How to make a young man's day

A few days ago Frank (BMW K1300) and I were getting our bikes inspected. Just as they finished inspecting my bike and applying the new sticker a couple of young men (20ish) were coming in for the same and started asking me about the Professor. They had a 500 cc Ninja and a Honda CBR 600. They were particularly enamored with the liter engine. They both knew they wanted one eventually but to date had never ridden one.

I said to them "Take it for a ride." They were almost dumbstruck. I said "Seriously!" They looked at each other and the bolder of the 2 said "OK" and off he went. When he came back the second one took off. They both had big s#$t eating grins on their faces afterwards and you might think I just bequeathed my estate to them. We talked some more, they thanked me for the third time, and we parted. Yea, I'm probably an idiot but I guess my goal is that when I'm gone, should my name come up in conversation to someone who knew me, it would at least leave a smile on their face as opposed to "Yea, what a selfish p$%#k he was, eh?"

One of my neighbors has a 2008 Concours. We were chatting yesterday and both of us are interested in taking the others bike for a spin. I think it is risky to let others ride your bike, because your insurance probably does not cover someone else riding your bike. However, I think most bike riders enjoy experiencing different motorcycles, at least I like to ride different bikes, they all seem to have particular strenghs and weaknesses.

Last edited:
I'd do it for someone I know and am with them while on their bike but not let anyone, especially a stranger, take off on my bike. If I could afford to replace it, maybe. If I know the other rider can afford to replace it, likely. Only one other rider has ever twisted the throttle on The Other Woman. And I was leading the way on his bike. I did run his "spirited" so that he could enjoy the FZ1 though. :D

Good for you Norm! You are too kind and trusting sometimes! That's not a bad thing! I'm a bit cynical at times and often think strangers would take advantage of me. Or is that just being over-cautious?

Man thats crazy, but like you say.....worth every bit of the dumbfounded looks you got! I maintain that it's not who dies with the most toys, it's the one who dies with the best storries that wins.....:)

Wow I applaud you for doing that, wait I take that back. I think it was a dumb thing to do with a stranger, your intentions were good but if they wanted to experience one, there's a place for that. It's called the dealership and some of them don't even allow test rides, ever wonder why? Good for you anyway for lighting up someone's day.

Scary

I am glad it worked out well and you had a happy ending. I am sure that you will be remembered by those two for a long time. Hopefully someday "Good Kharma" will come back around to you.
I am not sure I have a strong enough heart to watch a total stranger ride away on my bike, (if we think about it the dealer mechanics do it, which can also end badly as at least 1 member knows).
I still have not let my riding buddy ride my bike, but will likely do just that this summer on our trip. I think he will be a bit shocked at the difference from his BMW GS.

I did that for someone once with my dirtbike and it ended up flying through the air all by itself until it slammed into the ground. Ever since then I am not a fan of letting people ride my bikes.
Good for you for letting them ride your bike. I am glade that everything worked out for the best.

To date I've ridden, and not in order,
2009 ZX6R,
2003 hyabussa,
2007 Speed triple,
2007 Z750,
2008 ZX10R
2009 GSXR 600,
2008 CBR600,
& I'm sure there is more but cant think of them.
All my mates bikes and all ridden on a day out just by swapping till the next stop and knowing if they stack it you have a bike till they fix yours and vise versa. It has opened my eyes on what else is out there but at the end of the day I cant go wrong with the FZ1. Some times you have to take a chance to find out what your missing out on.
Here if you want to test ride a bike you have to fill out a disclamer that you will pay the bike off if you stack it and they will ride with you on another bike from the shop just to make sure you dont play up.:sinister:

Same here. We swap rides all the time and that way I've been able to ride almost 2 dozen different bikes so far including 3 different BMW's, an FJR 1300,a Harley Heritage, a Victory Hammer, a Honda Pacific Coast, and a Buell.

me and my biking mate lloyd swap bikes all the time.....only thing is they are both FZ1's! his is an 06 mine an 09....does help us make comparisons between mods and its a wayof checking if we think either of the 'twins' is doing something we think it shouldn't.

i can think of possibly 1 other person at a push 2 that i would let ride my bike but thats it (barring my mrs getting a full licence), look at it sure, sit on on it after asking me no problem, make a move for the keys and you may loose fingers! lol

good on you though, shows decent people can still be found out there

Back