Jack up kits ?? Worth the money ??

SETH46

Just looking at a set of +30mm jack up plates for £48.

Just wondering if anyone has had theirs Jacked Up and what kind of difference it makes ??

Also what would 30mm at the pivot point equate to in height at the rear end ??

Any help/info welcome

Seth

jack up kits = raised links??

changes the geometry and allows for a faster turn in (Gen I referenced here) and did mine for ease of putting bike on centerstand with full (loaded) luggage.

Have to drop forks a bit in the tree b/c I get head shake at low speeds -- 30mm seems a tad excessive. I'll need to verify distances on my adjustable links to see if that is indeed an acceptable distance for reference....

jack up kits = raised links??

changes the geometry and allows for a faster turn in (Gen I referenced here) and did mine for ease of putting bike on centerstand with full (loaded) luggage.

Have to drop forks a bit in the tree b/c I get head shake at low speeds -- 30mm seems a tad excessive. I'll need to verify distances on my adjustable links to see if that is indeed an acceptable distance for reference....
these are what i'm looking at

Yamaha Fazer FZ1 FZS 1000 FZS1000 Jack Up Kit 06-09 on eBay (end time 13-Sep-10 14:35:08 BST)

Just looking at a set of +30mm jack up plates for £48.

Just wondering if anyone has had theirs Jacked Up and what kind of difference it makes ??

Also what would 30mm at the pivot point equate to in height at the rear end ??

Any help/info welcome

Seth

30mm is the height increase over the rear axle.

I'd go with 5 - 6 mm first. I dropped the full 10 mm and the bike literally FALLS over now. It's taken a lot of getting used to but I still think I'm going to bring it from 10 mm to 6 mm and leave it at that.

BTW, if you drop 10 mm, I highly recommend a steering stabilizer. Changing the rake that much made mine less stable and I now keep the dial on the GPR set about half way because of this. Exiting the corners and getting the front light with the GPR on zero was quite hairy!

I'd go with 5 - 6 mm first. I dropped the full 10 mm and the bike literally FALLS over now. It's taken a lot of getting used to but I still think I'm going to bring it from 10 mm to 6 mm and leave it at that.

BTW, if you drop 10 mm, I highly recommend a steering stabilizer. Changing the rake that much made mine less stable and I now keep the dial on the GPR set about half way because of this. Exiting the corners and getting the front light with the GPR on zero was quite hairy!
thanks for the heads up bro. will give it a whirl !

Seth

I agree, but I guess I should have been more specific. I did say up to 10mm, but 5mm would be a good starting point for you Seth ;)

As for a steering damper...get one if you can. It's cheap insurance and as Eric mentioned once you lower the forks it will get a little more unstable.

FWIT I'm sure that jacking the rear 30mm will introduce some instability as well.

Back