Is "Backfiring" Normal with Slip Ons ... ?

Two Wheels

I tell ya, for a newbie mechanic, I'm loving it. Making mistakes, but hey thats what makes my bike...my bike. Plus its nothing major. Cosmetic at best.

So, installed the Two Brothers carbon slip on + just drilled out my striped plastic scew and installed the tallest Cee Bailyes blacked out windhshield. Ive got the RED 08. I love it.

Now, with the two brother slip, some "sputtering" as I down shift, say coming to a light or something. Normal ?

Is that why you all go with the power commander ? No airbox mods or anything. Wallet needs a break as I just ordered levers and new grips. So, is that backfiring normal with the slip on ? I dont even mind it. Kind of makes the FZ sound tuff. But I'm an underwriter...I need to know how and why everyhing is interlinked... :)

:Rockon:Sweet ...

Two Wheels... I put on the TB can myself and experienced the very same popping and gurgling you called sputtering.

What I did was the LARS airbox mod and the AIS block-off. When you pull the airbox (the bottom comes off with the 6 bolts holding the two stacks in the box), there are two hoses, one on the rear and one under the left or clutch side of the bike. The one on the clutch side needs to be plugged and reintroduced to the airbox. You only need one clamp to do this, a small one that you can tighten to less than 9/16's of an inch.

Move the existing clamp down the hose, plug with a suitable device ABOVE this clamp, seal it with silicone and then put a new clamp on it to re-attach it to the airbox.

While there, cut the bottom of the airbox as seen in the LARS mod and de-screen the stock air filter.

I did this Saturday and the difference is night and day with the Two Brothers exhaust. Please read my post titled "No more popping and gurgling" for more info.

No PC III or V here yet.... stock ECU.

Hope this helps you like it helped me! Take care!

Last edited:
Back