Installed R6 Throttle Tube

a7x3797

Just installed the R6 throttle tube and took the first ride, I must say, it is very different. For those of you who are unfamiliar, the R6 throttle tube has a larger Cam diameter making the distance from closed to open throttle about 1/6th turn instead of 1/5th turn. The mod was simple and relatively inexpensive. I like it, although it will take some getting used to, as a minor change in the throttle results in a larger output than the stock throttle. All in all, it was a worth while mod, it definitely gives the bike the appearance of being faster than it is, and it is more comfortable to hit WOT, as you do not need to re position your hand.

You are right when you say it gives the appearance of being faster. It is one of the oldest tricks by tuners to fool people into thinking their vehicle, car / bike, is faster than it actually is. I had a tuner do this to my Mustang and absolutely hated it. It made for a very jerky off the line throttle response. Don't know how it would be on a bike. I see your point about full throttle being easier to obtain because you don't have to twist the grip as much. However, I've been riding a long time as have many others on this board and don't think I would like full throttle being reached without a full turn of the grip. Old habits and such. Good luck with it though. I can definitely see gas mileage taking a dive until you get used to it.

Gas mileage?! Haha. Never a concern on my FZ. I'm happy when I see 28 to 30. Since this is off the R6, it's not THAT over the top, it is still controllable. I would still reccomend this mod to anyone who seeks to reduce their throttle turn as I did. Any seasoned rider should be able to hop on it and ride it without a hiccup

Here's some links...
How to: R6 1/6-turn Throttle Tube Install - Lots of pics! : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net
Product: Yamaha 2C0262400000 Grip Assembly:Amazon:Automotive
Part number: Yamaha 2C0262400000 Grip Assembly

The one from Amazon is the nylon tube with a new R6 grip on it. It doesn't have a second grip as shown. If you want to try your local dealer, they may have just the tube for under 20 bucks, but make sure you check the part number. I didn't want to get into that with my local yamaha dealer because they are all a bunch of morons and is probably end up with the wrong tube.

Again, overall installation took 5 minutes. The how to guide off the cbr forum I linked above is very in depth and makes it seem like a longer process than it is.

Without the ecu being flashed, I do feel the throttle snatch more severely now. Not worried because I'm going to send it to I an during this off season.

Last edited:
You can adjust the cable some more at the throttle cable adjuster covered by a rubber boot under the master cylinder area.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You can adjust the cable some more at the throttle cable adjuster covered by a rubber boot under the master cylinder area.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think we're talking about the same adjustment point. 3-4" away from the throttle housing on the "pull" cable,unless theres something I overlooked. Didn't see any other adjustment options @ the bar,and didn't access throttle bodies. If Im missing something please enlighten me. Anyways mod works mint. 20 mins with a beer/smoke break @ the halftime and you're done. No mods/BS. Done. The link for the cbr1000 is TMI but semi usefull. Theres nothing like that to be done. No grinding. No unscrewing tubes,nothing. Figures a Honda likes Yamaha parts,,,, Just bottom the pull adjuster,plop it in,and you're good. Even easier to roll away from dead stop with next to none throttle input,and WOT is way easier on the wrist. What blew my min was that they equipped a cbr1000 with a 1/4(90deg) turn throttle. Parts binning from cbr125.......??????

Got the throttle tube in but now I'm confused bec it says it's for an. Fz1 and also r6 etc...did I buy the damn wrong one? I don't want to replace it with the same exact throttle tube. I'll post a pic up when I grt a sec, but it'd the exact one in the link above this comment.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back