I did it so you don't have to...

I'm no physicist, so I can't explain exactly how my rear wheel throws water forward at 90mph. (On a straight abandoned back road, before the nannies scold me) My backpack got the worst of it, but no windshield or fairing to hide behind made it miserable on both sides. I make a point of not riding in the rain, and this affirms my belief for sure. Every once in a while you get caught and need to be able to adapt, but I prefer to avoid it altogether. Also, a bike this powerful is a real handful in the wet. Painted lines are EXTRA slick. Throttle modulation is a very important skill. I'll stick to fair weather riding when I can.

Also, a bike this powerful is a real handful in the wet. Painted lines are EXTRA slick. Throttle modulation is a very important skill. I'll stick to fair weather riding when I can.

this is why I REALLY hope Yamaha get's it together and throws ABS/traction control on the FZ1, even if it's just an option and not standard....

and yes... I left the stock fender on my 6R for a reason.... living on a gravel lane sucks when it's wet :eyebrow:

I don't like the look of the rear fender. I don't intend to ride in the rain. But, I'm not removing the rear fender. I got caught in a sprinkle the other day with no option and even when I wan't in the rain, the roads were wet. I have PR3's, a rear fender and a sport touring windshield for just such an occasion. :rmwl:

Gotta Have Some Sort of Fender

If you've ever thought about riding a stripped down naked bike with no rear fender in the rain, don't bother. It sucks.
I'm new to the forum, but have been riding for about thirty years and (eventually) turn everything I ride, whether crashed or not, into a street fighter. My last bike (before the FZ1 I just bought) was an SV650. I built a solo seat tail, but after getting tired of all manner of debris and liquids splashing back up at me, I built this little fiberglass "floating fender" that I incorporated into a chain guard. It works great, so when I eventually transform my FZ1, I'll strip off all the plastic and turn it into what I did with my R1 (last pic) -- but include this oh-so-necessary custom fender.

DSCF1850.jpg

DSCF1845_2.jpg

R11.jpg

I have an Evotech FE kit, I ride rain or shine (when I can ride!) and I do not have issues with the muddy skunk line. Of course, I don't/wouldn't do 90+ in the rain either. ;)

Very cool bikes, and a great idea. Ever think of trying to market it? I bet it would sell.
Every model of bike is different, so only some big operation could make these and make any money out of it. Besides, I'm still so amateurish at mold making, that I've had to break nearly every single one I've made just to free the part.

Nary a Drop from the Front

Riding without a front fender is even worse. Can't see a flipping thing and it tastes terrible.
Nope. Not on the SV -- and I went through plenty of puddles. Never got a drop on me. Maybe because of the large radiator. The back? Without the fender? Drenched.

Nope. Not on the SV -- and I went through plenty of puddles. Never got a drop on me. Maybe because of the large radiator. The back? Without the fender? Drenched.

My YZF600 streetfighter threw off a nasty spray of water up in front of the bike and I'd pretty much have to ride right into it.

Back