I didn’t know that I bought a Harley

soccerguy83

I just got the new PR2 on the front and yesterday evening put the wheel back on and took her for a short test spin. It had a slight odor to it, but I dismissed it as being the release agent heating up. This morning riding into work I noticed the same smell. Went home on lunch and it was getting stronger and smelled of oil. When I got under the bike I found the bottom of the oil pan covered in oil. I looked all around the pan and it didn’t appear that it was leaking from above the pan or from the seal for that matter. There was a high concentration around the sensor as depicted in the picture.

Is there any other possible place the oil could be coming from, aside from the sensor or the oil drain? Any clue if there is a reason it would randomly start leaking oil? I’m assuming a gasket has gone, but it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense as nothing was done to that sensor while the wheel was being replaced.

Instead of riding this Sat. looks like I will be wrenching.

Thanks in advance!

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Its hard to tell but it looks like there is a crack at the small wall thats near the drain plug. Where the wall meets the bottom of oil pan ? Loose oil filter or bad o ring on filter? Good luck soccer dude

Best thing to do is to degrease the entire bottom really well and dry. Then sit and wait a while to see where it's emanating from. With all that oily residue, there's no telling where it's starting from.

Lonney, hmm will have to look at that closer, hard to tell from my quick camera phone pic. Wanted to get it on the board as soon as I could and the engine was pretty hot still from the ride home.

Billy, Thanks for the input, I agree it's a mess under there at the moment! I will be fixing that as well haha. Simple Green, Break Cleaner, WD40? What do yall find best for cleaning oil?

While I'm at the question game, what grease is everyone using for their axles?

Lonney, hmm will have to look at that closer, hard to tell from my quick camera phone pic. Wanted to get it on the board as soon as I could and the engine was pretty hot still from the ride home.

Billy, Thanks for the input, I agree it's a mess under there at the moment! I will be fixing that as well haha. Simple Green, Break Cleaner, WD40? What do yall find best for cleaning oil?

While I'm at the question game, what grease is everyone using for their axles?

Simple Green will do just fine. This way once everything is nice and shiny under there you can then start the boring process of watching oil drip! Take another snapshot so we can see. Good luck. I hope it's something simple.

Oil was last changed by PO, was my intention to change it soon and looks like I will be doing that!

Took it on a four hour ride stopping to check often, didn't notice anything until I got home. Found oil starting on the cleaned pan from the rear where it's indented for the exhaust. Can see the seal for the pan at that point and there isn't oil above it. Really hard to see that area with the exhaust, center stand, and frame in the way. Looks like I will be pulling the exhaust off tomorrow to get a better look. I'm assuming with out looking it up that there are crush washers at the headers. I there one at the slip on as well?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408228835.008355.jpg

Oil was last changed by PO, was my intention to change it soon and looks like I will be doing that!

Took it on a four hour ride stopping to check often, didn't notice anything until I got home. Found oil starting on the cleaned pan from the rear where it's indented for the exhaust. Can see the seal for the pan at that point and there isn't oil above it. Really hard to see that area with the exhaust, center stand, and frame in the way. Looks like I will be pulling the exhaust off tomorrow to get a better look. I'm assuming with out looking it up that there are crush washers at the headers. I there one at the slip on as well?

View attachment 21214

There is not a crush gasket at the slip on its like a lead(?) lined wire mesh. You can likely reuse the copper crush gaskets once.

Ok I think I found the culprit. It looks as though I'm missing a bolt in the oil pan. Thing is I can't find it mentioned anywhere on parts diagrams nor in the service manual, so now I need y'all's help. What part number am I looking for or what are the bolts specs to get one from the hardware store? Is it even a bolt or is it a plug or something else? The hole is in the bottom of the pan in the center, 3/4 the way to the rear. It's right where the stock headers go from 4 to 1. Attached are a couple of pics. Thanks in advance for the help guys. Also still trying to get the o2 sensor out, man that thing is put on tight! Any clue what size nut that is?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408286643.398952.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408286655.662915.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I think I found the culprit. It looks as though I'm missing a bolt in the oil pan. Thing is I can't find it mentioned anywhere on parts diagrams nor in the service manual, so now I need y'all's help. What part number am I looking for or what are the bolts specs to get one from the hardware store? Is it even a bolt or is it a plug or something else? The hole is in the bottom of the pan in the center, 3/4 the way to the rear. It's right where the stock headers go from 4 to 1. Attached are a couple of pics. Thanks in advance for the help guys. Also still trying to get the o2 sensor out, man that thing is put on tight! Any clue what size nut that is?
View attachment 21215View attachment 21216

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure on the size but your local auto parts store should have O2 sensor wrenches in stock. They are always a PITA to get out because of the heat cycles.

Didn't even know they made special sockets for O2 sensors, thanks for the heads up! It measured right at 7/8" which I found odd being on a metric, but it might just be the standard size.

Diesel, I can do that, but as stated, I'm not even sure if it's supposed to be a bolt or not.

I would be giving the whole area a better clean ,then checking, are you sure it`s not just oil/chain lube from your front sprocket my bike get `s oil from the sprocket in this area, which builds up over time. I would also check the radiator hose connection there as I noticed lighter colour marking on the exhaust that's looks like burnt coolant? may just be dirt

Back