Is this safe to ride on??

Hey everyone!! Hey I have an 09 FZ1 w/ 8000 miles on it. The front tire is a Mich Pilot Road also with 8000 miles on it. I want to ride in a benefit ride tomorrow that is just over 300 miles. The tire has even wear across it that is right at the wear bar. There is a small spot that is a bit below the wear bar, (rubber must have worn differently there). Its too late to have the tire replaced as I leave tomorrow morning early for registration. Check out the picture and let me know what you think. Thanks!! :sport12:

As long as the cords aren't showing (and they are not) and it's not going to rain I'd say you'd be fine. If you encounter rain along the way, just slow it down. A tire that worn is going to hydroplane a lot easier. Just my :2cents:...

Awesome thanks NJFZ1! Its supposed to be 83 and Sunny. I can't wait. I am planning to order new front tires next week.

Then go out and have fun! Believe it or not worn tires actually stick better (unless they're old and dry rotted) since there is less thread squirm and more rubber against the road. That is why they use slicks in racing :D

Then go out and have fun! Believe it or not worn tires actually stick better (unless they're old and dry rotted) since there is less thread squirm and more rubber against the road. That is why they use slicks in racing :D

Huh?? I wouldn't trust my ass with that statement.
Street tires are not slicks, completely different rubber compound and worn slicks don't stick like new either.
As street tires wear they go through many heat cycles which makes the rubber harder as they get older and with the loss of tread translates less ability to stick to the road.
Think of tennis shoes, when they are new and have tread the grab the surface much better than when they are worn and smooth.

Hard to tell in the picture exact tread depth but if you are not to the wear bars have fun. But remember " if you have to ask, it's about time to switch"

Huh?? I wouldn't trust my ass with that statement.
Street tires are not slicks, completely different rubber compound and worn slicks don't stick like new either.
As street tires wear they go through many heat cycles which makes the rubber harder as they get older and with the loss of tread translates less ability to stick to the road.
Think of tennis shoes, when they are new and have tread the grab the surface much better than when they are worn and smooth.

Hard to tell in the picture exact tread depth but if you are not to the wear bars have fun. But remember " if you have to ask, it's about time to switch"

Well yes there are many variables that affect tire grip. And you're right if the tire has been through a lot of heat cycles it's grip will diminish. As for slicks yes, once they are used and heat cycled many times their grip also diminishes, but they do start out "slick" anyway.

I still stand by my original statement that tires with less thread will stick better due to less thread squirm. Hence the old trick used by racers of having their car tires shaved down to racing depth. The same principle applies to motorcycle tires. The race legal DOT tires start out with less thread depth than say your run of the mill sport touring tire.

All that being said you're probably right by the time the tire has worn down to that level the rubber has probably hardened enough to diminish grip...

Last edited:
Hey a little skunk pokin' never hurt anyone much more than the smell:flash:

Still not sure I'd agree with the worn tire statement as if they stick better why do all track schools require your tires be new or 90% tread life still on the tire.

Their insurance? perhaps but I'd bet it's more than that.

+1 guys since tires go through a heat cycle even if its just ten mins on the road I would agree with the statement of the rubber hardening after so many of them. I would also agree with the race tire being less depth than a normal tire at is way more grip but it does come down to how weathered and worn that tire is. Sure his tire will work just fine for the tour even at the wear bars or below just as long as there is rubber and not steel coming through and the tire has consistent wear all the way around i.e. no chopping or chunks out of it, but no way in hell would I ever use that tire on the track. Great convo since I know plenty of people wonder when is it time to change a tire.:cheers:

Only 8000? Are you an aggressive rider or something? That seems like a lot of wear, I get about 12000 out of my front tires. Almost 8 out of the back. I'd ride on that, and wouldn't be worried. Just my own opinion though. :)

Back