Just got a 02 Fz1..now what???

Welcome Cowboy! Good to have you aboard. Nice bike you picked up. So I am assuming that the bike is stock except for the Yamaha Factory Slip-on. If so you may want to look into an Ivan's Jet Kit to quell the 3000rpm stutter. Also you may want to go with the A.I.S. removal kit. That will take care of any backfiring and popping on deceleration. The bike will run and sound better with these two mods. They are relatively inexpensive as well. Here is the link to the site. Ivan's Performance Products There are other kits available as well so I don't want to sound like a spokesman for Ivan's but that is the kit I am running, installed by Ivan personally as I am lucky enough to live within 30 minutes of his shop. I am sure that others here will give you their opinions as well. Listen to them all and then you can make your own decision. Until then, enjoy the forum and most of all, enjoy your new beast! You made the right choice. Billy.

ok... just from the picture... it has the GYTR pipe... so... logically, one would assume that something has been done with the Jetting... It has the Gen II Flat bar on it... not the stock Gen I bars... and the forks have been moved to the 7mm mark (or somewhere close) ...

Any ideas as to what else has been done to the bike?

Has it been jetted?

If jetted, any idea what jet kit?

If it's the Dale Walker (Holeshot) kit, it'll also have a timing advance installed... and a 1" hole drilled in the top of the air-box.... if it's the Ivan's kit, it'll have the snorkel cut in half on the air-box lid, and no timing advance.... it'll also have irreversible drilling done to the carbs.... Dale's kit uses stock needles and spacers, Ivan's kit uses "custom" needles... they look exactly like stock as far as the taper on the needles... but, they're shiny, and they have 5 positions for the clip.... additionally, it might be a Factory Pro Jet kit... which has different needles all together.

First off.... try to find out what's already been done to it.

After that, ride it for a while, and see what it needs.... you might be perfectly happy with the power, but find the suspension abysmal. If you're over 170-180lbs... the stock suspension isn't going to be performing correctly for your weight.... new springs front and rear will be needed at the bare minimum....

What do you plan on doing with the bike? sport riding? touring? a combination?

If touring, you might want the stock handlebars back, and some risers.... maybe a different windscreen.... a set of lower pegs, and a nice luggage setup.

If sport riding, you'll want a shorter windscreen, definitely some suspension work, some rearsets, some different gearing... etc.

The only upgrade I can think of right now that is a good upgrade regardless of anything else would be upgrading the brakes with Stainless Steel lines front and rear with a decent set of pads...

I will mostily be shorter (25mi or less) riding. I have no idea what was done to it. and i will get better pictures (in the day) soon. oh and i am 6" and 220lbs (or so)

"The only upgrade I can think of right now that is a good upgrade regardless of anything else would be upgrading the brakes with Stainless Steel lines front and rear with a decent set of pads..." if i had someone do that for me (the labor) how much would u think that should cost me including parts

Last edited:
Pjs Parts has has a good quality brake line set Fren Tubo which can go from 107-250.00. But they have every color combination available to suit your needs.

Good set of brake pads (Brembo -- will have to dig up part number) around 35.00 per side. Front only for the rear stockers should be adequate (unless they are at the end of their life)

Part of the fun of owning this bike is doing the maintenance/service yourself (if you have the tools/time) otherwise, you can expect to pay alot more out for their time, then keeping money in your pocket to spend elsewhere.

I had never bled my brakes (or anything true mechanical work) until the FZ -- but a good springboard to give you the confidence to try for yourself is here. It'll pretty much give anyone the confidence to give it a stab (just be prepared to go to the dealer if things should go awry)

Alot of info to be thrown at for just doing an introduction...so Welcome to the Forum and the army of Gen I is increasing -- don't let the Gen II owner give you any flack...

Adam

Man, I gotta dump this VGA monitor and get with the times. I can't see half the stuff that Aaron saw in the photo. All photos show up on this monitor very under exposed. I can barely make out the straight bars, much less the fork modification. I think I'll hold off on my rear hugger and go with a nice 20" flatscreen monitor instead.

didn't circuit city go bankrupt? I do know that all the circuits citys here in Albuquerque are not more and are empty lease space. Happened the same time as Linens and Things. So, good luck if you can get it online.....hate to see you part with money and have nothing to show for it.

Adam

They are long gone and any past warranty issues may be a tough one. Many of the big boxers are having troubles. Even Best Buy is in a somewhat precarios situation.

haha my thread went to the bird ;)

ok well i found out nothing was done to the bike but KN intake and exhost and regular maintenence.

oh and i much prefer the styling of the gen1 vs the gen2 i could have purchased either one

Back