Is it really that reluctant to come up (or am I a Wuss)

OK, then you need to change your style if you are going for style points! Sit back on the seat, relax your grip get it to about 5K and twist. you should have no problems! The rear sprocket is your ticket to hapiness if you want easy wheelies, plus it is not an expensive mod. just my 2cents

Yes change the riding style. Sit back. But also be ready to back off again and hit the back brake. Give it little bits at a time to get use to it. Giving it heaps in first gear at a higher rev you have to watch it when the front starts lifting. Once its gets about half way to balance point you wont need heaps of throttle to keep it in a power wheelie, PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.

Ive only flipped one bike a 120kmh before. Im not perfect but I'm getting there myself.

mine gets up in the air really easily but ive never ridden a stock one so i cant compare. my gen2 has one tooth smaller at front, micron pipe, exup and flies removed.

yeah, our bike doesn't easily lift the front even with all the mods. That's a good thing as it shows engineered stability and doesn't need a damper. However, with weight back and wack the throttle with good traction, and all the mods, front gets air. Clutch up anytime. For me, wheelies are like stoppies, feel interesting but that's not what the bike's about.

Well, I know the bike is for sport tourning; however, it is so much fun pull the front wheel up and softly put it back down. In a controlled safe environment.

Wheelies is the one thing I'm really afraid to do since I got in this game late. But I was riding with my buddy who has a Victory Hammer. Wads of torque on that massive V-Twin. He took off from the light like a bat out out of hell. And I took off after him. As I changed from 1rst to 2nd gear with the rpms in the 9-10K range the wheel came up. Scared the poop out of me so I let off a little and then got a hand full of throttle to catch him. There's little that's lacking on this bike if you know what you're doing. Not saying you don't. But I've sure been learning a lot.

Well, I know the bike is for sport tourning; however, it is so much fun pull the front wheel up and softly put it back down. In a controlled safe environment.

Our bike is not a 'sport tour bike,' but the FJR is just that. Here's the Yam link for specs/details:

Yamaha Sport Home - Motorcycles, Sport ATVs, Snowmobiles.

FZ1 is a super bike, and mega better with all mods, easily beats out the R1 is all-round work in medium range riding.

I see 'tour' bikes often. Mine is the 06 bought new in oct 07. Just turned over 50k miles yesterday, and all twisties.

In ain't no freakin TOUR BIKE.

Our bike is not a 'sport tour bike,' but the FJR is just that. Here's the Yam link for specs/details:

Yamaha Sport Home - Motorcycles, Sport ATVs, Snowmobiles.

FZ1 is a super bike, and mega better with all mods, easily beats out the R1 is all-round work in medium range riding.

I see 'tour' bikes often. Mine is the 06 bought new in oct 07. Just turned over 50k miles yesterday, and all twisties.

In ain't no freakin TOUR BIKE.

OK, well I don't want to split hairs with you. I disagree with the FZ1 being a "super bike."

FZ1 Suspension
Fully adjustable 43 mm inverted fork and a single shock with adjustable preload and rebound damping. Tunable for sport touring or track days.
320 mm front discs squeezed by monoblock four-piston calipers up front and a single 245 mm rear disc serve up strong and consistent stopping power.
R1 Suspension
SOQI front forks take a page from the championship-winning design of our MotoGP® weapon, the M1. Since both forks always move together, compression damping duties can be confined to the left fork, while rebound damping is precisely handled by the right fork, reducing oil cavitation.
The SOQI rear shock features both high and low speed compression damping plus an easy-to-use screw hydraulic adjustment for preload. This unit also adopts a pillow-ball-type joint for exceptional shock absorption, road hold feeling, and damper response. To achieve maximum performance, a bottom linkage is used to work with

When the FZ1 steps up the suspension to equal a decent super sport then I will change my mind. Until then... keep believing the advertising!

OK, well I don't want to split hairs with you. I disagree with the FZ1 being a "super bike."

FZ1 Suspension
Fully adjustable 43 mm inverted fork and a single shock with adjustable preload and rebound damping. Tunable for sport touring or track days.
320 mm front discs squeezed by monoblock four-piston calipers up front and a single 245 mm rear disc serve up strong and consistent stopping power.
R1 Suspension
SOQI front forks take a page from the championship-winning design of our MotoGP® weapon, the M1. Since both forks always move together, compression damping duties can be confined to the left fork, while rebound damping is precisely handled by the right fork, reducing oil cavitation.
The SOQI rear shock features both high and low speed compression damping plus an easy-to-use screw hydraulic adjustment for preload. This unit also adopts a pillow-ball-type joint for exceptional shock absorption, road hold feeling, and damper response. To achieve maximum performance, a bottom linkage is used to work with

When the FZ1 steps up the suspension to equal a decent super sport then I will change my mind. Until then... keep believing the advertising!

