Is this tire still usable??

If it still feels solid keep it and use it in a pinch for a spare but other wise I'd take it to a bike shop see what they think. Usually the tire won't seat up to the wheel very well if the bead is damaged. Let us know if you find anything out?

This must have happened after 2+hours of trying to take it off nicely, I finally gave up and really didn't care how it was going to come off and just freaking really went at it. I actually ended up scratching the hell out of my rim too. Alloy against steal and crappy "rim protectors" = damaged rims. I still don't understand how a new tire just pops right in and old tires are a bear to take off.

If you don't mind me asking how that happened? Tire spoon??

Did you use a lot of WD40 to get the tire off? That helps A LOT!!!! Without it, it's an all day fight. With WD40? Slicker 'n snot!

Don't use patroleum based products on tires you plan on putting back on the wheel. The oil in the product will actually break the rubber down on the tire. Kinda has the same effect as spilling brake fluid on paint. ok maybe not that dramatic but ruins the rubber lol

Don't use patroleum based products on tires you plan on putting back on the wheel. The oil in the product will actually break the rubber down on the tire. Kinda has the same effect as spilling brake fluid on paint. ok maybe not that dramatic but ruins the rubber lol

Myth... WD40 uses refined mineral spirits but is safe for rubber. Just make sure you wash the tire with soap and water after mounting and before riding!

WD-40 Frequently Asked Questions . . . . . specifically: WD-40 Frequently Asked Questions

:D

Thats a good call I was courious after I read it so I looked it up too. Now is the propelent used in it patrolieum based?

EDIT: It is covered in the site you provided good research :D

Last edited:
I'd agree that WD40 with many uses on multiple occasions on the same tire might not be a good idea but for the single use, a quick shot makes the tires go on sooooo much easier and it usually takes only 25 - 30 lbs of air to seat the beads so you don't have to over-inflate the tire. It dries very quickly and with the strength and thickness of today's tires, one film of WD40 should be OK. :tup:

Back