It's squid season

I don't care what anyone does others than those I love. I just wish my tax dollars did not go towards the healthcare of those who make bad decisions.

I just shake my head and stay away from them.

this is the key to dealing with Squids.

This morning I could have easily got side swiped by a guy on a cruiser if I was not so diligent about my own safe riding. I notice him getting on the freeway in mild traffic.

Essentially traffic is stopping and going up to about 20mph, so I am lane sharing between number 1 and 2 lanes.

The freeway is 4 lanes wide here, and he sees a gap and just starts hauling butt across all the lanes cutting in front of a small box truck in lane number two that I was approaching for a pass. At the moment I was not actually lane sharing because traffic had spaced out some and I slowed way down anticipating him jumping right into my lane in front of me, which he did.

You are always your best bet at staying safe.

saw another guy today, t-shirt, shorts and skate shoes. At least he had a helmet on. I still gave him the biker wave but felt dirty afterwards

I always wear boots, gloves, and a Snell certified helmet, but I do wear jeans and a light jacket a lot. I'd probably be okay in an <30mph crash, but bloody above that. It's a calculated risk though. If I don't wear much gear, there's a chance I'll get injured more than I would be if I had leathers on. If I go ATGATT in 90+ degree weather and near saturated humidity, I'll definitely overheat, have a heart attack, and crash.

On those days where it's a bit cooler though like today, I'll throw on a good leather jacket. Those nice days are rare though.

Well I'm not sure if this was a squid but it was probably the case.

I went out to South Mountain today to get some riding in to clear my head from some BS at work. Well I get there and the road is shut down. I talk with the park ranger and he was saying that it was a guy on a brand new Triumph that had sent his bike over a cliff and he caught a guard rail breaking his leg. The park ranger said, "I knew it wasn't going to be good for this guy when I saw him attaching a GoPro to his helmet."

I guess the guy was geared up thankfully so the broken leg was the only injury, his helmet broke/fractured, and the bike didn't look too bad on one side as I saw it pass on the back of the tow truck going down the hill. And it did look brand new. I hope he had his insurance policy.

I am all too familiar with the "Turn on the GoPro, watch this." red neck urge as that was how I crashed the second time. I'm glad I've been good since then but here is the original clip for a reminder

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfaoOPJX1QE]Motorcycle Crash: How to Ride Like a Squid - YouTube[/ame]

Back