Jet kits

Hi all my 2005 FZ is original apart from the end can, I keep reading discussions on jet kits why would you do it? can anyone help me with it I’m presently do one up as a winter project!

Ivan's seems to be the favorite for most, but I am a fan of the Holeshot kit / timing advancer. That's what I installed on my 2005 many years ago.

MAYBE there is a slight performance increase with Ivan's, but I was hesitant to do the carb body drilling. What I liked about the Holeshot was that I could install it quickly and without doing anything that could not be undone. No drilling, no clipping, just adjust floats, install main jets, add shims. Done. Oh, and I guess install the timing advancer plate... but the change in performance was amazing! Just follow Dale's instructions to the letter, and it's all good. I found that the sea-level elevation set up worked great for below 5000 ft, but if you feel the need, shims can be swapped out with the carbs on the bike.

Also, I never even disconnected the throttle cables. I wrapped towels over the frame to keep from scratching anything, and did all the work with the carbs hanging from the cables.

I also have posted up a template that I made to make float height adjustments easier here:

1704198653681.png

Great advice from Blue Flash,

I went hundreds of thousands of miles before installing the Raven Rider (poor mans) Jet Kit which mimics Dales changes except for the needles.

From a base line #s situation, stock Gen 1s are about 120 hp at rear wheel, Dales are about 125, Ivans is a few ponnies higher. So you get about a 3-5% increase. If you do the full Monty Ivans Stage 2 you could reach 130 hp. The advance plate will also spool the revs up quicker, but will sacrifice a small amount of bottom end.

Mileage is more important to me than the small performance increases. Ivans has the worst MPG drop, I've read people losing 10 mpg, Dales and Raven Rider kits don't really drop mileage.

If I had a well running Gen 1, I wouldn't touch it and would wait till the carbs are gummed up from storage before digging into them. Then I would do a complete clean/rebuild with jet kit. Your carbs are almost 20 years old. O-rings don't last forever. My eight farthings.

Hi all my 2005 FZ is original apart from the end can, I keep reading discussions on jet kits why would you do it? can anyone help me with it I’m presently do one up as a winter project!
I have the Ivan's in mine and full delcavic exhaust. Can't tell you the size jetting cause I got the bike like this. My bike has been on the dyno showing 120 hp at the rear wheel. I went two teeth up on the back sprocket which makes it feel like it has good torque

Ivan jet kit uses smaller 122.5 main jets due to the drilling of the carb bodies, using his own tapered needles and wanting 4.5 to 5 turns out on the mixture screws.
I know there are hundreds of FZ1 with the Ivan's kit in them, but I never could bring myself to drilling those carb bodies. College mate has a FZ1 with Ivan's jet kit and he still has a bit of "stumble" between 3000 and 4000 revs that he can't get out. I remember Ivan telling him "never let it go below 4k then".... LOL

I've always preferred the Dale Walker and even the Factory Pro jet kits for FZ1. Like Blue Flash posted, nothing in those kits that can't be undone.
Even helped a guy "make" his own kit like Raven Rider did and his bike still runs out strong to this day.

Last edited:
I have the Ivan's in mine and full delcavic exhaust. Can't tell you the size jetting cause I got the bike like this. My bike has been on the dyno showing 120 hp at the rear wheel. I went two teeth up on the back sprocket which makes it feel like it has good torque
That must wheelie easily. Did the Ivans kit lower your MPG. Spring, summer, and fall I get 50. In the winter it goes down to 45. Not sure if that's jetting or the heated gear putting a load on the alternator.

................Spring, summer, and fall I get 50. In the winter it goes down to 45. Not sure if that's jetting or the heated gear putting a load on the alternator.

Not a jetting thing and I have always racked that reduction to winter fuel additive mixture. Beit my bikes, car, truck, whatever, I always have seen about a 10% drop in MPG in the winter.
For car reference, my CR-Z gets 45 mpg not trying hard. Almost on que about Thanksgiving, can only muster 40 mpg. Springtime, "magically" it'll start getting 45 mpg again.
My FJR1300 echo's your FZ1.... 50 mpg all the time except winter. Then drops to about 45 mpg.

Not a jetting thing and I have always racked that reduction to winter fuel additive mixture. Beit my bikes, car, truck, whatever, I always have seen about a 10% drop in MPG in the winter.
For car reference, my CR-Z gets 45 mpg not trying hard. Almost on que about Thanksgiving, can only muster 40 mpg. Springtime, "magically" it'll start getting 45 mpg again.
My FJR1300 echo's your FZ1.... 50 mpg all the time except winter. Then drops to about 45 mpg.
Makes sense, Another case of Ride More Worry Less.

Nah, I wouldn't call it worry, just attentive to changes out of the norm. Part of what makes us complete riders, IMO. Kinda like when we can feel tire pressures off a bit.

That must wheelie easily. Did the Ivans kit lower your MPG. Spring, summer, and fall I get 50. In the winter it goes down to 45. Not sure if that's jetting or the heated gear putting a load on the alternator.
My gas mileage is not good Isleoman. I rode about 80 miles last Sat and I burned a half a tank. But I do run it at half tach cruising, less vibes. I'm gonna try some aluminum bars, but that's another subject. And yes it wheelies easy. At about 5k rpm the front tire comes up when in on the throttle in first, it would flip if I let it. When I shift to second between 9k rpm and redline the front end pops up I guess a foot high.

Last edited:
Back