How to change to GP style Gearing

SETH46

I am going to be fitting my new rearsets this week and was wondering how easy/difficult switching to GP Style Gearing would be.

Any help is much appreciated.

Seth

Sadly I do not even know what that means. Is that where you reverse the shift pattern? Down moves up through gears and up goes down? What is the benefit?

I am going to be fitting my new rearsets this week and was wondering how easy/difficult switching to GP Style Gearing would be.

Any help is much appreciated.

Seth

If you're using rearsets that keep the shift arm going through the opening in the frame then I don't think it's doable. However, if it's the type that fits outside the frame then it may be possible. I have to ask why do you really want to do that for street riding...

Sadly I do not even know what that means. Is that where you reverse the shift pattern? Down moves up through gears and up goes down? What is the benefit?

Yes, that's what it means. For the street I see no benefit at all. When racing I guess the main benefit is that if you're leaned over and are up-shifting then your foot is sitting higher and thus further from the pavement since it would be on top of the shifter.

If you're using rearsets that keep the shift arm going through the opening in the frame then I don't think it's doable. However, if it's the type that fits outside the frame then it may be possible. I have to ask why do you really want to do that for street riding...

Yes, that's what it means. For the street I see no benefit at all. When racing I guess the main benefit is that if you're leaned over and are up-shifting then your foot is sitting higher and thus further from the pavement since it would be on top of the shifter.
i am very familier with the reverse pattern on the track bike and wouldn't mind having it on the road. No real reason, just to see how it ran on the road.

Seth

i am very familier with the reverse pattern on the track bike and wouldn't mind having it on the road. No real reason, just to see how it ran on the road.

Seth

Gotcha :tup: Well I still stand by what I said before. If your rearsets use the stock through the frame shift rod configuration them I'm not sure how you could do it unless they come designed for such applications. If the shift rod runs through the outside of the frame then you have to see if there is enough room on the bike to reverse the shift arm at the shaft (circled in attached pic). I can't look at my bike right now, but based on the pic I attached I think the clearance might be tight. Good luck with your experiment and let us know if it works out.

attachment.php

Back