I think it is wrong!? but i still do it

My view of the "lane-sharing" situation here in New Zealand (others may have slightly different views):

There is a lot of discussion on local forums (KiwiBiker) about the legality of lane-sharing. While not specifically banned, the consensus seems to be that it is not legal to overtake to the left (right) of a moving vehicle while in the same lane. (Bear in mind that we drive on the left hand side of the road here - so I've added the opposite in brackets for those who drive on the right). There appears to be no real ban on overtaking to the right (left) in the same lane.

So in theory, bikes can lane-share as long as they stay on the left (right) hand side of the lane lines. In practice, this is difficult to do since most car drivers tend to drive closer to the right (left) hand side of their lanes - leaving little room for bikes. However, it does leave quite a bit of space on the right (left) hand side of the lane lines. I'm mostly referring here to lane sharing on our motorway (equivalent of a freeway).

In reality, while some people claim to have been pulled over and ticketed for lane sharing, most bikers do it quite safely without being stopped. I do it pretty much every morning and evening, but only where the traffic is congested. The safest location tends to be between the fast and second fastest lanes. I don't worry too much about which side of the lane line I travel, but most time would be spent to the right (left).

I'd pass a cop on average at least once a day and usually make a point of continuing to split while passing their car. I think as long as I'm riding sensibly, and at a reasonable speed differential, there is no reason for them to try pulling me over (not an easy task in heavy traffic). I'd normally only split up to about 60 kph (37 mph), but on occasion will go to 70 kph (43 mph). It's difficult to know, but I'd guess my speed differential would be up to about 20 kph (12 mph).

My observation is that car drivers typically don't notice a bike until they have been passed (I've observed that I don't use the rear-vision mirror much while I'm in a car in traffic). When they do, they tend to make space. Truck drivers tend to be more observant and will often make space.

I've found it quite surprising how infrequently cars change lanes (between fast and second lanes). The strange thing is how on mornings when they do, they all seem to do it together - it's like a "full moon" thing.

Bike commuting here in Auckland tends to be a bit of a seasonal thing - even though we don't get any snow, it is pretty wet during the winter and all the "soft" bikers pack it in for 6 months. But whatever time of the year, most of the bikes on the motorway would be splitting at some stage. I just wouldn't have a strong enough clutch wrist to sit in our start stop traffic for very long!

i'm from the Uk where lane splitting (or filtering as we call it) is legal, but i have ridden 1000's of miles in the States and tend to lane split there too. I don't find it any more dangerous than over here, just ride like they haven't seen you and keep your eyes open and your head focused and you'll be fine.

I don't see anything wrong with lane splitting. The main thing is to do it when you know you will be as safe as possible. You won't save any time if you get wiped out.
The main time that I do it is when all the cars in front of me are STOPPED. When it's bumper to bumper - it's harder for someone to pull out in front of me. I also don't shoot through the cars like a rocket. I don't crawl through either but I go slow enough to give me a shot at reacting to someone cutting in front of me. I have seen some guys going 50 mph. That is not the best idea.

Well, how much does a lane split usually gain?

A hell of a lot of you're stuck on the 405 in 10 MPH traffic. Last year, I covered about 25 miles on the freeway, lane splitting most of it, while the cars were parked.

I'm sure it saved more than an hour.

Yesterday, here in Florida, I-75 south was stopped for almost 30 minutes. If I could split here, I would and that 30 minute delay would have been five.

You can also get yourself to front of lines of cars at stoplights, Italian style. I think it's definitely a great option to have, but one that's not without risks.

Klurejr,

Wow, you really helped me on this one. I think I will leave the lane sharing to very minimum. Thanks for info from hand book. I'm back riding for few months already and I see that knowledge of drivers is not getting better, in fact it is getting worse. I don't want to risk my life to save few minutes every day. It ultimately up to a rider to decide on the road what is safe.

Thanks.

A hell of a lot of you're stuck on the 405 in 10 MPH traffic. Last year, I covered about 25 miles on the freeway, lane splitting most of it, while the cars were parked.

I'm sure it saved more than an hour.

Yesterday, here in Florida, I-75 south was stopped for almost 30 minutes. If I could split here, I would and that 30 minute delay would have been five.

You can also get yourself to front of lines of cars at stoplights, Italian style. I think it's definitely a great option to have, but one that's not without risks.

You got that right!
I have been stuck for hours on that highway between Miami and Ft Lauderdale. If I would have been on my bike I would have done it in a heartbeat. Lol of course, if anyone needs time to decide if its safe - you can sit for hours in that traffic and calculate your odds :D

I would imagine time saved would depend on your specific commute. Right now I only travel down to San Diego 2 days a week, it is 24 miles from my house to my office. There is an 18 mile stretch on the Freeway that has traffic every morning. In my truck that 18 mile stretch takes around 35-45 min depending on the day. On the bike it takes about 25 min when there is traffic. I can save from 10-2- min each morning, plus it is way better on my gas mileage because I keep moving at a steady pace, and the wear on my tires and brakes is less. Yes those numbers are probably small, but over the life of the bike and years of doing this the savings do add up. I agree any amount of saving is not worth it if you end up really hurt or dead, but I truly believe the chances of that on Southern California Freeways is much lower than in places where it is not legal and the populace is not used to it and might crowd the lane and cause a problem for you without knowing it. I plan to take a road trip up to Colorado next Summer with some friends, and there is no way I will lane split once i leave California, I think the danger level goes up in an area where the cagers are not used to bikes doing it.

Moral of the story, California finally has one law that is better than the rest of the country......:rmwl:

I will do that. ;-)

My buddies dad has been riding for well over 40 years here in California, and the only time he has had an off is at the track when pushing too hard. He lane splits, and just says be careful and aware of your surroundings.

I know things are different in Texas, here in California the majority of people are used to lane splitting bikes, even the CHP and Local Police and sheriff split the lanes, and I have not heard of one lane splitting related death for one of them.

It's kind of funny how people get twisted about lane splitting, sniffing about how dangerous it is. I live in Florida, where it's not legal. But I ride in California at least once a year.

And I lane split my ass off, just because I can. I envy you. I used to skydive in Elsinore a lot, but haven't been there in a while.

It makes me very nervous, because drivers here (TX) are not aware and I've seen people just open their driver's door to spit or dump a coffee. Every time I've thought about splitting (safely - when traffic is stopped) I just think of running into an opening door. (I also don't commute so I'm almost never in rush hour traffic either....)

I would find it safer to split between 1 pair of cars on the freeway.

What would be really cool would be a bike-only lane!:waiting:

Back