I Thought I Would Run Out of Gas

WABBMW

I rode my 2008 FZ1 this weekend with a group through the Sam Houston National Forrest area. I started with a full tank. The group stopped for gas on two different occasions, but I still had fuel bars showing on my gauge, so did not get gas. We kept riding, and my low fuel bar began to flash, but I wasn't worried, since I thought we were about to stop for lunch within a few miles. Well I thought wrong. Finally pulled in and the "F-trip" showed 32.0 miles. Yikes!

I had never gone that far on a tank - 174.0 miles. Filled up and it took 4.22 gallons. This calculates to 41.2 MPG. Wouldn't want to try that again, but was amazed.

For a Gen II, I have always gotten good mileage, but what I cannot understand - is why my gas mileage has been better when riding spirited between 60 to triple digit speeds trough curvey roads, than it is when riding straight down the highway at a steady speed of perhaps 75 MPH. Does the stock fuel cutoff actually shut off the fuel upon deceleration? Doing twisties - some of the time is spent off the throttle before a curve. Has anyone else experienced this?

This actually just happened to me a few days ago, road around a loop with over half a tank left, made it about 5/8s of the way finished and my bars dropped quick and i was flashing the last one for at least half an hour trying to find a fuel station between 50-60 mph, i can't remember what my f trip showed but it was about 27 miles.

What does the F Trip mean anyways? And why does it count up instead of down?

I'd much rather it count down from how many miles you have left like I have seen on some cars, I was scared I was going to be stuck out in the middle of no where without service haha...

I cut it close yesterday as well. Set off with the fuel warning light on and knew there was no fuel stop for a good 60km. Made it to the gas station and put 16.993L into the 17L tank

I cut it close yesterday as well. Set off with the fuel warning light on and knew there was no fuel stop for a good 60km. Made it to the gas station and put 16.993L into the 17L tank

What did your total KM end up being on that tank? I'm curious about how far I can (theoretically) go.

what year did they start doing the "F trip"?
have a 2004 and never have let it get that low...but no need to as towns are not that far apart in this part of the world.

but some places i might go could be interesting.

:lurking:

You went to the forest and did not invite me? :-(

I usually have about 1.4 gallons left when the fuel gauge starts flashibg.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

what year did they start doing the "F trip"?
have a 2004 and never have let it get that low...but no need to as towns are not that far apart in this part of the world.

but some places i might go could be interesting.

:lurking:

The F-trip is a Gen II "feature" ;)

Post #12 - Sorry Brad. I was an invited guest of the group, and everything materialized late Friday night for an early Saturday morning start. I 'll call next time.

With all the talk about the mod of adding an FCE or fuel cut ELIMINATOR to reduce the throttle snatch, I am still curious about how the stock FUEL CUTOFF functions on a Gen. II - FZ1. My old BMW car would completely shut off fuel flow upon deceleration any time the throttle was closed above about 2,000 RPM. Then when the RPM got down to about 1,200, the fuel would come back on. Used no fuel while coasting down a long hill.

I am still trying to understand how my gas mileage could be better when riding agressively through curvey roads, speeding up and slowing down, than doing a straight highway run at a steady speed. This has happened several times. Does anybody know exactly how the stock fuel cut system works?

Post #12 - Sorry Brad. I was an invited guest of the group, and everything materialized late Friday night for an early Saturday morning start. I 'll call next time.

With all the talk about the mod of adding an FCE or fuel cut ELIMINATOR to reduce the throttle snatch, I am still curious about how the stock FUEL CUTOFF functions on a Gen. II - FZ1. My old BMW car would completely shut off fuel flow upon deceleration any time the throttle was closed above about 2,000 RPM. Then when the RPM got down to about 1,200, the fuel would come back on. Used no fuel while coasting down a long hill.

I am still trying to understand how my gas mileage could be better when riding agressively through curvey roads, speeding up and slowing down, than doing a straight highway run at a steady speed. This has happened several times. Does anybody know exactly how the stock fuel cut system works?

I`m not saying it is all of it but you are racking up more miles riding on the sides of the tires than you actually travel because of the smaller diameter

I rode my 2008 FZ1 this weekend with a group through the Sam Houston National Forrest area. I started with a full tank. The group stopped for gas on two different occasions, but I still had fuel bars showing on my gauge, so did not get gas. We kept riding, and my low fuel bar began to flash, but I wasn't worried, since I thought we were about to stop for lunch within a few miles. Well I thought wrong. Finally pulled in and the "F-trip" showed 32.0 miles. Yikes!

I had never gone that far on a tank - 174.0 miles. Filled up and it took 4.22 gallons. This calculates to 41.2 MPG. Wouldn't want to try that again, but was amazed.

For a Gen II, I have always gotten good mileage, but what I cannot understand - is why my gas mileage has been better when riding spirited between 60 to triple digit speeds trough curvey roads, than it is when riding straight down the highway at a steady speed of perhaps 75 MPH. Does the stock fuel cutoff actually shut off the fuel upon deceleration? Doing twisties - some of the time is spent off the throttle before a curve. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have a 2001 FZ1. I graduated from a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R. I was used to getting 52 - 61 mpg on a routine basis, After reading all the fuel mileage stats on this site. I settled in for an average of 42 mpg. I was out on a ride with a buddy. Started with a full tank as well. (5.5 gals for the first gen). We did some fun canyon carving for half of the day and it included some WOT and hitting a 100MPH on 2 occasions. Then some relaxed riding on the way back with some city mixed in.
I was almost home and my fuel light came on and I stopped for gas. I checked my mileage and couldn't believe it - 232 miles and it took 4.2 gals. That is roughly 55 mpg! I retraced our route on Google maps and the mileage was correct. Oh , I have a Cateye Astrale bicycle computer on my bike. It is as close to a digital speedo as I can get. I have verified its readings to 2 different GPS units. I run stock gearing 16/44 and I currently have a 190/50 on the back ( PO like the fat tire) . I will be going back to the 180/55 when the tire wears out. A K&N air filter and Delkevic 18" with mid pipe and an Ivans jet kit.

If I remember correctly the 919 has a 19L tank,I did a check on mine when the fuel light came on poured out 5L book say`s reserve 3-1/2L

Back