I don't think this is normal

silentg

ok so, noticed today that the bite point on the front brake keeps moving.
for instance, i was going down a hill at low speed as i was in traffic. i was using the front brake to stay at a slow pace and had the biting point but as i was going further down the hill the biting point got longer. lemme explain, i mean the lever at its biting point to where the brake worked but after a second or 2 i had more freeplay so the lever kept moving in the further i went down the hill. but if i let off the brake lever the biting point started from far out again and so on.

this is highly weird as far as im aware. never head that happen before and never heard of this instance.

i have a gen2 ABS uk model with HEL braided lines which have been on for about 2 years so shouldn't have anything to do with those per se. the pads look fine, the brake fluid is fine so i dunno wtf is going on.

im fairly sure there is some explanation for it or an idea what is causing this.
just crapping myself if it does the same and fails in an emergency situation.

:confused: IDEAS??

Last edited:
Have you tried bleeding the system? Maybe you've got an air bubble
hi, no i haven't bled them, as its an ABS there are lots of lines and is not something i am going to attempt. it took my mechanis a while to bleed them when they were put on so no way am i doing it. i will take her to the bike shop tomorrow
thanks for the reply

Could be the M/C needs a rebuild. A leaky caliper would leak fluid. Or there is a problem with the abs pump. It is hard to say. Best have it serviced asap;)

sounds like brake fade . as the brake heats up after prolonged use the lever starts to fade as you described , usually caused by overheating ,,, brake fluid change normally cures it

MASTER.jpgView attachment 21875I’d guess master cylinder seal.

Looking at the diagram attached, if the primary seal (Green circle) is ok it won’t leak fluid out the unit, but if the piston seal (Red circle) is worn or split the fluid will bypass this seal and the lever will sink or bite point as you put it will move.

Easy to check, when stopped just give the brake lever a good hard squeeze and hold it, if you feel the lever sinking at all, then you’re getting bypass on the seal.

If it doesn’t sink maybe does just needs a good bleed?

Can’t comment on the ABS though, mine don’t have it!

Last edited:
Back