i want to raise my handlebars any suggestions

hello ive had my 2009 fz1 since may and put 4200 miles on it i would like to sit more uprite i want to raise the handle bars up 2" and put a set of ricky carmichal cr bars on it has anyone raised thier bars and would i need anything else besides brakelines? also how would this affect handeling?

thank
Lonney

hello ive had my 2009 fz1 since may and put 4200 miles on it i would like to sit more uprite i want to raise the handle bars up 2" and put a set of ricky carmichal cr bars on it has anyone raised thier bars and would i need anything else besides brakelines? also how would this affect handeling?
thank
Lonney

the more comfortable your on the bike the better it will handle...IMO.
I have a gen1 and went up 1 with a fatty adapter and almost 2 more with some Magura fatty bars with a super bike sweep. I then went 1 back by rotating the oem risers.
Perfect for my short arms, and I'm still in a forward riding position.
I have a set of ProTaper Carmichael aluminum bars that I used for a couple months, they have about a 1 1/2 inch rise and very slight sweep...still too low for me, and too wide....but they are made to cut.

I put a set of FZ6 bars on. They have the fittings already on them for the stock bar ends and have holes drilled for the switches though only one of them lines up and I don't remember which one. The front brake lines did reach if you didn't use the bolted mount on the lower triple tree but it doesn't look sano so I put on a braided steel set. You'll have to go under the tank and reroute the clutch cable and loosen up the wire looms for the switches giving them a sraighter shot to the bars. The FZ6 bars have some rise and are narrower than the drag bar style the stock bars. I'm 6'2" and the bars feel very natural. I also modified the brackets and lowered my footpegs almost 3" giving me lots more legroom. The bike also got a Yamaha Gel seat and a National Cycle tall sheild making it much more comfortable for longer distance riding.

Last edited:
I'm using FZ8 Bars on stock risers but you'll need the FZ8 Bar ends also and 2" longer brake lines. All the other lines/wires you can sneak some extra from out under the tank. The holes don't line up but I ground off the locating pins. Its not a bad idea that if you do happen to put it down (Not planing or wishing to) the controls can rotate rather than breaking. Old dirt bike thing. Post a wanted ad on the FZ8 forum. You might get some cheap?

Last edited:
Is that photshoped? Looks like the std bars are still on it. If not look how tight the throttle cable is.

It looks photochopped. The throttle cable disappears at the wind screen. Also the chair/backrest or whatever the eff that thing on the back is doesn't seem right either. But still worth a laugh for a quick internet search.

I'm using FZ8 Bars on stock risers but you'll need the FZ8 Bar ends also and 2" longer brake lines. All the other lines/wires you can sneak some extra from out under the tank. The holes don't line up but I ground off the locating pins. Its not a bad idea that if you do happen to put it down (Not planing or wishing to) the controls can rotate rather than breaking. Old dirt bike thing. Post a wanted ad on the FZ8 forum. You might get some cheap?

yeah i always loosen up my clutch and brake levers so in case of fall they will move instead of braking thats a great idea old school dirt trick

I have wanted to raise my bars about 2" myself since I got the bike in 08, but when I really looked at the situation, it was going to require new cables all around and I just didn't want to put that much into it so I just got used to the stock setup. One thing I insist on for myself is keeping the routing of the various lines and cables stock because they are routed to avoid binding and interfering with other elements of the bike like elecronics and electronic wiring. Some riders have made do by rerouting some of the cables and lines but if there is a failure and it can be traced to the reroute, who do you think is going to be stuck with that bill? You have to be very careful when doing that.

Last edited:
I use the 2" Rox Risers and only had to bend the brake fitting tab (under the triple clamps) a little. All other controls work OK.

Cheers,

MrHix

At 5'6", I found the stock bar height/position to be annoying. I lowered my bars and while I liked it for aggressive riding, it was not comfortable when riding 2-up. So, I purchased a set of Convertibars used from a forum member and now I am happy with the setup. I Like being able to reposition the bars and in a minute or 2, I can be ready to tour or rip up the twisties.

Another expensive option is Thar bars. Check them out. The Rox riser looks like a good option.

I use stock 07 FZ6 bars. It's really no trouble getting all the stock lines and cables to work. The only very slight issue that I have is that they sweep back at a bit more of an angle and give your wrists a little more twist. Overall, a lot more comfortable on long rides.

picture.php

phil_rc_1-albums-ebay-cowl-greece-picture3022-09-fz1-cowl-012.jpg

I removed the risers from the previous owner, the Fz1 is anyway very upright and the riser give an awkward position. Even on my long 600 miles day trips or my 2 week bike vacations I never wanted risers.
However, it depends what you like, personally I think the Fz1 could use lower bars to help with better control in the twisties, i mean a better feeling for the front wheel.

The risers which were mounted on the bike were 1" or maybe a bit more and you could adjust them in the position. The standard cables worked with them. If you want them 30$ shipped.

reasons im rising bars

im tall with short legs,some of my last disc in my spine is missing so the straighter i can get my back the more i can use my legs for shock absorbers and the longer i can ride,i like the bend of stock bars so for now i can just raise keep all stock levers and bar ends, needed new brake fluid and speedbleeders,if i dont like it i can lower it back or use a smaller riser,
ITS 28f DEGREES OUT IM LOOSING MY MIND :wilynily:

thanks for the help
Lonney

Back