Not splitting hairs. Compare the FZ with the FJR, which is a tour bike. Or the connie. The FZ suspension, with upgraded shock, is superior to the R1 as that bike is nothing short of a full racer, as you pointed out. FZ can take the twisties everyday, 200 mile loops, non stop, and not cause the rider in shape any problems. Very difficult on a racer.

Full racers are designed for the track loops. Not designed for what the FZ can do daily, which street fight.

FZ1 is not a geezer bike, but a super bike. This bike HATES extra weight, and hates 'luggage' racks and 2up riding. It cranks and it kicks butt. And can do it four hours per day, non stop.

Anyone that argues that the FZ1 is a tour bike simply is not riding it to at least 75 percent of it's compacity. Or don't know how to ride it.

Making a 'tour' bike outta the FZ is like making a corvette into a mini van. Doesn't work nor make sense.

Scout, I think you are missing what I am saying. I feel that the FZ1's ability to serve as a sport touring motorcycle is a compliment to the machine. Comparing stock to stock the FZ1 does not compare to the R1 as far as the twisties go.

I love the comfort and all-around abilities of the FZ1, that is why I have one. I will not delude myself into thinking it is the be all motorcycle as I am a realist. If you upgrade any motorcycle it will be better. You can make modification to the R1 to make it a more street friendly bike as well.

I have to say, My Bandit 1200 was the wheelie king. Power out the a$$ down low. Wheelie out of any turn any time. FZ...well with the Akro only, it wouldn't bring the wheel up till about 9500. I'm 300lb :retard:(god I need to go on a diet). But now that I went to a 15/44 the front end doesn't come up as high. just kind of skips alot the ground. But I must say. It is scary fast. Not to many guys are willing to go that fast in the twisties. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:D

i just put my ass further back and crank the throttle...up goes the front wheel.

oh yea and hold on for dear life.

problem...it eats rear tires, and at 315 a pop i would much rather go faster with the front wheel down.

soft bag on the back seat for touring, not given much thought into hard bags on the side...if i wanted that i woulda got the fj.

its an all round performer, a perfect balance of power handling and comfort, i grin like a nutbar everytime i get on the damned thing.

Hi guys,

I'm a happy new(ish) owner of an FZ1 (ABS). After a late start to spring I've finally got the feel of the shiny FZ1 I picked up towards the end of last Season (N-hemisphere!).

I was expecting the pegs tendency to scrape early(ish). What I wasn't expecting was the Bikes reluctance to Wheelie. I mean, sure its a fairly forward riding position but 150PS is 150PS.

My old Fireblade (similar performance on paper) would power-wheelie in 2nd - just open her up and wait ;-). I swear I've ripped open the FZ from low speed in 1st a dozen times and - apart from accelerating like crazy - nuthin'. The front wheel doesn't even really get light. Even popping the clutch with a good dose of revs doesn't really do what I'd expect. She pops up a little sure enough but where the 'blade (or even the VFR800!) would have needed a dab of brake to avoid scaring me the FZ1 just settles straight down again.

Have Yamaha have done some electronic sneakery in 1st or am I just getting old/fat/chicken (select any that apply).

-Andrew

Here's my analysis of why she seems a little restrained. First I'm coming off an '06 ZX10R that I dynoed at 156 at the rear wheel so I have a leg to stand on. I could power wheelie in every gear up to 3rd at will and if I wacked her too fast in lower gears I'd be on my ass in a second flat.

The Fizzy is a bit more restrained. I've wacked my '08 open a few times and she doesn't really come alive until after 6K. She's also geared pretty high above first so it would take a clutch whack to get the wheel up in the higher gears and a ton of RPM's. Her legs are also much softer than the 10 was so she won't start lifting her skirt as easily as a liter bike hands down. Now I'm running a bone stock FZ....based on what I've read with some intake mods, a PC, and exhaust she comes alive and power wheelies would probably be much easier without gearing changes, Without any intake/exhaust mods I'm sure if you dropped a tooth on the front she'll be lifting her skirt more times than a hooker in the red light district. That's my $02.

Not splitting hairs. Compare the FZ with the FJR, which is a tour bike. Or the connie. The FZ suspension, with upgraded shock, is superior to the R1 as that bike is nothing short of a full racer, as you pointed out. FZ can take the twisties everyday, 200 mile loops, non stop, and not cause the rider in shape any problems. Very difficult on a racer.

Full racers are designed for the track loops. Not designed for what the FZ can do daily, which street fight.

FZ1 is not a geezer bike, but a super bike. This bike HATES extra weight, and hates 'luggage' racks and 2up riding. It cranks and it kicks butt. And can do it four hours per day, non stop.

Anyone that argues that the FZ1 is a tour bike simply is not riding it to at least 75 percent of it's compacity. Or don't know how to ride it.

Making a 'tour' bike outta the FZ is like making a corvette into a mini van. Doesn't work nor make sense.

Geese! Dogma bud. Biking is fun remember. Like your passion though...

Back