its finally happened!

hankhill11

so, i know i've had a couple posts on here about the z1, but this is it.

I jumped on the bike posted in my 'hows this look' thread.

2005 fz1, Team Yamaha Blue, all stock(good... and decent), 18xxx miles.

there's only three marks i found 'bad' on it, which is great. they had an 02 that was definitely set down, so i went with this one.

I will get pics posted as soon as i take some, and figure out how to post em.

I had an '02 ninja500 which was an amazing bike for any normal person. GREAT gas, ergo and performance for such an insanely cheap package. seriously.

anyhow, the test drive and drive home(today) give me great confidence in the FZ1 as a total package upgrade. i need to figure out how to set the clock, bring the clutch lever in a little to suit my hands, and move the break pedal down a tad so i don't have to continuously lift my foot up instead of relaxing it.

It hasn't sunk in yet. i haven't begun to tap the power of the FZ1!!

forgive me if i start posting a lot of rambling posts. its what i do!! i know this is a good community and i look forward to anything you have to say. :)

New Tire

chicken strips

album on webshots, some extra pics of the blemish spots on it. . http://community.webshots.com/user/hankhill11

Last edited:
Congratulations on the bike. We're looking forward to the pics. Plenty of knowledgeable Gen I guys around here so if you have any questions just ask (or do a search ;))

so, i know i've had a couple posts on here about the z1, but this is it.

I jumped on the bike posted in my 'hows this look' thread.

2005 fz1, Team Yamaha Blue, all stock(good... and decent), 18xxx miles.

there's only three marks i found 'bad' on it, which is great. they had an 02 that was definitely set down, so i went with this one.

I will get pics posted as soon as i take some, and figure out how to post em.

I had an '02 ninja500 which was an amazing bike for any normal person. GREAT gas, ergo and performance for such an insanely cheap package. seriously.

anyhow, the test drive and drive home(today) give me great confidence in the FZ1 as a total package upgrade. i need to figure out how to set the clock, bring the clutch lever in a little to suit my hands, and move the break pedal down a tad so i don't have to continuously lift my foot up instead of relaxing it.

It hasn't sunk in yet. i haven't begun to tap the power of the FZ1!!

forgive me if i start posting a lot of rambling posts. its what i do!! i know this is a good community and i look forward to anything you have to say. :)

Congrats Hank! Can't wait to see the pictures.
Okay, first off, there isn't any position adjustment of a GenI clutch lever. So if you want to have different positions available to you, you would have to go aftermarket.

The brake pedal is adjustable and is an easy fix. I have never used my rear brake so it's not an issue for me. I have mine pretty low.

As for power, a serious note: When that tach hits 7.5 to 8k you had better be holding on! While these bikes seem docile down low, don't be fooled. When you hit the magical 8K mark on the tach it will become the animal of your dreams!

Good luck with it and just remember not to forget that your no longer on a 500 Ninja.

I have never used my rear brake so it's not an issue for me...

And I thought I was the only one !?! In all seriousness I do use the rear brake occasionally but I mostly rely on the front while down shifting to a stop... Just seems odd seeing that in print! LOL

Hank ... Congrats on your new ride... over the 500 you will be STOKED :D

And I thought I was the only one !?! In all seriousness I do use the rear brake occasionally but I mostly rely on the front while down shifting to a stop... Just seems odd seeing that in print! LOL

Hank ... Congrats on your new ride... over the 500 you will be STOKED :D

I think I used it one time that I was on a hill and needed to get my right hand in a jacket pocket. I know many guys will say it's proper to use both uniformly but I never felt the need.

I rarely use mine as well. Not to get all MSF'ey but after doing all of these basic riding drills having to use the rear brake, I actually got to feel its effectiveness.:confused0024:

I think I used it one time that I was on a hill and needed to get my right hand in a jacket pocket. I know many guys will say it's proper to use both uniformly but I never felt the need.

I rarely use mine as well. Not to get all MSF'ey but after doing all of these basic riding drills having to use the rear brake, I actually got to feel its effectiveness.:confused0024:

I use it during normal braking, but in heavy braking with the rear tire unloaded it's useless and will actually lock up on you quite easily.

On gravel or other traction limited surface I like to use it as a rear slide is much easier to control than a front slide.

Also for setting up entry speeds into corners a little rear brake is helpful...

Oh and I forgot the most important use...controlling the height of your wheelie :D

Back