Insurance

Something to keep in mind with progressive, this may or may not be applicable to your state.

1) The rate you pay is for an entire year. This rate is weighed evenly for the whole year. That is, in IL, where our riding season is cut short by 5-6 months each year, the amount of premium applied in January is the same as it is in July.

2) Progressive gives you the option to change coverages at will, even several times a month. I personally exercised this quite a few times last year as I'd come home for 3-4 days, then leave on assignment for 2-3 weeks at a time. Little reason to have full coverage on the bike while it's sitting.

3) During the off season months, I drop liability down to lowest the state allows, and only leave comprehensive on the policy.

By exercising the above, I easily cut my $600-700 rate down to 300-350$. So far no complaints from progressive and they've renewed me twice.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I purchased progressive insurance last night, and even switched the mrs over saving over $100.

:tup:

Progressive, cheapest of all I called.

$638 a year, full coverage, 100/300/50. My FZ6 was $450 with the same coverage. But get this, if I added the FZ1 to my policy it was nearly $900 a year, but if I bought a brand new separate policy it was $638. So I'll just buy a new policy each time a buy a bike, tricky bastards.

Progressive, cheapest of all I called.

$638 a year, full coverage, 100/300/50. My FZ6 was $450 with the same coverage. But get this, if I added the FZ1 to my policy it was nearly $900 a year, but if I bought a brand new separate policy it was $638. So I'll just buy a new policy each time a buy a bike, tricky bastards.

or is it you that's the tricky bastard? :confused0024:

or is it you that's the tricky bastard? :confused0024:

Don't know, one or the other, they can't explain why adding a bike onto my current policy is a couple hundred more than buying a new one. Only thing I can figure is that they give a discount for new policies to get people to change over and that discount is not even visible to customer service folks, then you go to the usual rate once you start renewing.

I've got everyone beat now! I added the 250R to my insurance policy today. What a flippin' joke! I can't express just how much I hate NY. I really can't wait for Richie to finish school. The day after graduation I'm outta here!

Can you believe $238.00 dollars for liability insurance for a friggin 250!!! Before you all start asking me to try a different insurance, it's too late. I have checked them all and Geico is THE cheapest in my neck of the woods. So now heres the breakdown..........

1986 Olds Cutlass Supreme = $1016.00 Liability Insurance :rant:

2001 Yamaha FZ1000 = $336.00 Liability Insurance :rant:

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R = $238.00 Liability Insurance :rant:

48 Year Old Male
Licensed 31 Years
Spotless Driving Record
No Accidents

Go figure!!!:rant:

I've got everyone beat now! I added the 250R to my insurance policy today. What a flippin' joke! I can't express just how much I hate NY. I really can't wait for Richie to finish school. The day after graduation I'm outta here!

Can you believe $238.00 dollars for liability insurance for a friggin 250!!! Before you all start asking me to try a different insurance, it's too late. I have checked them all and Geico is THE cheapest in my neck of the woods. So now heres the breakdown..........

1986 Olds Cutlass Supreme = $1016.00 Liability Insurance :rant:

2001 Yamaha FZ1000 = $336.00 Liability Insurance :rant:

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R = $238.00 Liability Insurance :rant:

48 Year Old Male
Licensed 31 Years
Spotless Driving Record
No Accidents

Go figure!!!:rant:

For what term? 1 year, 6 month or monthly? I am paying $264 a year for liability on my wifes 250. $22 per month.

For what term? 1 year, 6 month or monthly? I am paying $264 a year for liability on my wifes 250. $22 per month.

These premiums are for a year. My friend who lives 20 minutes North in Westchester County has a 2008 Harley Fatboy and pays $311.00 a year for full coverage plus roadside assistance. He has 3 cars and the bike.

04 Cadillac Escalade
07 Nissan Extera
06 Audi A4 Turbo
08 Harley Fatboy

All combined he pays less than $1900.00 a year for full coverage!

I feel for ya Brad. Your premium is worse than mine. It's a damn shame that here in NY you pay high premiums because of all the insurance scams and uninsured motorists that screw it up for the rest of us. Thats straight from the mouth of the Geico agent herself.

These premiums are for a year. My friend who lives 20 minutes North in Westchester County has a 2008 Harley Fatboy and pays $311.00 a year for full coverage plus roadside assistance. He has 3 cars and the bike.

04 Cadillac Escalade
07 Nissan Extera
06 Audi A4 Turbo
08 Harley Fatboy

All combined he pays less than $1900.00 a year for full coverage!

I feel for ya Brad. Your premium is worse than mine. It's a damn shame that here in NY you pay high premiums because of all the insurance scams and uninsured motorists that screw it up for the rest of us. Thats straight from the mouth of the Geico agent herself.

Houston, or more accurately Harris County, has horribly high rates. One of the top 5 worst places to have to insure a vehicle. Sad thing is that if she starts riding the full coverage will cost about $45 a month for that little 250. I was excited about the $22 a month.

Insurance in Houston is expensive. I pay about $800 a year for full coverage including uninsured drivers through State Farm. Progressive quoted me about $960 for same levels of coverage.

I have a lifetime of discounts through State farm and can never find anyone close.

Geico quoted me $3,500 a year for the FZ1! lol How are they even in business?

How's this for dredging up an old thread!

So, now that I am in Texas and need to get insurance for the autos and bikes, I got some sticker shock on quotes. I got about the same quote from Geico. Progressive was not much better. So, I searched and found this message Brad. After speaking with State Farm, they quoted me $746 for the two bikes, full coverage for the year. The auto is more expensive but with the multi policy discount, the entire package is cheaper than just the motorcycle quotes I have been getting! So, thanks for the tip from almost 6 years ago!

-Eric

I'm with Liberty Mutual for all insurance.

House about $900

2 cars about $1,200

Umbrella about $200.00

4 bikes about $750.00

Last edited:
We've got an insurance monopoly here in the form of a crown corporation provider. You are required to have basic insurance through them but can get your extra coverage elsewhere. My basic is ~$1450 per year (with nearly a maximum discount) and my private add on is $250 a year.

Last edited:
Back