Joined the low siders club

fz1uk

Well I kissed the tarmac today for the first time at slow speed just as I was leaving work in the dark. It's down to freezing temps here and I was just turning right out of the carpark as I normally do and just as I got going BAM I'm on the ground watching my bike slide along the road a few meters infront of me. I knew my tyres would be cold so I felt I was being much more tentative. I didn't actually realise I was falling until I hit the ground as it all happened so fast. Anyway, got the bike back up and couldn't see more than the obvious damage to the slider as it was dark. Went back to the area where I think my rear wheel slid out and it could have been a number of things.. there were some nice big splodges of wet mud that looked like they'd been dropped by a digger and a very slick road surface.. that and the cold tyres did it I think. Rode home the rest of my 20 mile commute very very gingerly and surveyed the damage as per the list below.. incredibly though the paintwork was completely unscathed! My textile gear helped to reduce my short slide too and the CE armour seemed to take the brunt of the fall pretty well although my arm is more sore now than when I came off and is starting to show quite alot of bruising.

Damage list:
Scuffed mirror
R&G slider chewed and bent the bolt to 45 degrees - not quite sure I'm going to get it out with it at that angle.
R&G Bar end slider chewed through halfway
Exhaust heatsheilds - front one badly bent and scuffed.. the rear one just scuffed
Exhaust body - narrow but long scratch where the heatshield compressed under the weight.
Sore wrist, elbow and knee.

...and a little bit of pride.

Glad it wasn't at high speed like some of you guys have experienced! Eye opening enough to have done it at slow speed!

Righto I guess its time to give the bike a week off while I wait for the new sliders and either buy a second hand exhaust or perhaps try to fix the heatshields and then respray them - not sure how to do the latter though as its a hightemp area? I'll come back and ask for advice on that later.

Last edited:
I was hoping we'd finish off the year without another off. Sorry to hear about this but very happy that it was low speed, minimal damage (kudos for having quality sliders and gear on!!!) and you're only sore, not broken. This is a "successful crash" and we're thankful you're here to type about it!

You can high-temp the shields and exhaust body. It should hold up very well. Talk to Hail as he still might have a set of the carbon fiber shields for sale. It would be a lot cheaper than the original replacements ($250.00 USD at Partshark). The sliders are being replaced. Bar ends are cheap ($20 USD new).

Glad you're OK! Take care!!

Thanks guys, I had thought twice about posting as I felt a bid stupid about the spill but you've given me good advice and it feels nice to be apart of this owners community.

I've pm'd Hail.

Glad you are ok man and it sounds like damage could have been worse... Live an learn.. and know it can happen to any of us at any moment so you are never alone on this one...

Bikes can be fixed, glad to see you're ok!

I've had a couple spills myself and I always take it as an opportunity to improve my riding ability by analyzing what I did wrong. I take the approach that even if it wasn't my doing directly (mud, ice, another road user), I could have done something differently to avoid it altogether.

It's a tough lesson but worthwhile one :)

Thanks guys, I had thought twice about posting as I felt a bid stupid about the spill but you've given me good advice and it feels nice to be apart of this owners community.

I've pm'd Hail.

Geez what a noob! You can't ride for shite, how could you do that...

:)Just kidding mate, it happens to the best of us every now and then. Good luck with getting the bike fixed and hopefully you recover from your injuries quick and aren't too sore.

Geez what a noob! You can't ride for shite, how could you do that...

:)Just kidding mate, it happens to the best of us every now and then. Good luck with getting the bike fixed and hopefully you recover from your injuries quick and aren't too sore.

:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Not sure if tire temp makes much difference when they get on a slow speed goo mess. It's just bam-your down.
+1 to riding home

Don't feel bad dude, I did the same thing on the muddy road that I have to take to get to the main road, dark, cold, muddy, cat runs out in front, SLIP! Down I go. Last winter replaced the brake pedal, front upper fairing, radiator guard and bar end. First time in 20+ years of riding. Just gotta learn and move forward!

I've done that (and worse) many times, but most of mine were in the dirt when I was young on an enduro and weren't big problems. I've even a multiple member of the 'over the bars' club (dirt and street). :retard:

One time I was on a road that had been oiled and sand put down on top. I came around the corner to see a school bus with red flashing lights. I slid to a stop under the back bumper, picked up my bike with really bent handle bars and rode off in the other direction with the kids pointing at me (rightfully so). No major damage but my pride. :doh2:

I could go on and on. :gagged: Glad you are OK. Sounds like the bike damage isn't too bad. Now you are a better motorcyclist! :Rockon:

imho every biker that goes down feels stupid . I had a mini van pull out in front of me , I smacked the side and flew into a ditch ,, I FELT LIKE THE WORST DRIVER IN THE WORLD . the feeling is normal ,just get back on the horse as soon as possible and be happy it wasn`t worse :sport12: Mark

Glad to hear you're OK and the bikes not too damaged.

PJ1 Heat resistant paint should sort your exhaust

Sounds like you'll be checking the Evil Bay for some of the replacements

Get yourself a bath and a glass of something warming, bound to put you right

:icon_beer:

Thanks guys for all the support and words of wisdom! I've ordered all the parts and Brad has helped me sort out the replacement exhaust. I'm already excited about getting back on the bike and not just because of the fact that it took double the time getting to work, sitting in traffic in the car today! Like many have said - its an experience to chalk up, learn from and move on.

:funpost: Lol @ bust my Balls-mead though.. you had me going there for a second.

:Rockon:

I'm sorry all you guys are going down. As a fairly inexperienced rider it just boggles my mind just thinking that it will happen to me sooner or later. I hope that my 2 near mishaps counts as me going down.

The A**hole puckering and a few oh $hits and I managed to keep her on two wheels both times, even though some off roading was experienced during those moments. PHEW!!!!!!

I'm sorry all you guys are going down. As a fairly inexperienced rider it just boggles my mind just thinking that it will happen to me sooner or later. I hope that my 2 near mishaps counts as me going down.

The A**hole puckering and a few oh $hits and I managed to keep her on two wheels both times, even though some off roading was experienced during those moments. PHEW!!!!!!

please remember to dress for the crash and you will be a lot farther ahead . It took me 25 years of riding for my first accident . Every new day I get on my bike, I dress like that day will be my next ( it may sound corny but thats how I head out ) . it has been a year and a half since my accident and my body still feels it . a second one will probly mean the end of my riding days . I now give the podium back to you guy`s lol . Mark

Just caught this thread. I'm happy to hear you are well and it wasn't anything serious. It happens to us all.

Seems to me that when I fall I tend to high side. Some day I'd like to simply low-side! It would be like a get out of jail free card...

Ha Ha.

Best wishes and everyone stay safe in this colder weather.

Back