How to the remove stock exhaust to repaint it?

I need to repaint my stock exhaust, to take off the exhaust do I need to do the following?

1. remove the screws for the end piece on the exhaust, remove that piece
2. remove the heat shield
3. slide out the exhaust

Or is there more to it?

I bought some VHT (very high temp paint like 1200F or something and some sandpaper)

Last edited:
remove

I will be doing the exhaust removal very soon to put on a new MIVV.

You forgot the bolt attaching the can to the hanger and first you have to remove the lower exup cable cover and the cables, as they are attached.

Check out Copperdawg's video tutorial about exhaust. It is very good.
I'll attach the link in a minute.

http://www.copperdawg.com/Gallery.htm

Last edited:
I think this is the link you mentioned, thanks.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om3ZvUqKnfQ&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - FZ1 Video Tutorials - Exhaust[/ame]

Bingo

That's the one ! Shows it better than I can tell it. Besides I have not yet done it, waiting for the weather, my garage heater can't yet keep up with the cold coming in. Soon. :waiting:
Bonus is that the can he puts on is the same as the one I have ready for install, but I can't figure out why his mid-pipe is so different. It doesn't have the weird "coke cans" on it !

Last edited:
Tried some steel wool on the exhaust

Before pulling off the exhaust I thought I would try using steel wool to see if that would make the exhaust look better. I lightly used the steel wool on the affected areas and then wiped it off. Afterwards I used some car wax/polish to shine it up. I have to say I am pretty pleased with the results, pleased enough that I don't think I will pull it off and sand and repaint it. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

What happened to your can? Did something melt onto it? Wax on it will burn and turn all sorts of nasty colors. You're better off to remove and paint it with some high-temp spray after a good smoothing with steel wool. ;)

What happened to your can? Did something melt onto it? Wax on it will burn and turn all sorts of nasty colors. You're better off to remove and paint it with some high-temp spray after a good smoothing with steel wool. ;)
The previous owner put a cover on the bike when the exhaust was still warm. When he took the cover off it removed a little of the paint (see my picture at the start of the thread). If the wax responds like you suggest, I will need to take it off and paint it. For now I will see how it goes. It was warm enough to ride for a bit today but supposed to get cooler tomorrow, lets hope the forecast is wrong and its about 10 degrees warmer than it says right now.

The previous owner put a cover on the bike when the exhaust was still warm. When he took the cover off it removed a little of the paint (see my picture at the start of the thread). If the wax responds like you suggest, I will need to take it off and paint it. For now I will see how it goes. It was warm enough to ride for a bit today but supposed to get cooler tomorrow, lets hope the forecast is wrong and its about 10 degrees warmer than it says right now.

I noticed something about the exhaust in the picture but just thought it was dirt. I can see why you would want that off.

two pics after the steel wool and car wax

One picture is shown with a flash, you can see the scratches that the steel wool created. The other picture has no flash and shows what the casual observer would notice, looks ok to me at this point, we will see what happens to it after the exhaust gets warm when after being ridden for a while.

I have seen carbon fiber exhausts but did not know you could get your existing exhaust wrapped. Any idea what kind of shop would do that kind of work?

You have one of the best chances where you live. I'd ask these guys first and since it is a small piece, they might be able to do it very quick and cheap.

GT Racing - Porsche fiberglass parts. Manufacturer of quality lightweight body panels.

GT RACING
3407 N. Prospect St.
Colorado Springs, CO 80907 USA

If you do get it done, tell them there "could" be others. ;)

should be fine

One picture is shown with a flash, you can see the scratches that the steel wool created. The other picture has no flash and shows what the casual observer would notice, looks ok to me at this point, we will see what happens to it after the exhaust gets warm when after being ridden for a while.

It should be fine until you are ready to lighten the load and change the can. I have used Mothers FX detail wax on mine since I bought it and have not had any issues with the heat interacting with the wax. It is a synthetic silicone based product which usually have no issues with heat. :flash:

Will probably try some fine coarseness of steel wool

I am going to try finding some less coarse steel wool and will go over the exhaust again and see if some of the scratching the steel wool that I used comes out.

Called checker auto and they have two different packages of steel wool, one is a mixed coarse, medium and fine, then they have another bag of 000 which I believe is just the fine stuff. I think I will get the mixed bag since, I only need a little bit of the fine and I can use the other varieties for other things.

Last edited:
Back