I have a new FZ! (after this)

Many of you might know this, but I have to post up. Just had the boots replaced connecting carbs to engine because they appeared to have tiny cracks due to age. One crack seemed to be sucking the tiniest bit of air, but they looked ok otherwise.

But the effect was astounding! That 'tiny' bit of air was likely much more than tiny under acceleration. After replacing them, my bike feels like it has a whole new engine, clutch, everything! Throttle response is smooth, clutch engagement is much more solid, idle is perfect, and launch speed is now scary-fast.

Kind of like i've been riding a moped up to today...

Seriously - check out yours. If there are any cracks, you may be surprised how much power you are losing! All I want to do now is launch my ROCKET over and over.

:stunta]:

Nicee!!! Mine has tiny cracks as well...a lot of tiny cracks. I can even feel the carbs vibrate sometimes, and I think its due to them. Where did you get the boots from?

Common problem as the bike gets a little older. You can port them to match the intake when you replace them. I think someone maybe Ivan may sell ported ones.

Just checked Ivans performance website. Hand ported intake boots are listed at $210 have no idea what the stock replacements cost.

The rubber boots are pretty thick, many visible cracks will just be superficial on the surface. Spay the boots with some starting fluid with the bike running to check for actual leaks

Last edited:
I thought about that..but I'm just going to replace them anyways. Ethyl ether is super bad for engines. At about 3000 RPMS I can physically feel the boots vibrate quite a bit. I believe stock replacements are about 25 a piece.

Also--ported may not be the best thing, as intake velocities play a role too. That smaller opening may do more good than harm.

Ported boots is the way to go if you're replacing them.

If you buy ported boots, you should have a vasectomy immediately to remove your DNA from the gene pool. Buy stock boots and port them yourself.

You can check for leaking boots with pretty much any sprayable liquid... Hell.. Use water... Any foreign fluids will change the idle... Faster if it's flammable, slower if it's not.

Small cracks can be sealed with black RTV...

That should cover everything regarding boots.

And yes.. Ported is the best thing... "matched ports" are always the correct answer.. Look at the dyno charts... This isn't something that was just discovered on this bike.. People have been doing it for years, and have the dyno charts to tell you why.

Last edited:
Back