Ivan's FCE

Ok, so I get and feel it about the fuel cut-off problems. I feel this on my fz1, my old ST1300 (was much worse) and my buddies aprillia (is a bit better).

My question is why don't I feel this in my cars?

According to Ivan's website, all vehicles with EFI after 1980 should have the problem. All of my cars have been and are manual, EFI, and made after 1980 but I have never felt the problem.

I suspect the weight of a car masks that on/off feeling. Motorcycles are so light in comparison they are much more sensitive to small throttle movements, open or closed.

EFI is simply better sorted in the automotive world. If you get a OBD2 reader with live data feed, you can watch the injector pulse width doing it's thing. We do this all the time in the Megasquirt world.

Beast

EFI is simply better sorted in the automotive world. If you get a OBD2 reader with live data feed, you can watch the injector pulse width doing it's thing. We do this all the time in the Megasquirt world.

Beast

OK...gonna jump OT. Whittle, didn't know you were active in the MS arena. If that's so how come you haven't started (or already) done a a Micro on the FZ, considering it's almost infinite tuneability?

Funny you ask now... I happen to be at Dragweek this week with the head programmer from Megasquirt.

The reason that I have not done the FZ1 is simply I did not care to cut up the wiring on a brand new bike that was really fairly close. Who knows what Yamaha magic was going on inside the stock ECU. As it turns out, we have uncovered a few of those demon tweaks that Yamaha does and were just going over implementing some of those tricks into the MS software last night.

Every time I mess with a new ECU or new tuning software, I tend to find things of interest.

For example, the Yamaha ECU appears to throttle at least some of the HP with the timing maps. Even if they don't, it makes for some interesting conversations with the programmers, drivers, builders and the dyno guys.

For example, you are at WOT and the car is starting to pick the front end off the ground at 60 ft and 2.1 geez acceleration. What do you to control this rate of rise. Do you limit the HP with boost control based on throttle position? What about pulling timing as the boost control rolls out pressure in the exhaust? At what rate do you allow the boost to return as the throttle starts going back down? What do you do with acceleration enrichment as the boost starts returning? What do you do with the boost controllers if they are all are all on timers and are scheduled to increase boost as the drivers is back pedaling the throttle?

How will you ever document all of this in the instructions if you did put it in the code? This week we are playing with "street" cars pushing 2 lbs per HP and then doing a 500 mile road trip pulling a trailer of race tires and tools to the next track. All great fun with friends.....

Here is a pic of the car I was tuning at last years Dragweek.

img_1152.jpg

Beast

Last edited:
Back