I HATE old bikes !

When you see pics of people back in the 70's with long hair, checkered pants and sports jackets, w-i-d-e ties and worse you comment on how foolish they look, but back in those days it all seemed cool. Bikes have come a long way, but Honda 750's, 550's and 400's from the mid-70's were great machines for the times. I had a lot of fun with them but wouldn't want to really ride one now....but all restored they are a nice rememberance of the past. Anyone who has been to the Barber Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham, AL and wanders around on the top two floors and immerses themselves in machines from those decades comes away with a smile on their face. Seeing a mint CBX, CB750, BMW R90S and other machinery does something for those people old enough to have actually ridden those bikes. Younger riders wouldn't understand the draw of a machine like a mid-70's CB750.

I drove one of those merc 300 turbo diesel's all through high school. I ran red diesel from my dad's tractor tank for it, which only worked because these cars NEVER break so there was no chance I'd ever have to take it to a mechanic who would rat me out. I crashed it in the snow a couple times and all you have to do is find one in a junkyard and the body panels are an easy swap- it's damn near impossible to bend the frame, so you just put new sheet metal on and off you go.

Great first cars if you've got a teenager. Slow as fuck and never break.

Cafe it, I love my old bike.
007-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Back