Idle adjuster came unthreaded...

oops, Realized I posted my first thread in the mods forum. ugh, sorry, frustrated and not really paying attention... So here's my mechanical issue...

And it's a really frustrating/annoying one. And all my fault too... I started the bike up at work today, after i'd notched down the choke to just about 1/2 way, i got distracted talking to a coworker. took off, and at the light, the revs were high. Instead of going 'oh shit, the choke is still cracked, I turned down the idle adjust screw. well, it's still high, so i'm dicking around with it, pull in to get something to eat at a place nearby, then when I leave, go 'what the hell, it's still high' so i give it a full turn, notice the choke is on, turn it off and boom, the bike dies. Realize I've spun the adjust i try to get it back up and no luck, it's just spinning, not doing anything. So I get it home (by keeping the throttle cracked at a stop) and take the tank off to take a look and yep, the idle adjust is just hanging out under there, not threaded at all. Now how the hell do I get enough access to get that thing back in there. No manual and I can't find any documentation online on how to get the airbox assembly off, nor do I really want to. But it's looking like i'm gonna have to if I want this thing back in there.

What a pain in the ass!

Yeah, I'm gonna take the carbs off tomorrow I think. I haven't had a chance to really look at them, I just bought the bike 3 weeks ago, so i'll be able to inspect all the vacuum lines and what not, maybe put some new plugs in too. So it's not a disaster, just really frustrating. On my suzuki, it wouldn't let you thread it all the way out, it didn't have threads at the top of the adjuster pin, and it wouldn't fit through the housing it fed through. But oh well, as it goes.

Yeah, I'm gonna take the carbs off tomorrow I think. I haven't had a chance to really look at them, I just bought the bike 3 weeks ago, so i'll be able to inspect all the vacuum lines and what not, maybe put some new plugs in too. So it's not a disaster, just really frustrating. On my suzuki, it wouldn't let you thread it all the way out, it didn't have threads at the top of the adjuster pin, and it wouldn't fit through the housing it fed through. But oh well, as it goes.

Well I don't have any experience with the Gen I idle adjuster, but based on other Yamaha's I've worked on it's easy enough to "fix". I'm just not sure if you can see where it's supposed to thread into w/o removing the carbs. Based on the parts diagram it looks like it threads from the bottom of the throttle cable attachment point.

Well finally got time to work on the bike and it ended up not being as big a PITA as I first thought. Just took the starter off, then I was able to get it threaded back in. Took about an hour all told. Phew. So glad the steed is back in running order!

Back