I'm going to be a dad!

bsly

My wife is due in September and we are having boy! I am excited and terrified all at the same time. It's going to be such a huge change in our lives, but I can hardly wait! We've been busy preparing so I haven't had much time to spend on the FZ1. I did manage to squeeze in an overnight trip to Pittsburgh back in May of this year. Severe storms were forecast when I left Ohio, so I dressed for a hurricane. Of course it didn't rain a drop during the 85 mile ride over. I had met up with the same two friends I did the 1850 mile bike trip with last year (to North Carolina). Because my wife is pregnant, I didn't want to leave her for a week, so I opted to just do the overnight ride to Pittsburgh. The next day I rode home and my friends continued across PA into Maryland and over to Atlantic City, then to New York City (over several days of course). They had a great trip! Wish I could have gone with them.
The wonderful news of becoming parents has left us pondering the changes to our lives, and we have come to realize that our shared hobby of motorcycling isn't something we will be able to enjoy with our new baby. We initially had no intention of selling our bikes (my FZ1 and her Ninja 650R), but after given it extensive thought, it just doesn't make sense for us to keep them at this point in our lives. My wife and I will have very little opportunity to ride together for the next 5 to 10 years, leaving our bikes to collect dust in the garage. From a financial standpoint, it only makes sense to sell them. As much as I hate to let my FZ1 go, I will be putting it up for sale in the coming weeks. I'll post it in the sales section in the near future.
I have greatly enjoyed this forum and will visit from time to time to keep up on new FZ1 news. With any luck Yamaha will continue to produce the FZ1 as the perfect "Do it all" bike and when I am back in the market to buy I can get another one. (Maybe with a crossplane engine!). I sure am going to miss my FZ1 when it goes.

Congrats maybe one day youll be able to get the little guy into motorcycles when you have a chance to get another one. :cheers:

Well I gotta say Congrats and Sorry in the same sentence! Congrats on your new edition and sorry that you have to sell the FZ. While I understand that having a baby is a big deal and takes up much of your time, it only lasts about 3 years before you can start doing the "other" things you love again. You may want to just keep her parked in the garage and see what happens. I've been through two children in my life and still raising a 17 year old by myself and it's not as time consuming as you may think. Part of the joy of raising my son was having him around bikes and cars which spurred his interest in our hobby as well. As God is my witness, my son at age three could sit in his car seat and tell you the names of any pre-80's car by just looking at the tail lights while on the road! It used to amaze family and friends back then. Now he's more into the import "tuner" thing but I love him just the same. All I'm trying to say is to think about it first before selling off all your goodies just because you have a son on the way.

In any event I want to wish you the best of luck and don't be nervous as you'll see that it will be a joyous experience that will have you smiling everyday! New babies are truly a miracle of life! Good luck!

Congratulations on your addition to the family. I'm sure you both will make good parents if you simply teach your son to be a good and decent person. Don't worry about making him rich or perfect. And make him an important part of your lives, if not the most important part, but also remember that if you make yor own life something you don't enjoy, you'll both end up bitter and apart. Remember that! Always putting others first, puts you last, and it never works for very long before the relationship falls apart.

Congrats!!! And I completely understand, I gave up all the toys to raise the kids but when the twins turned 18, the toys started coming back! The kids did come first all those years though.

No worries, it goes by in the blink of an eye and you're back on the bikes in no time at all. Being a Dad beats motorcycles!

Congrats!!! But don't sell!!! If it's something you love, your going to NEED it. Everyone needs a stress reliever, and if it's yours, stay with it. Compromise. It's ALL about balance. While I was unable to have children of my own, I've raised 2 abandoned by family members. Getting them involved in my sports, and my motorcycling, helped make them the people they are! Life is short my friend. BALANCE. :)

Congrats. I am a father of a 5 year old. We just had him yesterday. If you can see what Im saying the time will go by so fast. You could easily find yourself in a tougher possition in 5 to 10 years to where you dont have the funds or whatnot to buy again. You see even if your current bike dont get much rode time at least in a couple years it will be paid for in full if it isnt already. I had my FZ when we had our son. If you need to sell at least one then do it. But Dont get out of biking, its harder to get back into it.
Best wises to you and yours.
Earlzach.

PS this was just my:2cents:

Congratulations, on the news of a new child. I gave up motorcycles after a very close brush with a cage when my my youngest was three weeks old. But then the girls grew up and I bought my FZ1. Parenthood is the best thing ever.

Last edited:
no need to give it up,I didnt with my sons and they are both into cars,trucks,bikes,watercraft just had to tone it down alittle when they were growing up

congats on the new baby but i would wait on selling the bikes. there will be times when you just new some time to unwind. i have 3 small kids and it is hard to find time to get out and ride but my best time is after they are all ready for bed and the house is quiet. good luck on the new family but just dont rush to sell the bikes just yet.....

Congrats man! I truly believe having children changes you for the better (albiet it complicates the HELL out of your lives! LOL )

That said kids are great and wouldn't change a thing!!!! As far as keep/sell ... do what you feel is right... It will be tough finding time over the next few years but you will be better parents if you find the time to "make time" for yourselves.

Good luck bro ...

-lee "father of three" and still ridin :D

You don't have to sell....you just won't ride as much.
I have a 5 year old, and still get some ridding in. Once or twice to work a week, at least every other week end with the guys, and once a month with the wife and the guys and theirs.
My wife enjoys her mommy time with the son.
Oh yea...I bought a used side car and hooked it up to a beat up xj550, I pick up my son at school at least once a week.
Oh yea, if you guys can get a sitter every now and then, your quality rides together will be much more enjoyable.

My wife is the best...I'm leaving on Friday to the dragon for 8 days...cant get any better Than that.

Last edited:
:thewave::thewave:
congratulations. As mentioned by others: do not sell your bike. I've sold my bike when I became father of my first and I've been without for 12 years and missed every day ... back in the saddle since 2005 and allthough last year I beacmae father of another pair of handsome boys, my bikes are stillwith me.

It is about planing your rides

your family is the most precious on this earth and every moment you're with them you'll feel blessed (ignore the bad moments at night :)

Back