Interchangable wheels for the genII FZ1 ???

Phil_RC_1

I have an 09 with those ugly green wheels, I think Yamaha calls them gold, but they ARE green, almost Army drab green!! I would like to change out the wheels cheaper then the cost of a custom set designed specifically for the FZ1.

Anyone know if there are any wheels that are a direct fit for the GenII FZ1? Like, do R1 or R6 wheels fit? Do GenI wheels fit the gen II? Even if it's not a direct bolt-on, I have no problem getting spacers etc. if needed.

Anyone want to trade their gold or black genII wheels for these , beautiful pretty, custom, awesome 09 wheels?? :disturbed

Lol I passed on an 09 leftover because of those wheels. No offence intended to the people who have them!

Search around for some 2008 or 2010 gold wheels on the forums or ebay. I want to say 04-06 R1 wheels for but don't buy them until someone confirms that.

Lol I passed on an 09 leftover because of those wheels. No offence intended to the people who have them!

Search around for some 2008 or 2010 gold wheels on the forums or ebay. I want to say 04-06 R1 wheels for but don't buy them until someone confirms that.

2004-06 R1 wheels are indeed a direct bolt on for the Gen II FZ1s. They share the same part numbers ;) Another option would be to powder coat your stock wheels, but that might be expensive since you'll most likely have to replace bearings and seals also. You have to remove them in order to powder coat the wheel and they are not easy to remove w/o damaging them.

Last edited:
2004-06 R1 wheels are indeed a direct bolt on for the Gen II FZ1s. They share the same part numbers ;) Another option would be to powder coat your stock wheels, but that might be expensive since you'll most likely have to replace bearings and seals also. You have to remove them in order to powder coat the wheel and they are not easy to remove w/o damaging them.

Powder coating is around $225 including taking the wheels off, according to a bike shop in my area. Of course that could differ slightly from shop to shop. I was looking to do mine orange this summer and still will.

Pulling wheel bearings is really no problem. I bought a blind hole bearing puller set off ebay for under $70.00. I don't remember the seller but they are on there. Before I even knew that any such puller was offered I used a punch & hammer. You lay the wheel on its side, carefully pry the seals out. Then use the punch to push the spacer over just enough so you can set the punch on the inner lip of the bearing. Ounce you feel that the punch is catching the lip, you hit it with the hammer. Do this in little increments from side to side in a cross pattern. I have never damaged a bearing doing it that way & was taught that at MMI ( MICKEY MOUSE Institute ) sorry but i thought the school was to basic for the price I paid.

I hope that helps with the wheels. My powder coater charges $225.00 for a whole frame & swingarm with many other parts included. Check around and you will be amazed at the price difference.

Keep it in a wheelie, JJAM

Maybe a bearing puller is in my future. I just mounted a new set of Metz Z8's so it might be mid summer before I do anything about it but powder coat seems to be the best option, mainly because the color options are a lot broader. Thanx for the feedback guys.

Phil

Back