the overflow bottle was below the lower level and needed to be filled. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out now. :rolleyes:

Yes, keep an eye on it but that may just be that it wasn't completely filled before.

Wow you must be on 2 wheels regularly to put 59kmi on your bike! I still find it amazing how little some people actually ride their motorcycles …anyhow, hope you get everything properly sorted on your new bike, safe riding!

My gen 1 was the perfect comuter bike. I drive 70 mile round trip even in the rain if its not pouring. I like the gen 2 setup but I have to get use to the new riding position lol.

On the coolant issue. I bought the bike from the original owner and he mentioned he had the fluid changed. I have to look up the receipt. I guess he had the stealer do it.

I had a 2003 that I bought new and really liked it. Had it for about 8 years. Overall I think I like the Gen 2 better because I don't have to clean the carbs haha.

I had a 2003 that I bought new and really liked it. Had it for about 8 years. Overall I think I like the Gen 2 better because I don't have to clean the carbs haha.
how often were you cleaning the carbs, and what do you define as cleaning? Full removal and bench clean, or fuel additives?

I bought my 2003 with 37k miles on it and currently have 130k miles on it. I just run the Lucas Oil Carb/Injector Cleaner through a full tank of gas every once in a while. Carbs have never been off the bike since I bought it.

But I also do not let it sit for long periods of time where the Ethanol can sit and breakdown.

A full disassembly and bench clean. I only had to do it once and while I had it out I put in an Ivan's jet kit. I was traveling a lot back then and couldn't avoid some long periods of letting it sit.

A full disassembly and bench clean. I only had to do it once and while I had it out I put in an Ivan's jet kit. I was traveling a lot back then and couldn't avoid some long periods of letting it sit.
Just once is not too bad, especially since you were upgrading the jet Kit.

For sure. I didn't want to do it again though LOL.
Yeah I hear ya! I think my Carb Boots will start disintegrating in a few years and need to be replaced, that is when I plan to pull the Carbs off the bike.

I know you don't have the bike anymore, but something I do with my Son's Quad after desert season is over is to run the tank dry, then pull the drain plug on the Carb to get all the gas out of it.

Then in the fall I put fresh gas in and it fires right up. without the gas sitting in there, no gunk builds up from the ethanol content, and the little gas that does not drain out will evaporate pretty quick.

Yeah I hear ya! I think my Carb Boots will start disintegrating in a few years and need to be replaced, that is when I plan to pull the Carbs off the bike.

I know you don't have the bike anymore, but something I do with my Son's Quad after desert season is over is to run the tank dry, then pull the drain plug on the Carb to get all the gas out of it.

Then in the fall I put fresh gas in and it fires right up. without the gas sitting in there, no gunk builds up from the ethanol content, and the little gas that does not drain out will evaporate pretty quick.

Yes, that is what I do with my lawn tractor. But, I ride my bikes year round except for the unavoidable idle periods due to travel. It's much easier to pull fuel injectors out so I prefer them 😁

Back