Just fitted 06 R1 front forks WOW!!!

As the title says I've just bought and fitted a pair of R1 front forks with radial brakes.
First I've got to say how easy it was, it's a straight swap and took about an hour start to finish including bleeding the brakes. The list of parts you need are:-

Pair of 06 R1 Front Forks

Pair of 06 R1 Radial Front Brake Calipers (Don't forget you need the caliper bolts.

06 R1 Front Alxe

You re-use the FZ1 Front wheel and Mudguard (Fender)

There is a 15mm difference in length as R1 forks are shorter but that just quickens the steering a bit which isn't a bad thing as the FZ1 isn't the fastest turning bike out there.

I also fitted a R1 rear shock a few weeks ago and that made a big difference.

I took the bike out this morning to see how the whole package feels on the road and what a difference.

The bike feels solid and gives more feedback but then I've always had sports bike (last bike was a 99 R1)

Basically £400 for the whole set-up was money well spent it's just a shame the winter has come. Can't wait till the spring.

Last edited:
:needpics:

George! George! George! Come on buddy! You know you can't tell us about this major swap without showing us some pics. :looseit:

I didn't take any pictures of the swap but this is a picture of the bike after conversion
16112010455.jpg

16112010456.jpg

and here is a picture of the rear shock and the linkage I used so the rear it totally adjustable
01102010364.jpg

05102010371.jpg

05102010374.jpg

I had to relocate the rectifier, I basically refitted it upright instead of flat and make a bracket to hold it.
Here is the bracket.
12102010405.jpg

Thanks George for the pics. So there was no "fabbing" needed to install the forks. They fit the FZ1 triples?

You use the original FZ1 triples, The first thing to do is unbolt the original calipers and remove them, I just hooked them over the rad cowl. I then removed the front fender and then remove the front wheel. You just loosen the bolts on the top and bottom yokes and once loose just twist each fork leg out.

The R1 fork legs just push back in the original triples, tighten the clamps and replace the front wheel using the R1 alxe (it's completely different to the FZ1 axle), replace the fender, fit the R1 radial calipers fit the hoses and bleed them JOB DONE !!!;)

Nice work! I'd have to have something on hand for the rear though. I have the front already dropped 10mm and it is TOO MUCH for me. If I did this swap, I'd have to have the linkage setup you have to lower the rear for sure. However, considering I alreayd flatfoot the bike with knees slightly bent, I don't know how I'd feel about being even lower all around. Hmmmmm.....

Maybe some new springs and re-valving with heavier oil?

Nice work! I'd have to have something on hand for the rear though. I have the front already dropped 10mm and it is TOO MUCH for me. If I did this swap, I'd have to have the linkage setup you have to lower the rear for sure. However, considering I alreayd flatfoot the bike with knees slightly bent, I don't know how I'd feel about being even lower all around. Hmmmmm.....

Maybe some new springs and re-valving with heavier oil?

I suppose I'm use to a quicker steering bike as I've always have FZR's, GSXR's, CBR's and my last bike a 99 R1.

You may notice the rear of mine is raised as well, it's about 30-35mm so it's a lot different than standard. It really turns well now and the brakes are better as well (not that FZ1 brakes aren't good anyway)

In my opinion it's the bike yamaha SHOULD have made FOR ME!!!:tup:

Are you wheels painted or powder coated? Your bike is sweet, nice job on the conversion. Good mod for that price!!

The wheels are powder coated, I've been thinking of changing the colour of the wheels but can't decide what colour or whether to do it.

Snows hit the UK today so I won't be in a rush to do anything!!!!

Is the rear shock a striaght swap

Pretty much, the R1 shock uses the same mounting points but is 15mm shorter which is why I fitted the adjustable linkage.

You will need to move / reposition the rectifier because the R1's shock has a reservoir which is to big for the original space. I fabricated the bracket you can see earlier in this thread.

Nice job mate. I think this front conversion would make it a better track bike for sure.

Have you had any issues with the back side of the fender/guard touching the radiator on full compression??

Very nice mod to your FZ. Looks 'the business' too!! It would be interesting to work out how much of the extra feel was due to the shorter fork length. The forks in my FZ are still in the standard position (but have been revalved and resprung) but the bike does not give enough feel back from the front. Pushing the forks up through the triple clamps will give more feel and quicken up the steering which is what I plan to do once my new shed has been built. Will prob start with 10mm. However, 15mm should have the same effect I'm quickening up the steering and giving feel as the R1 forks as it will result in the same rake/trail. Notwithstanding the R1 forks are s higher quality item though and should definitely function better.

I made the same mod (pushing forks thru 10mm) to my former bike (YZF750), and that was exactly the result.

Will keep u posted on my findings.

Regards

Kenzo

Very nice mod to your FZ. Looks 'the business' too!! It would be interesting to work out how much of the extra feel was due to the shorter fork length. The forks in my FZ are still in the standard position (but have been revalved and resprung) but the bike does not give enough feel back from the front. Pushing the forks up through the triple clamps will give more feel and quicken up the steering which is what I plan to do once my new shed has been built. Will prob start with 10mm. However, 15mm should have the same effect I'm quickening up the steering and giving feel as the R1 forks as it will result in the same rake/trail. Notwithstanding the R1 forks are s higher quality item though and should definitely function better.

I made the same mod (pushing forks thru 10mm) to my former bike (YZF750), and that was exactly the result.

Will keep u posted on my findings.

Regards

Kenzo

The 04-06 R1 used 20mm cartridges which are the same as the FZ1. I looked at doing this conversion a while ago and was going to use the 07-08 R1 forks because they are 24mm cartridges & the springs were heavier (big difference), also 6 pot calipers? if thats your thing. I resprung the front and installed a Racetech rebound kit which has made the front feel night & day from stock, i also have the forks raised 8mm through the top clamp.

Nice job mate. I think this front conversion would make it a better track bike for sure.

Have you had any issues with the back side of the fender/guard touching the radiator on full compression??

I haven't riden the bike alot since I finished the conversion due to the weather conditons we've had in the UK but I haven't experienced an issues with the fender touching the rad on the few outings so far.

The 04-06 R1 used 20mm cartridges which are the same as the FZ1. I looked at doing this conversion a while ago and was going to use the 07-08 R1 forks because they are 24mm cartridges & the springs were heavier (big difference), also 6 pot calipers? if thats your thing. I resprung the front and installed a Racetech rebound kit which has made the front feel night & day from stock, i also have the forks raised 8mm through the top clamp.

I looked at all the options but thought for what I use the bike for the 04-06 forks fitted the bill and where obviously cheaper than the later forks. Also the 4 pot calipers still work better than the originals due to being radial and I've also fitted Goodridge hoses as well. The brakes are superb but then I thought they where pretty good as standard.

The different in the way the bike feels is as you say NIGHT and DAY but the rear is raised as well so it's more like riding a R1 than a FZ1 but with the comfort of a tourer ( I'm nearly 50 so need the comfort. )

On a completely different subject the one thing I will say is the seat is really uncomfortable so thats my next project.

I dont own a FZ1 or R1, i own a FZ6 and i am looking to do this swap.

i have a question althought.

On pictures i have seen the R1 forks top to be a little narrower than FZ1, like the upper tripple clam has smaller diameter, this make not difference on the upper clamp? you can install close the FZ1 upper clamp to match R1 bars?

thanks.

Back