I think it's time to repaint the Skunk

fazer1sniper

I've allways had no fear of repainting any bike.

Untill now.
I LOVE my Skunk. The '04 has been my favorite FZ paint scheme and part of the reason I bought one. I have loved this bike for years and the love is showing. Scratches, chips, scrapes, overspray from being in the shop when working on other projects, general damage from riding gear and cargo. I use this bike like it's an SUV.
So here I am. Looking at my "daily rider" and telling myself "It looks like hell"
Do I just restore it as stock? Do I do something custom?
I have painted some FLASHY bikes, but thats for other people. I like simple and classy. And some sometimes flat finishes. I have a couple months before I park it for the winter so I have time to ponder what I want to do.
Any input?
DSCN1739.jpg

DSCN1833.jpg

Warbird2.jpg

Best looking 1st gen paint by a long shot. It would be a shame to change it.

My vote is to wet sand and buff what you have, that would take care of the overspray and small imperfections.

#2 is to pay the extra money to get the stock decals and paint it stock.

Most of the damage is in the silver. My see if the paint shop can get me a match. Only thing I may ad is some silver in the front fender.

I also have a 2004 skunk, I would say remove all the silver film/ decals this will give you a completely black bike then you can add some graphics using vinyl adhesive film, another member has a white bike with nice graphics that I think I'll make something close to its design. see photo, here is a place that sells vinyl sheets with 6 years outdoors durability.
Reflective Vinyl

I love the look of the factory Skunk. Its one of Yamis best lookers but I also have coplete faith in your eye and judgement. I'am actually curious to see what you would do with it.

Back