Installing LEDs in the headlight of a 2004

firefly

I want to install two high powered LEDs in the top corners of the headlight, I have the headlight off the bike but can't seem to be able to separate the lens from the housing to get to the inside, is it glued? or what?
Thanks for any input.

You may want to look take a look at this:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/1436-pod-mod-lights.html

If that doesn't work for you and you want to separate the headlight then a heat gun will be your friend to soften the glue holding it together.

Thanks, I cut the plastic with the tip of hot utility blade so nothing would fall in the headlight, worked well used the 3watt eagle eye LED's amber, will take photos later & post them.

Those work well. Ended up putting them in mine.

They also make great running lights, I ordered 10 of them in white, will attach them to a flexible one inch OD hose side by side & zip tie them to the bottom of the fairing or anywhere that will work & look good.

Thanks, I cut the plastic with the tip of hot utility blade so nothing would fall in the headlight, worked well used the 3watt eagle eye LED's amber, will take photos later & post them.

Looking forward to the finished product. Do they mostly shine the light forward or can they be seen form the sides as well?

I didn't want to risk taking the lens off but also didn't want to use a drill & end up with plastic filings getting in the headlight so I used a sharp pointed knife, heated its tip until it became red hot and carefully cut a rectangular cut as shown in the photo, just enough to slide in the eagle eye LED sideways, this provided support to the round LED head then put a washer and tightened the nut provided with the LED.
hope that helps.

I didn't want to risk taking the lens off but also didn't want to use a drill & end up with plastic filings getting in the headlight so I used a sharp pointed knife, heated its tip until it became red hot and carefully cut a rectangular cut as shown in the photo, just enough to slide in the eagle eye LED sideways, this provided support to the round LED head then put a washer and tightened the nut provided with the LED.
hope that helps.

That confirms the idea that I had, tap a hole big enough for the light to fit thru and a slot for a washer. Got my lights on order. Thanks! N

Back