How to price my bike

ecruz

I'm going to be selling my Gen II and have been looking around at prices. There seems to be a very WIDE range. I was doing my research on CycleTrader.com. For bikes that are the same year as mine, with similar miles and unmodded (like mine), there's about a $3000 range in asking price! That seems huge, considering MSRP is about $10k. There's wasn't that kind of variance when I bought a $20k used car 6 months ago.

Any thoughts on how to come up with a reasonable price?

Thanks

The price is dictated by the market and your bike. The varience in price can be due to the bike (after market goodies) and the urgency of the owner to sell.

I watch the prices of the bikes and wonder what people are thinking when they ask for what they want... then I just remind myself ... it doesn't hurt to ask.

A "no duh" suggestion for you would be to have a price that you "want" to get, and then a price that you will "take." If you have those two numbers if you get anywhere between the two you will be happy.

Good luck!

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay. What would you be willing to pay for your FZ1 if you were buying it from somebody else based on what you know about FZ1s in general? I price my vehicles to sell. I want the 1st peson to look at to take it home so I'm done with selling ASAP.

It depends on the market value and general conditions of the bike.I think due to increased supply and low demand trend in the market the selling price will not be so high.I cannot provide you any exact idea.

Well if you post up some more details about the bike we may be able to give you a better idea of what to ask for it.

2009 Granite Gray, purchased new in April 2011. Absolutely perfect, not a scratch on it. 7500 miles. Only "mods" are adjustable levers (I have the originals), frame sliders, highway pegs, sport touring windscreen (I have the original) and Givi tail & side cases with the quick release mounts. Always garaged, never dropped, battery tender when not ridden for more than a week or two.

I saw prices on cycletrader for 2009's from about $5500 to $8500. I saw used 2010's over $9000. I realize that doesn't mean they're going to get that much.

I'd like to list mine at a fair price, so that it will sell fairly quickly and so I don't leave too much money on the table.

Thanks

Well as most know it's always best to sell the aftermarket parts separately from the bike so returning it to stock is usually best. I don't think any of your mods are that hard to reverse, but I don't see why someone wouldn't want items such as sliders already on the bike. The Givi's would probably sell on their own rather quickly, but you could first try advertizing the bike as it is (and you may not have the time to remove items anyway).

I'm not sure what the market is like in your area right now, but riding season has just begun so now it's the time to get top dollar for it.

Personally I would list it for $7400-7600 and see what happens.

Location can make a big difference as well. I live in Socal where the weather is nice all year and you can ride 365 days a year, so the prices hold better here. Places like the Pacific Northwest have so much rainy weather the bikes have lower value. A friend of mine bought his last Harely from a guy in Seattle, flew up and rode it home because it was cheaper to do that than to buy the same year and model down here.

Go for a price near nadaguides.com or KBB.... But as Tony said, remove the mods and well them separate. Unless you get someone who, like us, knows the bike and the mods AND appreciates them, you'll not get a fair price. If you sell the mods separately, you'll get more money over-all.

Here's NADA with the top and side cases...

attachment.php

I think the nada values are off the roof, you get cheaper 2012 brand new bikes as was already said. The Fz1 is a bike you best ride for a long time and sell it then. The 2012 has a much better mapping than all previous bikes as well so even mods can not compensate for 2012 model year.

I would try 6800 and take everything above 6000.

2009 Granite Gray, purchased new in April 2011. Absolutely perfect, not a scratch on it. 7500 miles. Only "mods" are adjustable levers (I have the originals), frame sliders, highway pegs, sport touring windscreen (I have the original) and Givi tail & side cases with the quick release mounts. Always garaged, never dropped, battery tender when not ridden for more than a week or two.

I saw prices on cycletrader for 2009's from about $5500 to $8500. I saw used 2010's over $9000. I realize that doesn't mean they're going to get that much.

I'd like to list mine at a fair price, so that it will sell fairly quickly and so I don't leave too much money on the table.

Thanks

I sold my 2009 Granite Gray last year in the Houston area for $7,000.00 with 12,000 miles. It had Aftermarket slip-on, PCV and a few other goodies. It was only listed for two weeks.

$7500 for an 09??

As already mentioned you can get leftovers with warranties for that price. Around here in the Mid atlantic you would be lucky to get $5500. NADA is worthless in this case and completely out of touch with reality. Go on Ebay and look for completed auctions to get some rough idea.

Back