Is this normal after bmc filter install?

silentcropduster

Can't get it to seat right?

I too the filter out, and the issue goes away. Is this normal? I missed either it for the better of 30 mins.
usevytu6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It chaps my ass that bmc would have fitment issues. I did run the bike, no signs of suction outside the box, it appears sealed.

No, that is not good. You need to create a seal. Look for the overhanging part of the filter and just trim it. I know its not ideal but it will work. I have a K&N and never had a fitment issue.

Oops, I rode it to work I started it, reed it upto about 8 grand (after engine was warm) could feel or hear any suction outside the air box? Bike seems to run fine has more low end grunt and seems happier like it can breathe easier. But yes I'll attack it w my HF brand dremel tonight. Can u be more specific as to what edge to grind down?

oops, I rode it to work I started it, reved it upto about 8 grand (after engine was warm) couldn't feel or hear any suction outside the air box? I had my hand on it. Bike seems to run fine has more low end grunt and seems happier like it can breathe easier. But yes I'll attack it w my HF brand dremel tonight. Can u be more specific as to what edge to grind down?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Oops, I rode it to work I started it, reed it upto about 8 grand (after engine was warm) could feel or hear any suction outside the air box? Bike seems to run fine has more low end grunt and seems happier like it can breathe easier. But yes I'll attack it w my HF brand dremel tonight. Can u be more specific as to what edge to grind down?

Whatever makes it fit :) .... If this is the first "cutting" you've done on your FZ, just take it slow and take it in bit by bit until it fits snug. also make sure that none of the particles go into the throttle bodies. When I did something similar to this, I taped over the throttle bodies and recovered the airbox for the time being. Now my K&N came with a metal bracket, Im not sure if the BMC did to, also check if that is binding up anywhere. the best first step is to put the old filter back in and visually see how they compare and that will give you a baseline for the adjustments

Whatever makes it fit :) .... If this is the first "cutting" you've done on your FZ, just take it slow and take it in bit by bit until it fits snug. also make sure that none of the particles go into the throttle bodies. When I did something similar to this, I taped over the throttle bodies and recovered the airbox for the time being. Now my K&N came with a metal bracket, Im not sure if the BMC did to, also check if that is binding up anywhere. the best first step is to put the old filter back in and visually see how they compare and that will give you a baseline for the adjustments

I consulted w another forum, I might of installed it wrong and need to flip it over. I'm tempted to take apart my bike in the parking lot at work to find out. If I did install it backwards I'm going to pay a stranger to kick my ass.

I can almost guarantee the filter is not seated properly. My BMC has to be jiggled a little so the grove in the filter finds the lip on the air box. When it seats you will know it, there will be no play in the filter. The first time I installed it I had the same problem you are having. It's not that the filter doesn't fit properly. It's more that it fits very good, nice and tight.

I consulted w another forum, I might of installed it wrong and need to flip it over. I'm tempted to take apart my bike in the parking lot at work to find out. If I did install it backwards I'm going to pay a stranger to kick my ass.

I have a BMC filter and it's a perfect fit, I was about to ask if you put it in upside down. I'm pretty sure that will fix your problem.

EXUP ELIMINATOR - i noticed u had that mod, whats the reasoning behind it? increased sound and air flow ?

It lets you remove the exup motor without causing an error in the computer. Removing the motor saves weight and space, and you can use the exup motor mounts to put in a fabricated shelf where you can place other things like the power commander. Usually when you upgrade your exhaust, it'll come with a mid pipe (or full exhaust) which doesn't have an exup valve, so the motor just sits there doing nothing and taking up space.

Back