I'm having second thoughts about my FZ1

torquewhore

It's coming up on a full week of owning this bike and I'm already thinking about selling.

The biggest issue I have is snatchy throttle delivery. It seems it is very difficult to go from full off-throttle deceleration to partial throttle smoothly. I feel like when I am just poking along and accelerating very through the gears it's hard to get the throttle to the point where you are just barely still accelerating at the next gear. For instance it seems like you open the throttle and get more gas than what you want or just less than what you want which results in not-smooth acceleration.

If you are accelerating quickly it is smooth. As long as you you want more gas than needed to match revs to current speed it's smooth.

The on/off throttle transition is a big deal. Does anyone else have this complaint? It's difficult to lay down smooth power midpoint through the turn which is just plain dangerous in high speed corners.

Another thing - the engine is not very lively below 7000 rpm which is sucky especially after riding GSXR1000's for so long you get used to having silly power and torque from 3000rpms and on. I wish Suzuki made a naked bike based on the GSXR1000 engine (instead of the heavy and weird/awesome looking B-King).

My final gripe is under-seat storage - there is none! Every bike I have ever owned except for this one has been able at a minimum to hold a spare visor. My CBR had a Scorpio alarm unit, Oxford Hot Hands removable grip warmers, spare visor and a tool kit with still room for a pair of shorts and flip flops to change into when I get somewhere.

The FZ1 holds a toolkit. I have to wear a backpack everywhere I go since I wear a dark visor during the day and then am often out past sunset and need to switch. How inconvenient. What is with modern bikes? None of them have any under tail storage space anymore!

Let me know if anybody is interested in a good clean FZ1 I think I will keep my eye peeled for a good used 2003/2004 GSXR 1000. Even though it's not nearly as comfortable at least it holds a spare visor and is balls fast right out of the box. Maybe I'll put some risers on it.

What year is your bike and is it a stocker or has someone done some ahndy work on it? My "08" runs fine and the storage is a non-issue. If I want storage, I use my Goldwing.

it's all about the mods man... and making the bike do what you want...

want more storage? get luggage... it's not a touring bike, so storage wasn't a huge concern in development....

throttle issues can be a lot of times because of the user... I have a buddy with a 06 which was the most horrible as far as fueling issues go... he doesn't have the FCE.. and he's just adapted his riding style to the bike... no real problem...

In the UK the 06/07 models were known to have dodgy fuelling issues. I think that they were tamed by the installation of a PCIII...you'd need to check with others on that though.

Storage space....I didn't really expect any and so just use my Kriega US10 as a tailpack.

The bike is an "07"

Mods
-Micron GP exhaust - I actually don't know if it's full or just a can but I think it's just the slip on
-AIS block off

Other than that the bike appears to be stock.

Those of you who think storage is not important must not ride your bike everyday as a daily driver. Getting luggage adds cost, weight and wind drag. I understand there are ways to work around not having any undertail storage but at a cost. I hate wearing a backpack.

"it's not a touring bike, so storage wasn't a huge concern in development...."

That's just not fair! If I want everyday usability I am stuck to a fat slow turd of a bike that can't stop or handle well? Someone has got to think about the bloke that still wants a top performing machine to use everyday. Not everyone only uses their bikes on track days.

Was it just happenstance that every gixxer made before 2005 had underseat storage since it wasn't a priority in the engineers minds? The engineers finished the bike and were like, "oops, this isn't a touring bike! Somehow we have under seat storage! Oh well just leave it - we'll fix it next year and have little to no underseat storage. That way sport riders won't get confused with touring riders."

I'm just not sure what switched in the engineers minds. 2005+ bikes just have no under seat storage anymore. I know it's a fashion thing but I am a believer of function over form.

I'll give it a few more days and see if I adapt to the throttle and operate it more smoothly. Hopefully that will be the case but I didn't need any adaptation to go from a Gixxer to a CBR not to mention when I ride my dad's TL or my bro's Duc S4R I don't have any issues with throttle smoothness.

I have read a couple reviews and the journalists say the throttle can be snatchy.

and... the newer GSXR's and CBR's... have about enough storage to hold a pair of sunglasses...

I think the big change was to keep the tail section skinny... think of the early 90's late 80's sport bikes... the tail was a foot thick and a foot and a half wide.... you could cool down a six-pack in the under-seat storage...

I think with a little bit of time invested, and a few dollars, you could make the FZ fit your needs.... gut the convertors... do the airbox mod... remove the flies... there's plenty of stuff you can do to liven up the lower-end of the bike... for storage space... a lot of folks run tank bags and similar.... something small.. just enough to carry the essentials...

I don't see a new supersport being the fix for this...

Get a tail bag so you don't have to wear the backpack, which I know can be a hassle.

Do the other mods suggested and you'll feel some added power. I felt the same as you about the power and installing a full Yosh R-77 exhaust along with the PC V totally transformed the bike. Also a 16T front sprocket will help and it's a cheap mod (unlike my other ones).

Mine is my daily commuter and I use it for touring. I have the Cortech Sport Tribag system and I use primarily the tailbag each and every day. It can carry my full rain gear, tools, Slime air compressor, tire plug kit, some more odds and ends along with my work laptop all in one tailbag. It Doesn't interfere with riding and takes up no rider space. It also adds nothing to drag as it is behind me.

The throttle can be fixed with Ivan's FCE kit but you can help two ways for free. Take up the slack in the throttle cable (be careful not to take up too much to allow full lock to lock turning) and tie the flies, which helps a lot with the throttle response.

If that doesn't work, then this bike simply is not for you. Sorry.

gut the cats and remove the flies and cut the airbox and i bet youll love it a lil more at least i know i did after i was gettin bored with mine do that with a pc and youll be runnin right with the cbr's and gsxr's

I Have a 07 bike and the throttle is runing fine, the problem was only in the 06 model.
I use the bike to commute every day with a backpack, for me that the best way.

As said above, this bike is standing with the top of the Japanese bikes. It gives much more than you can take esspecialy on the road.
One week is not enough to know if you like it or not, do the changes and if not sell, no need to fight against the machine.

I can't see the similarity to the Suzuki totaly differenet bikes.

Tough call man, but your the only one who can decide what you want. I've only ridden one gen II and it was definitely not as smooth as my gen I, but it was not corrected with the FCE or PCIII or whatever it is that FI bikes use. If your set on a Gixx you'll never be happy with an FZ....do what makes you happy so you can :rmwl:

It is too hasty of you think about selling such a perfect bike when the fix is a simple $200 FCE. Now why they don't provide it from the factory then consider the $500 or so you saved towards haggling down on the price can be used to make a bike perfect. That too this snatch is not pronounced on the 07+ compared to the 06. Get the FCE, stop complaining and enjoi the ride.

Last edited:
It is all about the mods with these bikes. I also thought the stock bike was lacking in the bottom end. I did all the common intake and exhaust mods at once and it was a whole new critter! Before you trade and or sell the bike try to see if someone near you has a fully modded bike that they would let you ride. I think it just might change your mind!

Torque,
Wear a clear shield and wear sunglasses.

Everyone bitches about this bike not having low end torque. Hit the throttle and jump the RPM to around 5-7k and there is plenty of torque and speed.

Storage?? Drive your car.

i can give mine some twist in first gear and it jumps side ways. it is 100% stock. just had the 600 mile service done and the throttle body's were way off. it now runs like never before.

Back