Indicator question

Chukka

I have a 2010 FZ1N in the UK.Ive been looking into some new indicators.Would i have to buy new relays and if so how many.
Are smoked lens indicators easy to see and what brands or makes should i be looking to purchase ??

Not sure what you mean by new relays...if you're not switching to LED lights then the stock flasher will work. If switching to LEDs then get a flasher unit that's meant to work with the low loads of the LED lights. I prefer that route over the inline resistors.

As for smoked indicators...they are not as easy to see as regular ones as you're cutting down on the amount of light being transmitted. Just my :2cents:

yes,relays/flasher units is what i meant.I only ask as when i had my R6 i would have needed 4 new ones had i changed to LED's

If switching to LEDs then get a flasher unit that's meant to work with the low loads of the LED lights. I prefer that route over the inline resistors.

What do you mean?

I have LED rear indicators and mine work, they just flash faster because of the difference. The guy at the shop told me it was no big deal, they would just flash faster.

Do I need to change something out? Am I causing problems?

I agree with NJFZ1.
If you are going to go to the trouble of installing LEDs then but a dedicated LED flasher unit.
They are available on EBay for around $20.
It will flash at the correct weight and negate the need for high amperage resistors.

What do you mean?

I have LED rear indicators and mine work, they just flash faster because of the difference. The guy at the shop told me it was no big deal, they would just flash faster.

Do I need to change something out? Am I causing problems?

Yeah, that's what he's asking about. Swapping relays is only necessary to reduce flash rate. While you're not hurting anything by having quick flash rate, it may not be legal. Certainly not legal in my state and while I probably won't get pulled over for it, if I get pulled over for something else there's a good chance I'll get ticketed for the blinkers too.

From what I've read, you only need one flasher relay swapped on the FZ1 to slow all 4 blinkers to DOT approved rate.. and apparently this is the one to go with (supposed to be plug and play): Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play

If switching to LEDs then get a flasher unit that's meant to work with the low loads of the LED lights. I prefer that route over the inline resistors.

+1! While I don't have personal experience adding resistors in, I understand they get very hot and need to be isolated from paint and plastic.. no thanks!

Yeah, that's what he's asking about. Swapping relays is only necessary to reduce flash rate. While you're not hurting anything by having quick flash rate, it may not be legal. Certainly not legal in my state and while I probably won't get pulled over for it, if I get pulled over for something else there's a good chance I'll get ticketed for the blinkers too.

From what I've read, you only need one flasher relay swapped on the FZ1 to slow all 4 blinkers to DOT approved rate.. and apparently this is the one to go with (supposed to be plug and play): Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play

Yea, that flasher relay will work perfectly for LED turn signals. I had one on my FZ1 and the flash rate was the same as stock. I was never a fan on the inline resistors...

yes,relays/flasher units is what i meant.I only ask as when i had my R6 i would have needed 4 new ones had i changed to LED's

I think you were confusing the inline resistors with the actual flasher unit as there is only one of those. If you went the resistor route then you would need one for each turn signal, hence the need for four on them of your previous R6.

While you're not hurting anything by having quick flash rate, it may not be legal. Certainly not legal in my state and while I probably won't get pulled over for it, if I get pulled over for something else there's a good chance I'll get ticketed for the blinkers too.

I don't remember anything along those lines being discussed in the California Motorcycle Handbook, but I imagine the faster flash rate is probably not legal here either......

As long as it is not hurting anything I am leaving it alone. I happen to like the faster flash rate. I also have no front plate on my cars even thought that is required as well.

ok,so if the bulbs flash at a faster rate,does this reduce there life span ??.
this question is out of curiosity not because im worried about bulb life

Out of interest where do you fit the new relay? I looked in to it but was not sure abouts the 2 pin, 3 pin etc so got the resistors... Haven't got round to fitting them yet though.

Just to clarify, in the UK it's an MOT failure if they flash too quickly. Therefore illegal.

---
I am here: Google Maps
Member of the 1 litre club...

The relay replaces the stock one, which is located under the passenger seat on the right side of the bike from what I remember. It's plug-n-play ;)

ok,so if the bulbs flash at a faster rate,does this reduce there life span ??.
this question is out of curiosity not because im worried about bulb life

In a nut shell, yes

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Ballmead is technically correct, however the life span of an LED is many times that of a standard bulb, and considering that most LED indicators have about 5 or 6 individual bulbs chances of them all going out at the same time are unlikely. I would guess your connections would corrode before the LEDs stop working.

Back