How To: LED Integrated taillight install (w/o removing tail section)

I started by removing the 2 bolts that can be accessed from under the rear seat that hold the fender eliminator on, or all 4 bolts if you still have the stock piece of crap under there.

Next I loosened the nuts retaining the turn signals. In hindsight, this would be a little easier to do prior to removing the bracket... PIC 61

Next I removed the other 2 large bolts in order to put some rubber plugs in their place and shave some weight. PICS 64 & 63 and 85 & 86

Last edited:
Next I removed the 2 pushpins holding the inner tray in place. I was hoping it would get it really lose, but it doesn't. This step probably isn't necessary, but it did let me move it around a little bit for routing wires. PIC 66

Next remove the sensor or whatever it is at the bottom. It makes it much easier to move/route wiring. PIC 69

Next remove all the pushpins from the underside, disconnect the wiring, and remove the cover. PIC 70 - 72

Then remove the wiring so the cover is completely seperate. Then clean the crap outta it ;) PIC 73

By the way, the pushpins are moved by actually pushing the pin IN a small amount (1 mm maybe) until it clicks, and then the whole thing can be removed.

Now to remove the taillight itself...

First remove the black piece behind it. PICS 75 & 76

Remove the wiring. PIC 77

And lower screw. PIC 79

Then the upper screws. PIC 80

The taillight is kinda pinched in there on the sides by the tail section. With a little wiggling and pulling it came out, albeit hard. PIC 81

I noticed the OEM light had some foam padding on it, so i found some weather stripping around the garage. I"d only recommend using gray like I did if you have a silver bike. You can't see much of it, but I think it might stand out on a black bike, or other dark color. PIC 82

Install the new taillight, taking care to get the weatherstripping in place. PIC 83

Reinstall screws. 84

Next put some weatherstripping on the lower section of the black retainer. I had to redo it slightly from what is shown, as I had to place it further inward from the edge. PIC 88 & 89

Reinstall it, taking care to keep the weatherstripping pushed in. PIC 90 - 93

Now is electrical time. Pull the wires out where you can get to them. Find the turn signal connectors, and push really hard on the COLORED wire (not the black one). It should come free from the plastic connector as shown. PIC 94

I crimped on a barrel connector to the yellow turn signal wires. Make sure you plug in the other main brake/tail connector and test it to make sure you have left and right correct before crimping!!! PIC 95

Tape them up good (better than what I did probably, although you won't be able to see it once routed). PIC 96

I put a cover over the turn signal wires to clean it up. PIC 97

after disconnecting everything from the FE, it was mod time... Removed the turn signal mounts and added some holes to remove a little weight...and just to make it different. The last shots are reinstalled.

Cleanly route some wires and you're done!

Here's a video (no comments on the belly, it was 90+ degress) :)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX_34QLH6eM]FZ1 integrated taillight - smoke colored - YouTube[/ame]

If anybody wants the high-res pics, just PM me your email address and the particular pics you want.

Seller?

If you guys have the info on the seller/dealer on the integrated taillight... I am interested in doing this to my bike. Thanks

That's REALLY nice crazybiker. 3x the cost, but very cool indeed. I was running outta money with my other mods, and my wife hated the little LED turn signals that were invisible in the daylight...So I had to do something right away. I definitly like the one you posted better, but I'd rather have itin smoke color. ;)

Ryan, Do you have a video in the bright sun? I am debating buying these and ditching my integrated light dedicated blinkers which is pricier than this.

Man, wish you had asked last Thursday. Lol. I washed my bike, out in teh sun, with the rear facing the sun, and whiel it was idling dry I stepped back to see for myself how bright it is with the sun shining directly into it.

The further I got away, the easier it was to see. The closer I got, the more it depended on the viewing angle. When I was a car-length behind, I was very surprised how bright it was. I actaully considered taking a little vid, but didn't.... I'll do it the next time I'm home and the sun is out. It may be a few days now...

Ryan, Do you have a video in the bright sun? I am debating buying these and ditching my integrated light dedicated blinkers which is pricier than this.

Sorry is has taken me SO long to get back to ya. I took a couple vids and a pic this morning for ya.

Bright and sunny, from 2-3 carlengths behind. I was pleasently surprised, as it was way brighter than I was expecting it to be.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yQEbj5nnkQ]turn signal from a couple of carlengths behind on a bright sunny day - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkrrXrmJHAw]turn signal zoomed in - YouTube[/ame]

Next put some weatherstripping on the lower section of the black retainer. I had to redo it slightly from what is shown, as I had to place it further inward from the edge. PIC 88 & 89

Reinstall it, taking care to keep the weatherstripping pushed in. PIC 90 - 93

I installed this light but this center piece doesn't hold at the top. Seems like the new headlight is not long enough to wedge this center piece against the groove. Now it is hanging detached there...

I installed this light but this center piece doesn't hold at the top. Seems like the new headlight is not long enough to wedge this center piece against the groove. Now it is hanging detached there...

I think maybe you put it in too far, in the same opening as the tailight sits in. It doesn't clip in right by the light, but there is a slot in the tail section just towards the rear of there. Check out the pics you quoted me really closely and you can see the small opening for the black piece.

If that isnt' it, then I dunno....

Back