Jeepers... it's the COPS!

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
On the way home tonight, I was coming through town and on the traffic loop, as I rounded the corner, there were state and local police all over.... I, of course, was in a heavy lean and ready to punch it at the apex.... the first cop points at me so I hit both brakes and stand the bike up and almost stop. He tells me to pull into the parking lot ahead... Uh OH! I am thinking.... It is a VERY sharp corner and even in the lean, it wasn't THAT fast!

So, I pull into the lot and am greeted by a very friendly state trooper. He tells me "Nice bike!! and nice helmet!" I ask why I've been told to pull into the lot and he says "We're testing for the NH noise ordinance."

So, my arse puckers.... Two Brothers can on the bike.... I'm toast... her comes my ticket! and there goes the exhaust! But, I DO have the P4 tip installed.... I've never had it "officially" tested with this tip installed...

I pull into his parking area. It was downhill to get to him so I had simply pulled in the clutch and coasted down with the bike off. I pull up and he smiles and says "Man! That is ONE QUIET BIKE!" I laugh and put the front tire at the proper cone. He tells me to start it and when he says to rev, go to 3500 RPM and hold and yell to him that it is ready.

I slowly rev it up and hit 3500 and yell back "Test now!" So, he takes his reading and after several seconds, tells me to back off. I release the throttle and he says, "Head over to that table." There is a local cop there with all sorts of paperwork and items in front of him.

I ride over and pull out my wallet to get my registration and license. He starts talking on the radio in police code that I haven't a clue. He tells me that he's sorry to put us through this but locals have complained of motorcycle noise and they have to check. The state trooper comes over and the local LEO asks what my test was. State says "94" and I let out the longest sigh and finally smile. The law is 106 db.... :D

Local LEO still has to fill out a card that states all my information and that I've passed. He again apologizes and says "Well, at least we know you're not the cause of any complaints." He thanks me for my understanding and patience and tells me to have a safe ride.

So, 2009 FZ1 with the Two Bros can and a P4 tip is officially tested to 94 db my the NH state police. Now, I can go get the bike inspected without worry! And, no more worries about driving anywhere in the state. NICE!!!

Well good to hear that you didn't get into any sort of "trouble" with the law. Here in NJ we are kind of lucky in that there is no official sound test. However, with all the loud bikes around it's only a matter of time before they decide to implement some sort of limit.

Glad to hear you did not stuck with a ticket for noise, that would really peeve me off. My oldest son recently had to pay a $300 ticket for speeding in a construction zone.

Well, I was debating today to swap out the stock can for the 2Bros so I could get it inspected this weekend. NH has ALL bikes expire on June 30th each year. But, after today, no need to! I can ride out and get it inspected without worries. Nice!

Less than half the states carry any noise ordinances on bikes. I know TN does not. VT doesn't.

$300 for a ticket? OUCH! That sucks!! Hope's he's slowed it down a lot!

Oh Boy 3,500 rpm, that's a test for Harley's.
Damn good thing you didn't have to take it up to 13,000, you may have been toast.

Actually, myself and the Ninja behind me passed and then a big HD came in... yup! He got a ticket. :D Off he goes to the stealer for the new quiet HD pipes. Hahaha!

Oh Boy 3,500 rpm, that's a test for Harley's.
Damn good thing you didn't have to take it up to 13,000, you may have been toast.

:ditto: If the test were "legitimate" it would vary rpm according to the bike's make/model. I think you're right on. It's all about Harley's. Although, many of them have it coming, for being obnoxious turds and painting the whole of motorcycling in a dismal light.

I'm not so sure I'd be painting the kettle black. I know some sport bike riders who have some darned loud bikes and I had one that I admt was questionable when it had the R's up. When I was at Rhinebeck I saw plety of Full-on sport bikes that could make you run for the ear plugs. Harleys, with their long tunnel straight-through pipes, just happen to have that really low frequency growl that can be heard a long way off and when they are close by they sound like the bag of dynomite just went off. It's not my style but a lot of juvenile minds think it's cool.

The reason they test at 3500 RPMs is it is the "typical" cruising speed around town. They don't expect riders to be obnoxious with the throttle when in the city or other populated areas.

Around here, no group is to blame in whole. We have our loud supersports and our loud HD riders. I'd say it is an even mix...

But I will say, I'm GLAD I'm not part of the problem! ;)

$300 for a ticket? OUCH! That sucks!! Hope's he's slowed it down a lot!

The ticket was double the normal rate because it was in a construction zone....not well marked might I add. He got a plea bargain to make is a non moving violation which was good but they still got their money.

Last edited:
Another problem could be those rice rocket cars. Their after market pipes sound very similar to motorcycle pipes to the untrained ear.

A couple of months ago, TheMomma and I got into a huge "discussion" about the loud bikers in our neighborhood. Other than me, there are maybe two or three others that I've seen. There are several cars with those after market pipes. One had just gone up the street and TheMomma started complaining. I tried to tell her that wasn't a motorcycle, the note was too deep. She wasn't hearing it, it was a motorcycle and it was too darned loud.

I just shook my head. Something else to blame on motorcyclists I guess.

LOL! wolftamer, they did have a car pulled over too. Loud exhaust, car too low and neon lighting under it. All illegal here. ;) So, they were grabbing the street racers as well.

I was surprised at a 94 reading because the bike sounds louder, thus I am happy with this outcome. I should go get a copy of the paperwork the officer filled out and keep it with the registration! ;)

Back