Installing a Battery Tender SAE Harness

Yes indeedy, one experience of coming back to my bike after accidentally leaving my parking lights on all day was enough for me to invest in one of these.

I got two cables with mine, one has ring terminals to an SAE connector, that one is permanently connected to the battery. The other cable is clamps to SAE, I carry that one around under the pillion seat.

If I ever get stuck out on the road with a dead battery I can connect the clamps cable via SAE to the rings cable.

Or if I get stuck close to home I can connect the AC trickle charger to the battery via SAE to the rings cable.

Last edited:
This is a no brainer of a mod.....every bike should have this ring harness on it and a BT connected when the bike sits for more than a day or two. Batteries will last years longer when kept topped up.

I put one on all the bikes and use them often. I routed mine using a 24" extension up to the gauge cluster and zip-tied it where I can plug in any SAE adapter to run gadgets.

Another benefit.... My wife and I carry 25' SAE extentions in our tank bags with an SAE to cigarette adapter. We both have cig-sockets as well. You can use this setup to jump-start a bike from another bike with SAE and/or Cig-socket, or jumnp-start from any car using their cig-socket to your SAE plug. :D

I put one on all the bikes and use them often. I routed mine using a 24" extension up to the gauge cluster and zip-tied it where I can plug in any SAE adapter to run gadgets.

Another benefit.... My wife and I carry 25' SAE extentions in our tank bags with an SAE to cigarette adapter. We both have cig-sockets as well. You can use this setup to jump-start a bike from another bike with SAE and/or Cig-socket, or jumnp-start from any car using their cig-socket to your SAE plug. :D

I do the exact same thing!

I have been using the hardwired battery tenders for about 4 years now. It is always a "have to do this" kinda thing when purchasing a new toy and changing out the oil the first time.

I just recieved my battery tender, this morning.
My bike's previous owner had it already hardwired, tucked behind the rear-set ...too easy!:)

I've used a tender on every bike I've ever owned and can honestly say that my batteries have lasted well beyond their years of use. I plug in my bike religiously every time I get back home. It gives me piece of mind that the battery is always in top condition and won't leave me stranded someplace on the road.

The YZF has those holes molded into the rear tail section which worked as a perfect spot to hide the connector. When not in use it's not seen......
IMG_2981.jpg

And when I get home I just pop it out the hole and plug her in until the next ride........
IMG_2982.jpg

Back