Ignition locked to an ecu

fz1uk

Hi guys,
I've got a quick question regarding ignition modules. I picked up a 2008 fz1 which has turned out to be a US import that doesn't have the YISS immobiliser in the ignition. I still have my UK standard 2006 Cat D insurance write off which does have the standard immobiliser.. can I just take the top yoke + ignition barrel from that bike and put it on the 2008 import? Are the immobilisers/key barrels locked to the ecu? Or will it just work switching over to the other ignition module. (I realise I'd also need to switch over the petrol cap and seat lock.)

I'm considering giving the bike back to the guy who sold it to me as he never mentioned the bike was an import and it also seems to have a non uk headlight. Costing up what it'll cost me to convert at the moment so knowing if this would work for sure would be really useful to me in deciding whether or not to keep it!

The only other thing which is quite minor is the full beam/dipped beam switch, I didn't realise the american model doesn't have the flasher switch behind the module.. does anybody know if the wiring should just work if I switch that over too from the old bike?

Don't have anything to contribute except I wish the our model had the full beam/dipped switch.

Maybe see if you can get lucky and find a wiring diagram of each model and see if there is anything available there?

Not sure about the ECU, maybe ask Ivan? He flashes both types so he probably knows what's programed on each. The Switch gear should work as its just another switch to a circuit that's already there.

Both really good ideas. Thanks guys! I'll report back to the thread in a couple of days after I've looked it up and talked to Ivan.

Hi matey
You need to swop igntion switch & ecu but you will more than likely find the us wiring loom is different & wont have the harness for the code reader on the back of ignition

Well I took the opportunity to put the UK headlight switchgear unit on the US bike and unfortunately the wiring is different in the loom and it has its own circuit for the flasher. I got around it by just wiring the flash circuit into full beam on off wire and its working as expected. I really couldn't get over how frustrating it was not to have that little flasher trigger there on the US model!

I haven't had time to call Ivan re: ignition being locked to the ecu but from what I've read on here and in other places it seems to be. I don't fancy having to play with the whole loom wiring so I'll probably just get a decent alarm fitted and not worry about the immobiliser.

Back