It's come to this...............

Isleoman

Site Supporter
Not my finest Ebay purchase, $18. I needed and ended up with 5 of the self tapping front fairing screws which cost $4.75 each, plus dozens of other bolts, screws and washers................... I may or may not ever need.

Might be time to subscribe to "Hoarders Monthly" Always a great mag to save, with the other mags......... and stuff.

1704503541377.png

So is the plan to upgrade Gen 1 components or is it for another bike?
replace the stocker. During my travels the forks puked and all the oil seemed to go right to the pads. Pretty sure i hurt the master trying to heat up the pads. Definitely a odd sensation, having a tight lever but no friction going on. I think im going to convert all my bikes to modern masters. Already have blue dots for the 90 fzr, but thats for summer of '25 most likely. Slabbys are way higher on the list.

Speaky of blue's, snagged be a couple sets of gold dots ( from R1 with the titanium pistons ). Both my FZ1 had rusted and scored pistons in their blue dot calipers.
None of that nonsense with the goldies.

I got some of those a few years back, just for fun. Can't really tell any difference from the blue dots as far as braking performance.

I prefer the oem master cylinder to the radial R6 version because of less effort required at the lever for a given amount of braking force.

I got some of those a few years back, just for fun. Can't really tell any difference from the blue dots as far as braking performance.

I prefer the oem master cylinder to the radial R6 version because of less effort required at the lever for a given amount of braking force.

No different here either, just the titanium won't rust and cause the problems I had before.

Not to beat a dead horse (even though that's my specialty) but my memory was that the pistons are aluminum in the calipers with the gold inserts and the only specs I can find say aluminum.
They only used those calipers for a couple of years and all the other similar calipers (which were installed on about a zillion Yamahas) used steel pistons, so I suppose they weren't a big improvement.

I highly doubt they are using alum pistons. A quick search and i found gold dots are ceramic coated. There are a few reasons why parts change on a bike or car. MFG costs, increased performance, or to fix a issue. IMO gold dots exist to fix a known issue.

I highly doubt they are using alum pistons. A quick search and i found gold dots are ceramic coated. There are a few reasons why parts change on a bike or car. MFG costs, increased performance, or to fix a issue. IMO gold dots exist to fix a known issue.
They were installed on 2002-2003 R1s only, as far as I know, and were touted as a performance improvement. The specs for those years say aluminum and they do appear to be coated. All the others, before and after, with the blue dots and the silver dots used steel pistons I think.
I'm only talking about the non radial calipers that were used on early R1s, R6s, FZ1s (all years I think), FZ6s, etc. I don't know anything about the radial calipers that came on later models.

For clarity as it's my wording error, MY gold dot calipers have titanium pistons that I sourced from a BSB pal in the UK.
OE from Yamimamma for those 02-03 R1 calipers were aluminum pistons.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/first-ride-2002-yamaha-yzf-r1/

"...............And to the brakes, also. Yamaha's benchmark four-piston Sumitomo one-piece calipers gripping 298mm Tokico discs (whose smaller diameter results in less unsprung weight for better suspension compliance, reduced gyroscopic effect and thus easier steering) have been upgraded: They're lighter, and now have aluminum pistons and sintered pads............... "

Back