Im going on my first trip tomorrow, any advice?

Area57

So, I've been hiding for two weeks now and waiting for a nice day so tomorrow is supposed to be 62 and sunny so I think I will go to the coast. It is an hour and a half away, and then drive about an hour north. It's really windy, hilly and scenic. I hope I'm up to it. I really need practice on taking curves and turns, that is definitely my weak point.

Any advice on what I should bring? I don't want to forget anything. I guess I will have to take a backpack since I need to bring at the least a camera and some lenses.

This turning is the hardest part. I was watching some videos on counter steering. I will have a lot of chances to practice that tomorrow. Right now I can go kinda fast on the straights and grandma slow thought the turns. I don't want to be that guy though. So that's what I do? I push forward with the hand I want to turn that direction and then lean with the bike? I was not doing the hand part, but leaning my body when I wanted to turn.

I hope my throttle hand doesn't get too tired. I haven't gone so far yet. Really just around town, and twice to the next town out. Not too far. Wish me luck.

First thing: have a great time!

What to bring? Other than your factory toolkit, I'd pack a portable flat repair kit like a Stop 'n Go plug kit.

Regarding the issues with turning: your description is very typical for someone who hasn't had any formal training. At the moment, you are operating the bike only through instincts and don't actually know how to control it.

Counter steering is an often (wrongly) debated topic on the motorcycle interwebs. Theres no debate, it is the only way to steer a motorcycle. What you have been doing currently is counter steering without realizing it. When you use your body weight to muscle the bike into a turn, you are using counter steering.

This video explains it all:
[video=youtube_share;8_5Z3jyO2pA]http://youtu.be/8_5Z3jyO2pA[/video]

Last edited:
cool, thanks! I've been putting myself through my own motorcycle boot camp! I have ridden everyday. I have used the bike as my primary form of transportation. I have learned some basic maintenance. I have changed a tire single handedly, It has rained every single day other than today. I think, and I may be wrong, but I probably already know what they teach in the MSC. I haven't really ever taken lessons for anything else. Although I will have to take that class at some point. whenever they get availability in two months or whatever.

should be a fun day. Tool, kit. I should look through what is in mine. The plus and those co2 cartridges? those work well right? I got those and stuck them somewhere. I should dig them out.

How much foot protection is necessary on longer rides? I see guys with those super cool alpine stars plastic boots, but those might be overkill for me at this point.

Yeah, the CO2 is perfect to carry under the seat along with the kit. Two canisters are enough to get you back on the road to a gas station. You can get them at any bicycle shop as well, they are a standard thing. Maybe elsewhere.

I have used my kit several times for both myself and other stranded motorists so it's paid for itself many times over already.

You're on the right track and have a great attitude so I hope you have lots of fun! Practice makes perfect.

How much foot protection is necessary on longer rides? I see guys with those super cool alpine stars plastic boots, but those might be overkill for me at this point.

There is no such thing as "overkill" on footwear. I have had good boots save my feet and legs too many times to count. Boots that give shin and achiles protection as well as a sole stiff enough to not let your foot "fold" are as important as a good helmet and gloves. In town I will ride in jeans tucked into my boots, but with armored jacket, gloves and helmet (no matter how hot it is). When I go off-road or on highway I add armored pants.

I might post a picture of my friend's leg after a low speed street "low side" He was wearing those shorty "cool" boots that just come above the ankle and Kevlar jeans. Shame that the jeans rode up as he slid giving him serious road-rash on one calf. The shorty boots gave next to no protection and the footpeg poked a hole in his leg exposing the bone and tendons. Weeks later and he is having issues with the giant scab cracking when he moves and the 19 stitches to close the hole (some internal) are a bit itchy.

By the way Have Fun and ride safe! Stay relaxed but keep your knees tight against the tank and your posture good and you will find this helps you control the bike with "body language". Don't over think it or ride beyond your abilities. That ability line will move as you get more seat-time.

Warning: Don't open the pictures if you are squeamish, you will wish you could Un-See one of them.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 32
  • leg.jpg
    leg.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
This is what I wear every time I go out on the bike:
TCX-Competizione-S-GTX.jpg

These are actually a compromise for comfort and function compared to the full on racing boots

This is what I wear every time I go out on the bike:
TCX-Competizione-S-GTX.jpg

These are actually a compromise for comfort and function compared to the full on racing boots

There is nothing wrong with those. They protect all the important areas and are shaped and tall enough to stay put in a crash. TCX make some very good boots and most less money than the "Big" brands. I'd wear those on the street.

Last edited:
TCX is my go-to. Exceptional quality and perfect fit for my little feeties. 4 years and ~100,000 km without a single issue on my current pair. I like them so much I bought another and they'll sit in the closet waiting for the current ones to finally fail.

I am used to replacing boots every year so I am a very happy boy.

Last edited:
It's nice to know there are some people in this forum that care about safety before looking cool. I have a pair of Joe Rocket boots myself along with the Joe Rocket Atomic 5.0 Jacket and gloves and I always ride with a helmet. I have seen to many wrecks without the proper riding gear to know not to go without it. My advice be aware of your surroundings at all times because things can happen in a hurry.

