Just got my FZ1, now saying goodbye :(

ECUdoc

Well, having bought my FZ1 very recently and only accumulating approximately 1300 miles the entire time I owned it, it's time I reluctantly must say goodbye!!

Don't get me wrong, this is not my choice, I, lie a complete and total dumba** let my friend drive it and low and behold he laid it down. The damage to the right side is bad in my opinion. The front fairing will need to be rplaced, the radiator guard will need to be replaced, as well as rear subframe plastic, turn signals, mirror, and aftermarket exhaust. Not to mention the tank has a dent the size of a 50 cent piece!!

Luckily, HE WAS NOT SERIOUSLY HURT, and this guy and I have been friends since middle school (I am now 22) and he agreed to either buy the bike or replace the parts. I am going with buying the bike simply because I don't want something to go wrong down the road. Plus I priced a few Genuine yamaha parts and totaled it to around 2850 with the addition of all the aftermarket parts he fudged up!

We are still in the planning portions of how the repayment/compensation will be handled, however he wants to try and sell it AS IS, so I will post a for sale ad soon. So if anyone wants a good quality fixxer-uper please let me know.

So, I am going to try my best to buy another FZ1, but pickings are slim here in NC, especially for a used one, which is whats in my budget. If anyone has one that is willing to negotiate traveling a bit, please let me know!!!

One thing is for sure, both He and I learned our lesson tonight!!:eek5:

I'm glad your friend is OK.
I hope I don't sound like your father but I sadly did the math and I'm old enough to be (barely). The first thought that screamed out to me is GET IT IN WRITING!!!
Get the repayment agreement in writing. If you are worried it will hurt his feelings then tell him it's for tax purposes (or whatever you choose as your reason). Whatever you need to tell him to get it in writing. I have seen friends turn over 2 things: money and chicks!!! I'm serious - If you don't get it in writing you may very well be learning another life lesson.

Well it's the age old story playing all over again, but like you said, you pretty much know what you did wrong so no reason to go over it again. I'm glad your buddy is alright which is the main thing here. Whether your still close friends 3 months from now remains to be seen. I hope things go well and he does the right thing in this case. As for selling the bike, if you have the room and the time and patience, parting it out can usually get you the most money. The problem is you need room, time, and plenty of trips to the Post Office. Let us know what you decide to do and remember that sometimes when things look bad, they are not always as bad as you think. I know that OEM Parts are expensive but you can look into both used and aftermarket parts as well if you wanted to keep the bike. You'll spend half as much money. As long as your frame, motor, and front end is good, you can just replace the cosmetic stuff and fix the bike. Also, what about your insurance?

Don't get on youself too much. I just a month or so ago lent my spanking brand new FZ1 to my nephew and he did almost as much damage. Cost me about $1700-$2000 to fix it up. I don't want to know the exact price as it just reminds me what a numbnuts I was for letting him use it. But may I recommend taking the high road with your friend. I did not get on my nephew nor did I ask him to pay anything. I figured the fault was mine for lending it and he was fine which was the most important thing. Don't lose a very good friend over this. The bike is just a machine. Thank the powers that be that he's OK and accept whatever he's willing to give you but don't press the issue. It's how you handle these tough situations in life that will create your legacy, gracious or SOB.

I agree with Billy. If the bike can be ridden and there's no frame or major engine damage then replace the parts from ebay, this site, or FZ1OA site as you have the money. You're a good person for lending your friend something very valuable to you. You're a better person if you preserve this long time friendship.

Oh, and by the way, go to the thread "An Artist at Work." There is a man in Florida that fixed my tank dent which was something like yours. It cost $150 and I can't for the life of me see where the dent used to be. There is probably someone like that near you. Ask the bike dealerships and car dealerships. There's probably not millions of these guys but I'll bet there's someone like him near you.

there are plenty of used parts on ebay and the FZ1 sites to fix your bike not to mention plenty of used bikes.I guess you figured out what was wrong with it from your other post?

Have you looked at used parts? When I had my run in with the satanic barn cat, I bought all used parts on eBay. All were like new except they were half to a quarter of the price.

Let us see some pics maybe we can find some parts for you. Dont get to upset you may even like the bike more after it is repaired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you have every opportunity to make this turn out OK but it should also be wake-up call for everyone. Learn to just say "no" when someone wants to take your bike for a spin. It never occurs to the borower that there could be an accident and if the person doesn't have an endorsement on their license you can be in trouble too.

I think you have every opportunity to make this turn out OK but it should also be wake-up call for everyone. Learn to just say "no" when someone wants to take your bike for a spin. It never occurs to the borower that there could be an accident and if the person doesn't have an endorsement on their license you can be in trouble too.

I agree wholeheartedly! If your buddy or friend doesn't understand why you won't let he or she take a spin, then thats too bad for them. Most "riders" understand the "Oh, can I take a spin" rule, and won't even ask. If they are upset with you for saying "no", after you explained why, then I'd look to hang out with someone else. There are just some things in life that are "off limits", period.

That sounds nasty. Was it recently?

It was about two years ago now, I'd had the bike about 2 months! I have a very long gravel road I ride to get to civilization, and it was a little wet, and dark, and this black cat jumped out doing this ninja move, and of course my reaction was to swerve, even at 8 mph, the bike slipped right out from under me. I was amazed at all the damage a gravel road can do even at low speed.
As for the demon cat, he looked something like this in the headlight.. Lol...View attachment 5798

^ LMAO @ satanic barn cat.

To OP thanks for sharing, just reminds to me to say no if a friend ever asks. Hmm but what if it's a friend that has a bike but just never riden an FZ1?

LOL, see that night I'd have been out there with my rifle!

It was about two years ago now, I'd had the bike about 2 months! I have a very long gravel road I ride to get to civilization, and it was a little wet, and dark, and this black cat jumped out doing this ninja move, and of course my reaction was to swerve, even at 8 mph, the bike slipped right out from under me. I was amazed at all the damage a gravel road can do even at low speed.
As for the demon cat, he looked something like this in the headlight.. Lol...View attachment 5798

I'm still looking for an uncle there Norm....

Don't get on youself too much. I just a month or so ago lent my spanking brand new FZ1 to my nephew and he did almost as much damage. Cost me about $1700-$2000 to fix it up. I don't want to know the exact price as it just reminds me what a numbnuts I was for letting him use it. But may I recommend taking the high road with your friend. I did not get on my nephew nor did I ask him to pay anything. I figured the fault was mine for lending it and he was fine which was the most important thing. Don't lose a very good friend over this. The bike is just a machine. Thank the powers that be that he's OK and accept whatever he's willing to give you but don't press the issue. It's how you handle these tough situations in life that will create your legacy, gracious or SOB.

I agree with Billy. If the bike can be ridden and there's no frame or major engine damage then replace the parts from ebay, this site, or FZ1OA site as you have the money. You're a good person for lending your friend something very valuable to you. You're a better person if you preserve this long time friendship.

Back