I hate craigslist

NightTrain

Trying to sell my old bike.... and gotta' say trying to post on craigslist is a PITA. I should probably just go the ebay route and call it a day. It does cost some $$$ to do so, but seriously, it's so easy. Type the description, load the pics, and Bam! it shows up right away. No going back into the email, or typing in your phone number, in order to receive a text msg with a code you then have to enter in order to "verify" yourself. Or trying to find out just WTF is taking so long or where your post is. CL is lame, some may love it but I have no luck with it. Of the post's I've made in the past that did work, I got nothing but scamming trolls hitting me up.

Anybody else agree? Or have some of you just had a great time doing the CL thing? To me it is a case of you get what you pay for. Ebay is the site worth paying for.

Have you created an account on Craigslist or are you just listing without an account? I don't have to do any of the additional steps you are talking about when I list on CL. I just put in the vital info and upload a few pics and I'm done. I usually get some scammer emails here and there, but I have sold a few vehicles on CL without issue. While I do shop on Ebay pretty regularly, their fees keep going up and up and up. Between Ebay and Paypal fees I usually end up losing about 12% of the selling price of an item, but it's usually worth it for the large market you reach.

Only advantage to CL is that it's free, but I do get tired of all the scammers on there. Last year when I sold another bike on there I think the ratio of real to scammers was like 20:1...LOL!!! However, all it took was the right buyer and bike was sold right away.

I don't care of CL either. I think Cycle Trader is the way to go.

I have an account on CL but recently when I sold my son's old bicycle I had fill all this stuff out. Then I accidently deleted the confirming email and now I can can't cancel the ad. I'm hoping that after another week the ad will end itself and I stop getting asked about the ad.

Also when I was shopping for my track bike I found "good deals" that all ended up being scams.

That said I sold me FZ6 from my CL ad, but I sold my 1125R from my Cycle Trader ad. For $30.00 CT is a very good deal; nation wide reach and a small one time fee.

I've learned the hard way how to use CL. Make yourself an account and when you post DO NOT leave an email address as a form of contact. Use a cell number. You have the option not to show an email address or any other form of electronic mail before you post. That cuts out most all of the scammers trying to work their magic. The first two times I used it I had a nightmare of a time. The third time I figured it out and it's been smooth sailing since then. I have sold at least 4 more items on CL including my son's Ninja which sold in one day! Try it without an email contact and only use a phone number.

I've learned the hard way how to use CL. Make yourself an account and when you post DO NOT leave an email address as a form of contact. Use a cell number. You have the option not to show an email address or any other form of electronic mail before you post. That cuts out most all of the scammers trying to work their magic. The first two times I used it I had a nightmare of a time. The third time I figured it out and it's been smooth sailing since then. I have sold at least 4 more items on CL including my son's Ninja which sold in one day! Try it without an email contact and only use a phone number.

Good tip there Billy. And whatever you do please do not display your real email address!!! You'll be inundated with SPAM within days. Happened to someone I know...lol.

Good tip there Billy. And whatever you do please do not display your real email address!!! You'll be inundated with SPAM within days. Happened to someone I know...lol.

+2. I always choose the option to not display my email address and I've never had a serious spam problem. The thing to remember when shopping CL is that if it seems too good to be true, it's probably a scam. If you see a practically new sportbike that retails for $10k listed at $2k... It's a scam!

I haven't tried for a long time to post in CL, until last night. It basically got me frustrated, was a real hassle. The problem I'm having at the moment is that I have the link in my email to post/edit/delete... so I follow that to the posting and everything shows up. But when I try to open CL and just do a random search for my bike using the key word(s) I put in the listing, I can't seem to find the posting. It was listed as such:

baltimore craigslist > for sale / wanted > motorcycles/scooters

But I still don't see it if I just so a random search :confused0024:

Maybe I am just brain-farting and doing something wrong but I figured it would show ny now.

A follow up on this....

The current rules for posting in the for sale sections of a motorized vehicle require an account- one that is verified by a phone# linked to said account. No getting around it.

So.... I post on CL, it shows in my email but not on the actual CL pages, what gives? Well, apparantly what happens is CL will "GHOST" certain users, and instead of a notice, your post is made but never shown. How does this happen? Some troll decides to FLAG one of your previous post's and that's it, your done.

I tried to start a new account, but ofcourse it requires a phone#, that a code is sent to via txt, that you must enter when you are trying to sell something. I tried putting in my cell # and I'm given the warning that the number is attached to another account.... which means a big "no-go"

If I was flagged, I was never alerted.... anybody can do it for any reason and your never given an alert or warning. You become ghosted. I've never posted anything obscene- I simply post that I don't need scammers or low-ballers. So someone decided to flag me I guess because of this. So what I had to do was start the new account, but use my friends cell phone #, which he was nice enough to let me use. CL wont answer my inquiry and if you look into the forums/google the topic, there are ALOT of people that have gone through this with no solution.

So... I stand by my title to this thread. Anybody there can play the "internet-cop" and ruin it for you :confused0024:. Blah....

Btw... with the other phone# used, it went right up - http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/2036654951.html

Let your friends know there is a cheap, fun, hooligan machine waiting.

Last edited:
Back