Yep

I'm All about safety......

gp-001s.jpg

Kids, don't try this at home. Professional stuntman on a closed course.

DSC05826.jpg

But seriously; AGATT. I'm too old for trying to look cool and broken bones and skin graphes hurt.

Last edited:
I use A* Web touring boots. They almost pass for street/office wear but has a Gore-Tex membrane, full height, toe ankle heel and shin protection and a great sole. They would be perfect is they were a bit narrower.

Ok, so if I wear some of those big kickass boots on a trip on the highway it's good common sense and not being a poseur? Hey, you guys have it all wrong. This isn't about caring about safety over coolness, motorcycle clothes are some of the coolest looking there are! Look at alpine star or BMW, there are different styles for what kind of riding you do, but they usually look really cool, and say "i'm a cool guy that rode a bike here" they aren't like road cyclists clothes.

Yeah, that shin picture is bad, that and I was watching a video blogger, M13 on youtube on how to take corners and found his later videos on being in a horrific wreck and in the hospital. Motorcycling is super dangerous. Everyone, cyclists included are warning me, and i meet a lot of people that used to ride and quit because of an accident.

I didn't end up going as far as I planned because once the bike was ready I didn't know if I would have time and i was hesitant to get back after dark, I mean, I ride in the dark, not just that far. But I did go the furthest I have gone yet and there were a lot of other motorcyclists out on the country roads in the area. I live right in the middle of all these perfect biking roads. fast and straight mixed with hills and corners. It was really fun. I am getting slightly better at taking corners, but I still slow down way more than I have to.

I will take the longer planned trip this weekend, weather permitting. Now that I feel more confident I can go that far.

On a side note, is it hard to adjust the clutch for your foot so there is more room to squeeze a big boot under it? I was trying to wear my big new protective ones, but they wouldn't fit. so i had to wear the just over the ankle ones.

I personally don't think riding motorcycles is 'super dangerous'. Yes, it is more dangerous than driving a car. Crashing is very hazardous to your health and there most certainly is an increased level of risk. This risk is much, much higher when you are new and lack the proficiency of skill and experience that comes from training and practice.

People love to chirp about how dangerous bikes are, calling them 'murdercycles' and can't resist the chance to tell you that you are going to die. Quite frankly, they can get stuffed. Motorcycling in most Western countries is a throwaway hobby and thus, people don't take it very seriously. If you don't take something seriously, you don't get good at it. If you aren't a good rider, you are more likely to have a crash.

I ride with the mindset that I alone am responsible for my safety. While there are definitely some factors you cannot prepare for or avoid, most motorcycle crashes can be circumvented by the rider. I like to classify it in two ways: crashes and accidents.

Hit some gravel in a bend and fall down? Preventable, that's a crash.

Deer jump out from behind a tree? Probably nothing you could have done, that's an accident.

Ultimately, I think it boils down to prudence, discipline, responsibility and the ability to ask 'what am I doing wrong?'.

That's just my view, there's a billion of those out there.

Last edited:
Good points. These hard plastic boots make it almost impossible to shift. I thought maybe it was a clearance issue with the clutch but if I raise it up the it is hard to downshift. It's because I can't move my foot or ankle in them. Are they supposed to break in, or is there some sort of trick?

So, I've been hiding for two weeks now and waiting for a nice day so tomorrow is supposed to be 62 and sunny so I think I will go to the coast. It is an hour and a half away, and then drive about an hour north. It's really windy, hilly and scenic. I hope I'm up to it. I really need practice on taking curves and turns, that is definitely my weak point.

Any advice on what I should bring? I don't want to forget anything. I guess I will have to take a backpack since I need to bring at the least a camera and some lenses.

This turning is the hardest part. I was watching some videos on counter steering. I will have a lot of chances to practice that tomorrow. Right now I can go kinda fast on the straights and grandma slow thought the turns. I don't want to be that guy though. So that's what I do? I push forward with the hand I want to turn that direction and then lean with the bike? I was not doing the hand part, but leaning my body when I wanted to turn.

I hope my throttle hand doesn't get too tired. I haven't gone so far yet. Really just around town, and twice to the next town out. Not too far. Wish me luck.

In general, it's preferable not to put hard objects on a backpack. If you fall, it could really hurt you, so if you have a backpack, put the soft stuff in it, and put the hard stuff in a rear trunk (like a Givi) or paniers.

I have found a way to secure my backpack to the passenger seat with two bungee ropes, the unique FZ1's passenger handles allow you to do this:
backpack.jpg

I do that when I carry relatively heavy or hard stuff, or if I am going for a longer ride and I want to be comfortable.

Counter steering is an often (wrongly) debated topic on the motorcycle interwebs. There's no debate, it is the only way to steer a motorcycle. What you have been doing currently is counter steering without realizing it. When you use your body weight to muscle the bike into a turn, you are using counter steering.

This is absolutely 100% correct. It is funny (or irritating) that so many people talk about it as "another way to turn on a bike" as if there were more than one way. I guess if the bike is on a trailer, you do not need to countersteer but that's about it :)

Back