How to politely say, "you'll never ride my FZ1."

Sactown2008

Might be going on a ride to South Lake Tahoe in June. Several of my friends are diehard HD fanatics. When ever they see my bike in the church parking lot they tell me to "pop a wheelie or shred the back tire." Two of them keep saying the FZ is scary fast and they can't wait to ride it.

How can I politely say to any friend I never loan out my bikes? My best friend doesn't own a bike (rents Ducati), but he would treat it like a baby. I'd let him, but not these two HD jokers I am riding in the Sierras with ths Summer.

Might be going on a ride to South Lake Tahoe in June. Several of my friends are diehard HD fanatics. When ever they see my bike in the church parking lot they tell me to "pop a wheelie or shred the back tire." Two of them keep saying the FZ is scary fast and they can't wait to ride it.

How can I politely say to any friend I never loan out my bikes? My best friend doesn't own a bike (rents Ducati), but he would treat it like a baby. I'd let him, but not these two HD jokers I am riding in the Sierras with ths Summer.

Easy, just say no.

Let me know when I can run down there and jump on your bike. I'll pop a few wheelies and show them some burnouts the length of the church lot just to scare them real well before I wreck. Just like the Mayhem guy in the Allstate commercials.

Picturing that will make it easier to say no.

HD guy "Can I take you bike out for a spin?"

You "No"

HD guy, "Come on let me take her out for a spin."

You "Would you let some other man take your wife out for a spin, NO, then I guess you know how I feel about my bike now, just don't tell my wife, she'll really be jealous now."

I tell people straight up "I have a rule - no one rides my bike"
It's not personal - it's just the way I do things.

Now in all honesty - I have let other people drive my FZ1 but if you have a bad feeling about these guys - DON'T do it!!! I have seen it happen several times - friends are friends until money starts getting involved. Especially if they are not used to sports bikes. If they wreck your bike - then they very well might not pay for it. The 1st time they twist the throttle it could get very interesting!! :spank2:

If they are really your friends - then they will respect your feelings instead of trying to pressure you into doing what they want you to do....

You could always point them toward a dealership with a used FZ1 and let them test drive that one. :evillaugh:

Tell them the FZ1 is scary fast and their experience on HD has not prepared them for the raw power. They should try out a Ninja 250r first and then move up to a 600 before trying out a liter bike. ;)

You could say you only exchange rides and you don't want to ride a HD. : owned:

Or, for real, just be honest and say you just don't feel comfortable loaning out your bike. If they stay persistent, give them a strong "NO". If they are real friends, they will let it die there. :tup:

Harley guys must have a different code than us when it comes to other people's bikes. I would never even ASK to ride another's bike. Not even ask to sit on it. Any time I've ever ridden someone elses bike is because they said to "try it out" or "take a spin". I've ridden Johnny's Hawk, Brian's FZ1, and Dave's VMax, but never once asked to ride. I know that even to experienced riders, Sh#t happens. Like the others have said, it's not a big deal to just say sorry, but I don't let anyone ride my bike. If they ARE your friends they will understand. If not, who cares, your bike is still safe.

I always say the following and it is true:

"Sorry! I once let a most trusted friend ride my bike and he wrecked it. Never again."

Unless, of course, it is Pyrogenic. I let him ride all my bikes. ;)

I let some people ride it, but not others. I don't have a problem politely saying "No." Haven't had anyone push it past that yet. I had a guy offer to let me ride his SV650 last year and I told him up front, "You're not going to ride my FZ1." He was totally cool with it and still insisted I take the Suzuki out for a spin.

"When am I gonna take that thing for a spin?"

"Never"

"Can I ride your bike?"

"Nope"

"Do a wheelie!"

"No"

:)

Dustin sums it up pretty well, but just in case a visual is needed:
grumpycat_zpsba6ff3ac.jpg

Yes I'm bored.:flash:

no

just say no. i let my best mate take my 3month old r1 for a spin because he keep on and on about it. he total it a right off took him 5 years to pay me for it hard lesson for the two of us and very nearly finish our friendship. only for i said to him before he went off on it. i said to him you brake it you own it i might not got a penny for it. so say no no no:looseit:

just say no. i let my best mate take my 3month old r1 for a spin because he keep on and on about it. he total it a right off took him 5 years to pay me for it hard lesson for the two of us and very nearly finish our friendship. only for i said to him before he went off on it. i said to him you brake it you own it i might not got a penny for it. so say no no no:looseit:

Wow that's rough. At least he did pay you back, even though it took half a decade.

I'll let anyone ride my bike provided they give me the total replacement value in cash plus 10% for the PITA it will be to mod a new bike. When they bring my bike back in perfect condition I'll give their money back no problem. So far nobody has taken me up on it. Weird, right?

ya

ya a long time and belive me its hard taking your mates money. you feel a lot of anger at first i could of kill him when it happen. but just glad he was ok when i cooled off. two of us still riding together and sometimes take the piss out of each about it:rmwl:

too right

I'll let anyone ride my bike provided they give me the total replacement value in cash plus 10% for the PITA it will be to mod a new bike. When they bring my bike back in perfect condition I'll give their money back no problem. So far nobody has taken me up on it. Weird, right?
too right lad weird i think thats perfectly reasonable lol.:yes:

Back