Just bought a new 2009 FZ1...tips?

I just picked up the bike after work tonight. It's a lot smoother than my '99 YZF600R was. I still like the v-twin style motor better (like my SV650) but the power of this bike felt good and I wasn't even on it much at all. I got it with .7 miles and I'm up to 40 now. :tup:

I noticed the seat wasn't horrible but I would like something more comfortable. The suspension felt ok to me...maybe just a little more preload in the rear for my 230lbs. I felt some buzz in the handlebars at freeway speeds but nothing horrible. The clutch is a hard pull for me (damaged wrist a long time ago) and the pull is pretty far (small hands lol). What's the best quality adjustable lever I can get?

So far with my extensive 40 miles I really like the bike. Stock exhaust looks like crap but it sounds decent.

Tom

I felt some buzz in the handlebars at freeway speeds but nothing horrible

I noticed this at first, too, but over time I think you'll find the FZ1 is one of the most buzz free litre bikes out there. Furthermore, I've ridden for hours and never suffered from buzzy hands after shutting down.

The tough part will be taking it relatively easy during engine brake in. Of course that first oil change is critical. I didn't switch to full synthetic until 4,000 mi. Then again, when it comes to engine oil, you'll find lots of opinions. I stuck with my dealers recommendations on the initial brake in and length of time before I switched to synthetic.

Good luck and rubber side down-always.

Last edited:
Just removed the lawyer stickers tonight. What a PITA! This isn't my first new bike by any means but this was the hardest. Maybe since it was a leftover 2009 and they had time to really stick?

Anyway, I plan to polish and wax the bike tomorrow and get some riding in this weekend (it rained last weekend). I have a Targa tank cover on the way and I'm thinking about placing an order for Pazzo levers. I have weak little hands and need the clutch lever a little closer. :D

Great post. I just my 2010 in Raven (black) for 6999 as well. Sounds like great bikes. Can't wait to get some miles on it this weekend. Took tomorrow off to Ride:yes:

Back