I did it guys!! But now my 2001 fz1 won't start....need help!!

This is Ringo....I'm the guy who bought a 2001 FZ1 as my first bike.

I completed my MSF class last weekend and decided to take my FZ1 out for a first ride around the neighborhood. I did pretty well since it was at night and not much car on the street.

However, when I got home and park on my drive way which was at a slight slope....I accidentally, gently laid down the bike on the left side for about 3 min. max....I saw a medium puddle of gasoline leaked (not sure from where). I got my room mate to help me lift the bike up. The bike only have minor scratches on the carburetor cap and at the bottom of the frame which is hardly noticeable.

After that it wouldn't start. The bike has been standing up for the last hour, but still wouldn't start. Do you know what that could be? Is there some type of sensor or switch that I need to reset?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Ringo

I don't own one - but am pretty sure there is a tip-over switch - and needs to be reset. Also a centerstand switch possible. A gen 1 owner will come along and help you out. Or you could check out youtube - almost everything is there.
Sorry about your the tip-over.

I'm certain it's probably the tip-over sensor switch for sure but where it is, I'm not really sure. I have the service manual at home which I could check out at 5:30pm today if nobody chimes in first.

I'm certain it's probably the tip-over sensor switch for sure but where it is, I'm not really sure. I have the service manual at home which I could check out at 5:30pm today if nobody chimes in first.

I was sitting on the bike with both feet straddle on the ground with the side stanrd UP when it started leaning and laid down.

I was sitting on the bike with both feet straddle on the ground with the side stanrd UP when it started leaning and laid down.

GOOD NEWS!!! This morning before going to work, I attempted to start the bike again...no change. I then turn on the Choke lever and start the engine...again no change. Finally I leave choke on...and give it a little gas while pressing the START button at the same time...AND GOT THE BIKE STARTED. After about one minute..it started to rev kind of high so I turn the choke lever to off position.

I let the engine warm about 5 min. then turn it off....NOW I CAN START THE ENGINE EVERYTIME. Let hope the performance is not affected by this event...I will find out tonight when I take it out for more practice.

Thanks for your help guys!! GREAT FORUMS.

bikes can be a little tricky to start until you get used to them, I own 4 bikes and everyone needs to be started a little different [both cold and hot]. You also most likely lost fuel out of the carbs bowls which would not help. I`ve laid my bike down twice Gen 2, which after a little slow in starting fired up without needing to reset anything, your bike will be fine

Last edited:
Glad you got it started firstly. Secondly the gen1, or at least mine is always a bit finicky when it comes to starting up. It's a more predictable start up when cold, just hit the choke and she fires right up. When she is warmed up sometimes she will fire right up without any throttle input and sometimes not so a little coaxing is needed, kinda like the woman maybe? Point being you will become familiar with your moto over time and will be able to turn her on a bit more easily in the near future:)

bikes can be a little tricky to start until you get used to them, I own 4 bikes and everyone needs to be started a little different [both cold and hot]. You also most likely lost fuel out of the carbs bowls which would not help. I`ve laid my bike down twice Gen 2, which after a little slow in starting fired up without needing to reset anything, your bike will be fine

Hi fisherman322. Thanks for the info. Just discovered my clutch lever is bent outward and making it hard to reach since I have medium hand. I need to replace it....tried to look for a video on youtube, but none for FZ1 specific. Was going to take it to the shop to get it replace, but not good enough to get there on my bike yet. :)

Glad you got it started firstly. Secondly the gen1, or at least mine is always a bit finicky when it comes to starting up. It's a more predictable start up when cold, just hit the choke and she fires right up. When she is warmed up sometimes she will fire right up without any throttle input and sometimes not so a little coaxing is needed, kinda like the woman maybe? Point being you will become familiar with your moto over time and will be able to turn her on a bit more easily in the near future:)

What's up Returnrider!! Glad to see someone have a sense of humor in this forum.

Most times you can just bend them back [sometimes they break] in shape, fairly simple job to replace most bikes will be similar, you might also want to look at a set of [clutch/brake] aftermarket adjustable ones

Last edited:
Go on Ebay and search the seller "the2Wheels". Buy his leavers. I've had about 4 sets on various bikes and they perform well plus they're cheap but not cheaply made.

You are not going to believed this.....Just now (11:00 PM PST) I decided to take it out for another practice session and test out the bike since it tip over last night....I got it out of the garage and now it wouldn't start again. I tried using the choke...gave it some gas, but nothing work.

Everytime I turn the ignition key to on...I can hear the battery making some loud noises. This morning I started it many time without issue.

I think I will take a day off of work and have a mechanic come take a look at it. Man.....hope this doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

You are not going to believed this.....Just now (11:00 PM PST) I decided to take it out for another practice session and test out the bike since it tip over last night....I got it out of the garage and now it wouldn't start again. I tried using the choke...gave it some gas, but nothing work.

Everytime I turn the ignition key to on...I can hear the battery making some loud noises. This morning I started it many time without issue.

I think I will take a day off of work and have a mechanic come take a look at it. Man.....hope this doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

When you turn the key on your hearing your fuel pump prime and fill with fuel. That is the clicking sounds that you are hearing. If you push the starter button and hear clicks then it sounds to me like your battery has low-voltage and needs a charge. You can try hooking it up to a car battery but Do Not have the car running when you jump the bike. As for the tip over with the carbs all you have to do is crack the throttle open when you hit the start button. This bike is way to easy to work on. Never pay someone to do what you can do yourself with ease. Take the money you were going to spend on a mechanic and buy some tools then do some searching on this site, the yamahafz1oa.com site and YouTube on how to make any necessary repairs that you need and do not be scared it is easy! Good luck

Last edited:
Back